back to article UK council forced to swallow dick

Flintshire County Council has been forced to swallow dick following its ill-considered decision to rename Spotted Dick as "Spotted Richard" - a rebrand it ordered following juvenile comments from sniggering staff, According to the BBC, the powers that be pulled Spotted Dick from the menu after "several immature comments from a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Twas ever called thus.

It's only when it's served with a custard-yellow discharge that there's an issue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

"will be asked to behave properly or will be refused service"

Looks to me as if they still haven't learnt. Put an amusing sounding item on the menu, you should expect some to attempt what they consider to be humorous comments. The correct action is to smile and say something like "yeah", and one is permitted to think "twat" if desired. It's 'basic' forming of good relations with others, especially when they are customers.

Go overboard and overreact, like changing the name, and anyone could predict you'll be held up to ridicule. Who wouldn't have predicted it ?

3. Cavan
    Pirate

non service is too good for em,

In future, any customers who act in this childish way will be asked to behave properly or will be refused service.

He concluded: "Let common tradition and common sense prevail." ®

Stone em ... surely that's a common tradition....

I can see it now,

All I said was this spotted dick was good enough for jahovah ...

ooh he said it again ...

(Monty Python icon missing)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical

Some people now get offended by the term Special Needs. Someone needs to learn that avoiding potentially offensive words just makes more words potentially offensive.

Plus, don't these people know their Cockney?

5. Maverick
    Coat

is it Friday?

I would expect much better comments on a Friday afternoon post-lunchtime pub of course - but it's only Thursday so let the fun begin anyway

. . . yes, the one with the copy of the Profanisaurus in the inside pocket thanks

6. breakfast Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Good

Now how long before they reinstate that other classic desert, "Throbbing Donger"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Premature headline

It's only Thursday.

Paris just popped up into my mind for some reason after reading this...

8. BoldMan
    Thumb Up

Common sense finally rules

> any customers who act in this childish way will be asked to behave properly or will be refused service

The correct reaction to this "problem" instead of making themselves a laughing stock...

A triumph for common sense finally!

9. Shane 8
    Paris Hilton

Dicks...

Next pull Dick & Dom...

Paris coz she would pull dick...

10. Robert E A Harvey
    IT Angle

Oh, I see

My first thought was "where is the IT angle"? Then I spotted it:

"juvenile comments from sniggering staff"

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

It *is* pc nonsense.

"In future, any customers who act in this childish way will be asked to behave properly or will be refused service."

Thus destroying any credibility this argument had...

A free country is one where we're allowed to be childish about old puddings. Stop people having a bit of fun and pretty soon the frustration builds up to the point where someone goes postal.

12. Kent Brockman
    FAIL

and

is the person responsible for this cock (dick??) up going to be disciplined for wasting tax payers money on this pointless excercise?

Thought not.

13. Alex Walsh

What a bunch of...

...Richards.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh for the love of the wee man!

There should be a new law, people who go out of their way to make the world a dull place should be locked up in a grey cell with nothing funny to annoy them.

So people laugh at the name, people have been laughing at the name for as long as I can remember and probably since the conception of the Spotted Dick.

I think this just goes to show that people get too wound up in other peoples business and think the world should be fluffy, I have a feeling these people don't like movies like Shrek because of the innuendos in them.

Paris because I think she likes a big piece of Spotted Dick .... with Ice Cream *nudge* *nudge*

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dickheads

So is it an offence to behave childishly now? When did they pass that law? Will Flintshire's children now have to starve until they're old enough to make mature jokes about the council instead of smutty ones?

My understanding is that (along with Spotted Dick) making smutty jokes is also a long-standing tradition in the British Isles - and I'm glad to see El Reg maintaining that fine tradition.

BTW, did you hear the one about the councillor who didn't have a dick?

Unbelievable!

Yeah, he was hungry all afternoon.

16. Anonymous John

Spotted Richard

Whoever came up with that, clearly doesn't know Cockney rhyming slang.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

<chuckle>

"In future, any customers who act in this childish way will be asked to behave properly or will be refused service."

<stern>

Play nicely, or you have to go back to your desk early without any pudding.

Oh, look, you've even got a "School Dinner Lady" icon.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do British people have sex?

Bob: "Mandy, I've noticed you in the office and you're really sexy"

Sexual Harrasment Llama: "that sexual harrasment"

Bob: "Sorry, let me try again, Mandy, can I ask you out to dinner?"

Mandy: "You mean like a business dinner?"

Bob: "No, the kind where we get drunk and maybe end up 'pounding pudding' "

Sexual Harrasment Llama: "sex with drunk women is rape, and 'pudding pounding' is sexual harrassment, I'm calling the thought police now!"

Bob: "No, no, Mandy, look you know that dessert that Flintshire council banned the name of, take the second word, and, well you know Garfield..."

19. Russ Williams
    Paris Hilton

@Mycho and @Anonymous John

"Plus, don't these people know their Cockney?"

Indeed. I'd much sooner eat a Dick than a Richard...

20. RayDio

Speckled Richard

If you ask me, guv, these guys are all as spotted as two short planks.

21. Jamie 19
    Paris Hilton

Got to love the title

Wonder why I love reading these articles.

Surprised it was not in the article though.

Council forced to swallow dick with warm creamy sauce (custard you perv)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

My name's Richard and

I would like to protest!!

23. Your alien overlord - fear me

He concluded: "Let common tradition and common sense prevail."

Although obviously only after much media attention showed what a bunch of twats they are

24. Andy ORourke
    Joke

Given they are based in Mold........

They could have renamed it Moldy Dick!

25. SuperTim
    Grenade

Mold is a hole

Shire hall is a depressing place, and god forbid anyone liven up a dreary day in the arse end of nowhere by suggesting that they would like to swallow some spotted dick. No sense of humour the welsh, apart from their fine police force who clearly know how to make us all laugh!

26. Rob
    Thumb Up

@AC 09:14

"My understanding is that (along with Spotted Dick) making smutty jokes is also a long-standing tradition in the British Isles"

Indeed it is and it's been institutionalised with the "Carry On" films.

Long live smutty innuendos.

27. Ben Rosenthal

and it took,

a man named Braun to save our dick :(

this is a sad day for British culture indeed.

28. Anonymous Hero
    FAIL

I wonder how much this cost the tax payer?

I'd love to know how much this cost in council staff time and what "real" council issues were sidelined sorting out this nonsense?

29. SDF1586
    Happy

@Rob 10:14

PRECISELY!

30. Jacqui

Pratt making obscene jokes to catering staff

OK, so some PHB comes in every day and makes an obscene joke about his spotted dick to the catering staff. SO the caterers change the name to stop the officious little git.

Now his mate on the council makes a big deal of it. They should have just banned him from the canteen from the outset.

What gets me is why has this pratt not been named and shamed.

31. Wize

Now people will start using Richard where they used Dick

The name Richard will become offensive and will have to be changed.

In the mean time, anyone called Richard will be sniggered at.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its HQ is in a place called "Mold"...

... and it's worried about names for puddings?

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure who's more pathetic...

...the Council for changing the name of a pudding, or the people who have time to write letters expressing their outrage at the change.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It could be worse...

You should see the comments book at our place when the canteen's dishing up "Manchester Tart"...

35. The Dorset Rambler
    Thumb Up

Ahh...

I'm a huge fan of the band previously known as "Pickled Dick" and am inordinately proud of my badge emblazoned with "I love Dick".

Then the bastards changed their name to "Mike TV" - what sort of name is that ffs?

36. mmiied

@ wize

I once knew a richard fiddler and a richard bolton

I could not stop singgering every time they introiduced them selfs

37. Reallydo Wannaknow

Poor Richard

Like the poor programmer I worked with once (not sure what worms were in his parents' brain), named the fellow "Richard" ... with a surname of "Head". Not surprisingly, he preferred Richard to Dick.

38. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

When my son was born..

...my ex. dropped a turd. It happens sometimes during birth. I wanted to call the boy "Richard" as in "Richard the turd". Vetoed. Ended up as Henry. Can't work anything out from that yet....

OK, going to the shitter now............. Back - no bloody paper. Pity who uses this keyboard next..

@Reallydo Wannaknow - beats that! I had a customer called "Richard Staines". No way could I call him 'Dick'.

Door's open. Barbour on. Gone.

39. This post has been deleted by its author

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crispy Cock anyone?

Ever wondered why the TV news presenter Christopher Peacock always refers to himself as "Christopher", and doesn't shorten it to "Chris" as most do...? Must have such love for his parents....

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andus

A Henry is an eighth of an ounce of weed.

42. Stevie

Hah!

Luvverly.

And they said only the Americans could be so stupid as to rename a canteen menu item for polictical correctness reasons.

43. The Dorset Rambler

@Andus

What a lovely, heartwarming and touching anecdote.

Really filling up here.....

What a silly, silly, SILLY girl to let you go.....

;)

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dick is short for Derrick

Rich is short for Richard, perhaps Hard, but cannot see how you get Dick, or Rick even, from Richard, those are Derricks' nicknames.

It should be spotted Derrick in the full form.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh what a shame...

How about

'Council gets its dick back'

Or

'Flintshire Councillors succumb to desire for Dick'

Paris, she knows good dick when she tastes it.

46. HRH Martin
    Thumb Down

Behave children

I'm dissapointed how much play this non story has got - it's no where as near as funny as the name of a local barman - Lou Pua ...

47. Coltek

After 15 years in US...

.... I still smile when I drive past a "Hampton Inn"

Keep smilin'

48. Neiljohnuk

I wonder if that would include me...

"will be asked to behave properly or will be refused service"

So if I asked for a portion michael jackson and custurd they might get upset?

49. John Ozimek

Hehehe

So, presumably, asking if they're are familiar with the Fanny Craddock version of this great dish is well out of order?

Ha! You think I jest. Go pick up a second-hand copy of "Bon Viveur", Fanny and Johny's book of puddings - one for every day of the year.

This topic is closed for new posts.