back to article US wireless carriers demand more spectrum

The US wireless industry lobby has written to the FCC, asking for another 800MHz of spectrum to offset "looming crisis" for American businesses. The submission to the FCC again claims that the American mobile networks desperately need more spectrum allocated to them, while drawing irreverent comparisons with Europe and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

CDMA

I think the users per mhz in the US is probably taking density into account. I think a big reason for it is CDMA. UMTS can really squeeze the callers in pretty well, but compared to (2G) GSM, CDMA is far more efficient and there's been nationwide CDMA deployments here for at least 10 years.

That said, the cell cos are mad. 800mhz more spectrum!? They have not even deployed the spectrum they already have! (1700/2100mhz, some at 2500mhz, the new 700mhz spectrum -- all purchased, but almost all idle.)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares

"The US wireless industry lobby has written to the FCC, asking for another 800MHz of spectrum to offset "looming crisis" for American businesses."

OK, so the credit crunch, isn't/wasn't a crisis then, but not having all the spectrum in the world would be.

When will the Americans learn, God, decides what spectrum there is , not a phoney useless greenback piece of paper.

3. Dan Hall

Remote control for cats

Let me know when that's available, eh? It might be worth moving across the pond for

4. PAT MCCLUNG

what to do with US commercial wl carriers

[obscene sexual act descriptor] US commercial wireless carriers!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like