back to article Epson P-3000 photo viewer and media player

Epson is probably not the first name that springs to mind when deciding which PMP to buy, and its P-3000 - a numerically and technically updated version of the company's well-received P-2000 - provides a slightly askew interpretation of what's traditionally expected from a portable media player. Epson P-3000 Epson's P-3000 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

USB

But what about USB? Can I slurp images off my camera via USB cable?

2. Andrew Cawte

Not just yesterday's tech... but....

I had one of these almost a year ago and, for the serious photographer, it's a great product. But what on earth has taken this long to get a review out?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can it play BBC content?

No?

Guess I'll have to watch other companies programs then.

4. Stu

RAW formats differ

Its all well and good saying it supports RAW, but since I upgraded my Canon Eos 350D to the 400D, I found that new RAW converters were required for Photoshop, even the older Canon software wouldn't read the new RAW format.

I'm presuming this unit being relatively new would support Eos 400D RAW mode but it's not a given.

Good question too about the USB, cos it'll need to support USB host mode to support capture from cameras, or of course you could just shift the memory card over to it. ;-)

I'm presuming the high costs are because of the greater colour display plus support for Adobe RGB and xvYCC. Also, 800x480 screens are appearing nowadays (The recent Archos?), 640x480 seems lacking for the price.

Interesting one tho.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Epson?

Does it have cartridges that soon run out and cost a fortune to replace?

6. Joe Futrelle

Why is this not a camera?

Why have this device *and* a camera?

Put a large high-res screen and hard drive in a good camera, add some media playback controls, and boom. No need for this product.

7. foxyshadis

Xvid is supported

If it supports DivX, it'll support any Xvid with equivalent options to whatever Divx profile it supports. Newer Xvids will be compatible right out, but older ones might need the free tool Mpeg4Modifier run over them. Pretty much the same situation for mpeg-4 standalone compatibility in general.

I'd probably like this better if it had an even cheaper model that had no hard drive at all, given that I have so many 1-4G SD cards.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Things

"And if you're still in any doubt as to the screen's quality, the P-3000 offers a 400 per cent zoom feature that holds up almost unbelievably well."

Eh? That's nothing to do with screen quality. That is only dependent on the resolution of the image you're viewing.

"It would have been nice to see...Memory Stick support."

No it wouldn't. We don't need silly and unnecessary proprietary formats.

"A video-out port is included for hooking up a TV"

Yes, but what sort of video-out port? Most of these devices are crippled with a composite connection. Maybe we can't expect component (RGB or YUV), but at least S-video would avoid all the PAL artifacts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like