back to article Viking ship resurfaces under Merseyside boozer

A team from Nottingham University's archaeology department believes it has rediscovered the remains of an intact Viking boat under a Merseyside pub - originally unearthed in the 1930s by builders excavating the boozer's basement, but quickly reburied because they feared "an archaeological dig would disrupt their work". …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris

I <hic> Shtill cant remember where I left the boat! <hic>

I pity the poor Viking, coming back after a hard days pillaging and losing his boat, only to find someones built 'Ye Olde Pub ' in its place.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First I've heard of it.

Even though I once lived about 100 yards from the Railway Inn. It's in Meols (pronounced "Mells").

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meat the Beat-Alls

I'm reminded of that old Nigel Kneale drama, "The Stone Tape"; perhaps this pub echoes to the psychic emanations of drunken Vikings. Drunken scouse Vikings. From hundreds of years before the dawn of Guinness. No-one knows why they were there, or what they were doin'. Perhaps they're coming to take us away on mystery tour in their magical swirling ship.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GPR

Yeah, yeah... who nicked the mast?

As a local person - seriously, though - old news. I remember some ancient & revered knowledge of this being under the Railway Inn's car park. The only new bit in the whole BBC Merseyside article (presumably where the Reg sourced it from - now the scousers are getting their stuff nicked by southerners, eh? ;-D ) - that Prof. Harding's team pinpointed the exact location using a GPR device. A rather whizzo combination of new tech & old knowledge.

6. Chris Fryer

Reburied

'For God's sake cover it up. We don't want an archaeological dig to stop the build.'

Best thing that could've happened to it. Archaeologists in the 1930s would have made a pig's breakfast of the thing, missing loads of interesting remains. In fact, unless there's a pressing need to remove the ship, e.g. because it'll be destroyed by imminent building works, it's best to leave it alone until it needs shifting, simply because excavation & recovery techniques will have improved in the future. As any archaeologist will tell you, this is the best excuse you can have for being a shiftless layabout.

7. miika

Call Guinness

This must be the only example of transport in the UK that was left longer than 2.7 minutes and didn't get clamped.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re Reburied

"it's best to leave it alone until it needs shifting, simply because excavation & recovery techniques will have improved in the future."

That may always be true. In which case it would neve be dug up.

I agree about the 1930s (Indiana Jones and the Viking Longship), but I can't see a problem with excavating it now..

9. Sam

Bloody Vikings

Spam, spam, spam spam,

spam, spam, spam, spam...

10. SoupDragon

Inquiry

Apparently they are now calling for an enquiry as to how it came to go aground and who was to blame, blah blah blah... The union of rapists and pillagers expect that any of their members discovered to be on the boat will be cleared of wrongdoing as they were all about to go on duty at the time.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bootnote

They've been back on & I'm not getting cooked. We could do with raising that ship. ;-)

12. Dan

Theme Pub

Why spend 2 million quid raising the ship when you could probably spend less money and reduce the risk of damage by extending the pub around it and have it as a Viking theme pub and tourist attraction! I bet it'd also generate more revenue that way too.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not half as interesting

As if it had been a Viking submarine. Or a Viking tarmac spreader.

14. Steve Browne

Just to be pedantic

Scousers do not come from the wirral or meols

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Def not scouse

I grew up in meols, lovely place and I knew the Railway Inn. About as scouse as calling Gerrards Cross or Ascot Cockney!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did you know there's a pub buried...

....under my local Ikea?

17. A. Merkin

Drink Diving Dodge

They'll prolly find a dead Viking sleeping it off in the Boot of the ship.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Round these parts

As they say; some þing is definitely up! :-D

This topic is closed for new posts.