back to article Wii web update wallops BBC iPlayer

Nintendo’s latest Wii system software update “has caused BBC iPlayer to stop working”, the broadcaster has confirmed. The update went live on 1 September and was designed to bring support for Flash 8 to the console’s Internet Channel, according to Nintendo. But Wii owners have since filled up forums with complaints that the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 12
    Paris Hilton

Games console + browser = PANTS

I have yet to see a game console running a browser well (excluding properly hacked ones!)

The Wii one is dire, with video not able to be full screened, the resolution is too poor to view pages well. Shame as the controller was promising for web.

The PS3 allows every pop-up ever made and jumps straight to them making browsing anything remotely *interesting* impossible + the controller is just horrid for web browsing

The 360 doesn't even know what a browser is... probably best knowing what M$ security was like when the 360 was designed.

Basically if you want the web on your TV build a media centre - seriously you can build one for way less than any games console - providing you *acquire* a win7 licence or spend hours banning you head setting up your penguin.

Paris - as she knows how to play games...

2. Tom Chiverton 1
    Boffin

!Flash

"support for Flash 8"

No, no, no.

It adds support for 'Flash Lite 3.1', which actually identifies itself as 'Flash 9', but actually can't run Flash 9-type code (AVM), only the older type, same as before the update.

It does have some other benefits, however, like better video performance. See http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/faq/

3. Jess
    Linux

@ james 12

How does it take hours to set up a penguin?

Geexbox http://geexbox.org is very simple to set up. (But no browser) Linux Mint is simple to set up. The only slightly tricky bit is making the two co-exist on the same PC.

Why do you need Win 7 (apart from DRM stuff of course)

4. Paul Hates Handles
    Coat

I love it when...

...people refer to a business as "M$". WHAT AWESOME HUMOUR, GOOD CHAP - MIRTH ME UP SOME MORE!

5. Kotonoha

MPlayerCE

Get MPlayerCE for Wii and enjoy every video format under the sun streamed in full quality via standard windows file sharing.

6. Wortel

Well

Before the 'update', support for flash was shit on the Wii anyway, I don't see the problem. It still skips more frames than it plays, sound and image aren't in sync, colour depth and saturation is crap, but then so is 'regular' flash on modern PCs.

For just some casual browsing and getting the news, no problems. Displays The Reg fine, despite the tacky fixed-width setup with the huge ad blocks used for the entire site.

7. David Wood

All new iPlayer designed specifically for Wii

I found this quote in the FAQ interesting:

"We are currently investigating and hope to resolve the issues with the BBC iPlayer website. Later this year we will be launching all-new BBC iPlayer designed specifically for the Wii."

Wonder whether this "all-new BBC iPlayer" will be web based or in its own channel on the Wii. It will be interesting to see if the quality of the streams will go up when they get the iPlayer working on the Wii again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like