back to article Swiss deploy glass airliner

A certain Harry Lime once famously explained that "in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance", whereas in Switzerland they had "brotherly love ... 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul

Just read about the US plain...

... and I would like to ask El Reg to ban everyone who posts pointing out what has accualy happend. Please ban anyone with a comedy bypass.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HEHE

I like the comic twist you've applied to the photoshoped fliped arithmatic'ed photo as is evidence from the shadow of the walk way on the opposite side. as long as you don't actually belive it!!!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And one with 8 wings

Just to the west of the image in the article is a weird 'ghost' airliner with 8 wings.

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Well obviously...

it's to transport the *holes* in swiss cheese...

5. Nick Pettefar

Cuckoo Clocks

are actually made in the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) in Germany, but feel free to perpetuate the Swiss myth which apparently started with a Mark Twain story.

Emmental and Gruyère cheese and far-right unfriendly politics are made in Switzerland. Even the Swiss Army Knife (Offiziersmesser) was originally German. The watches were English. (Rolex is an English company started by a German...)

Nick - who once worked in Geneva

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like it

I like this bit: "Quite what use Switzerland will make of its invisible air transportation remains to be seen"

Of course it remains to be seen, it's invisible!

Ideal for the mile high voyeur club though!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People in glass aircraft...

Maybe it's Wonder Woman's. Didn't she have a glass aeroplane?

8. Mark

Brotherly Love???

The swiss had the good sense to export terror on the rest of Europe. Their mercenaries were highly regarded through the 14th - 16th centuries.

There's only so much excitement you can take, so its hardly surpising if all they wanted to do was come home and listen to a cuckoo clock after killing half of Europe.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nah, not glass

That's Wonder Woman's invisible jet. I always did wonder how in hell she found it, and now we know.....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cuckoo Clock

Trouble is the Swiss did not invent the Cuckooo clock. If I remember correctly they are of Bavarian origin.

11. andy

Re: Just read about the US plain...

... and I would like to ask El Reg to ban everyone that posts who either can't spell or who doesn't know the difference between plain and plane. Must make it difficult to go on holiday to most places. Plaices?!

12. Alan Edwards

It's not glass...

It's a General Products #3 hull that someone's stuck wings on.

13. Simon B

swastika??

Am I the only 1 that the whole layout and image, looks very much like a swastika ??? I know it's not QUITE right but it's very close!! Maybe there is some conspiracy going on and the german ruler still lives on!

14. Alan Davies

Err

Am I the only person who can't see it?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well the plane may be 'invisible' ....

But the cuckoo clocks inside won't be will they? ;)

16. cor

Ahh the Swiss...

'tis plane for all to behold

'tis not a craft made of glass

'tis one made of purest gold

the Swiss keep up their a...

17. mark

invisible plane - can only be one thing

So that's where Wonder Woman's been hanging out all these years.

18. cor

Glass Boat

I can't post html here, but at

46°15'4.19"N 6° 9'48.56"E

they keep their glass boat ont the lake...

cormac

19. DoubleD

While On teh Subject..

The mention of Harry Lime got me wondering... are there any zither players left in the world?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Walrus was Paul

dot dot dot something about the glass Dalek from that awful old Colin Baker Dr Who story. Insert witty observation here. "Perhaps this is the home of the mysterious Dalek-planes", or something like that. It's Friday afternoon, I can't form coherent sentences any more.

21. Richard

Stan Collymore's private jet?

A whole new meaning to Jet-Setter...

22. Ani

Title

A glass plane makes me want to find an analogy with the adage that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Something to the effect of: Those who fly glass planes shouldn't strive to bomb anyone back to the stone age. Not very good, clearly. Only thing I can come up with I like is: Those who see glass planes, are probably stoned.

AC

23. Rob

Just remember...

The Langoliers are coming...

24. matchbx

re: Glass Boat

Must be a Glass Boat Factory in the area. Here's four more.

46°14'51.53"N 6°11'12.96"E

46°15'4.68"N 6°11'0.65"E

46°15'20.38"N 6°11'18.71"E

46°15'47.30"N 6°11'35.32"E

matchbx

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget the plane

If you look closely, right below the terminal is an image of Jesus Christ's face. It's a smudgy area with two green boxes to the right. Clear as a bell it is, the face of the Christ. The Swiss should dig up that area of the runway and sell it on eBay.

26. Stuart Butterworth

Re:BTW look to the north east along the top runway..a invisable shadow?

the shadow belongs to a plane (possibly a Falcon 2000) thats taking off - its visible over the runway SW of the shadow.

and the original "invisible" plane (possibly 737-500) has a companion in a similar position 90 degrees CCW of that terminal - looks like a 737-300. it looks like both of those were parked at the terminal, and the gate has been swung away from them to allow them to depart.

the plane with multiple wings could possibly be an A320 - no idea what could possibly be causing all these weird effects though.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are here...............

Klingon Airways - gate 3 now departing....

nuqDaq 'oH wIj baS lI'be' nach So'

28. the Jim bloke

Global Warming

All is now (semi) revealed..

Its not a stealth airliner, its a flying magnifying glass, used to melt rival nations ski fields, raise sea levels and render coastal population centers uninhabitable.

Global warming is just another part of the conspiracy fronted by the Gnomes of Zurich.

I wonder how many goats they sacrifice to keep it flying ?

29. Alan Donaly

Oh yah friday.

You know Lester if your going to spend five seconds on this type of trash and then off to the pub with you don't bother it's fine we understand just go.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the missing engine?

If you look in the SSW direction you will see an aircraft at the terminal that is totally missing its outer starboard engine. Or it is a twin with an extra engine tacked on?

Jeremy

31. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Title

Alan Edwards. You are a Ringworld Engineer, and I claim my five pounds :)

32. Eddie Priest

Microsoft ?

I reckon the new Vista interface must be installed in the cockpit.....;-)

Ed.

33. Adam

Obviously works on planes too

It's the secret of invisiblity - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/11/invisible_stilt_dancing_dog/

If you look carefully, you'll also see a dog on stilts and a man with a squirrel in his pocket!

This topic is closed for new posts.