back to article Madmen cling to jet-powered merry-go-round

Popular Mechanics hack Seth Porges last week risked life and limb when he became one of the first two humans to experience a quite remarkable jet-powered merry-go-round: The magazine explains that the decidedly dodgy-looking contraption was unveiled at the Gadgetoff festival in New York. It's the work of NY arts collective …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. lansalot
    FAIL

ffs!

What a let-down ! I've seen faster rides at the local fairground (albeit less flame-y).

I want people hanging on by their fingertips for dear life before getting spat off into handy bushes if there's jet-power involved. They'd have got faster with a night on the curry and a box of swan-vestas.

Poor show I say, poor show !!!

2. Citizen Kaned

wtf?

jet powerd my ass. that moved no faster than if 2 kids were pushing it.

3. 3kids2cats1dog
    Flame

A face of Flame

I Love IT!

But I was really waiting for the massive ball of flame to spit out of the tail of one jet into the face of the on coming cart/guy.

PS Why is there a guy pissing on the post through out the video? Must be some kind of art installation....

4. Liam Johnson

stupidity is never boring?

All great until the flimsy little excuse for a post in the middle breaks and the whole thing flies off into the crowds. I wonder if it could be banned as “offensive to engineers”?

5. Matthew Smith
    Thumb Up

@Citizen Kaned

Works here. Maybe you just have a slow internet connection.

6. Murray Pearson 1
    Thumb Up

Those are jets all right...

...but pulsejets (not turbojets, turbofans or turboshafts, which are other possibilities); pulsejets are by far the simplest jet engines as they require no moving parts, but they're not exactly puissant.

This is the second-best use of pulsejets I have ever seen; in first place is the Kiwi offering plans for GPS-guided, pulsejet-powered cruise missiles that can be built in your garage with parts that US cutoms will allow past their border with no questions asked. In third, I would have to say the same bloke's pulsejet go-karts.

7. Andus McCoatover
    WTF?

Madagascar Institute?

Mad(e)

A

Gas

Car.

Put in an institute.

Fitting...

8. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Some folk have just too much Free Time on their Hands :-)

A Health and Safety Officer's Nightmare Ride.

9. Anonymous John

Can I be the first

to ask for a Playmobil re-enactment? It's about time El Reg moved beyond boring old still photography.

Incidentally, the Playmobil Perversions section needs updating regularly).

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/playmobil.png

10. John Ridley 1
    Thumb Up

Who said they ignored the warnings?

Your car is the most likely thing in the world to kill you, and you get into it every day. They should put a "this will definitely kill you" sign out that you can see as you're being born.

So gwan, have some fun.

11. Ian 54
    Thumb Down

dull, very, very dull. Boring, in fact

That is all

12. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Happy

Never heard of the Florida guys propeller driven centrifuge

engine, prop, fuel tank on one side, himself on other.

Meant to be an interesting ride as well.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'arts collective'

Round my way we call them 'bloody students'

14. bexley

awesome

I think this is brilliant, my first thought was " oh dear no crash hats and that guy standing in the middle is going to cop it in the face in a moment"

my second thought was " in this day and age it is heart warming to see such a blatant disregard for health and safety and all that shite, no pursuit of serious science and they were all having so much fun. Look at the smiles on everyones faces"

lovely

15. john 128
    Paris Hilton

Lab bunny?

Gotta love the lab coat over mini skirt getup.

16. Mark York 3 Silver badge
    Joke

The Tragic Roundabout

Where was Flewrence & Flougal?

17. Evil Genius
    WTF?

Oh the Humanity

This looks like a combination of alcohol, bad acid, a few old pallets and the spare wheel of a MK4 Cortina.

Bring forth the 'elf and safety man....

18. Andy ORourke
    Happy

@ john 128

Hi John,

Like me, you musnt be a beard totin', top pocket pen storin' lab coat waerin' unwashed engineering geek, sure the "ride" was slightly interesting but I too was drawn to the nice young ladies in mini skirts & lab coats, kind of made it all worthwhile, now then, I really must try harder to concentrate on the sciency, engineering bits of this web site in future!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woah

Pulse Jets. Sweet.

That is all.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

There once was a title... but now it is gone

"Gotta love the lab coat over mini skirt getup."

Works for me

21. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

three cheers for no adult supervision!!!

Now, let's add lasers, or a 50 cal Gatling gun.

This topic is closed for new posts.