back to article Mercedes moves e-car concept closer to the forecourt

Like BMW, Mercedes-Benz just couldn't wait until the opening of the Frankfurt Motors Show to reveal its latest thinking on the leccy car front. The E-Cell Plus is a range-extended plug-in hybrid cobbled together from the current Mercedes-Benz A and B Series parts bin, and the Smart. Mercedes E-Cell Plus Mercedes' E-Cell …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cucumber C Face
    Badgers

The leccy car hype rule of threes

At least they spared us the expected time to delivery or the price - it saved us the bother of multiplying them both by three to get more realistic estimates.

That only leaves us dividing the promised range on batteries by three - assuming a following wind.

Badgers - because they have little to fear from this one.

2. h 6
    Unhappy

Lonely

What are you Brits on bank holiday or something? 3rd article I've seen with not a single comment.

Well, us merkins have Monday off for Labor Day, so, tata.

3. Martin 19
    FAIL

A message from a buyer of cars:

The BMW hybrid previously featured is an example of a car that we want.

This Mercedes is an example of a car that we DO NOT WANT.

Would car manufacturers please take note and design hybrids that can be driven by people other than pensioners. Thank you.

4. Eddy Ito

Code name: Guppy

Is it me or does it really look like a fish?

5. Peter Bond
    Thumb Up

Spats

Rather like the transparent wheel trims and rear wheel arch spats. Hope they make it to production.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

i don't know

whether I love or hate the internal colour scheme. On the downside it's brown, quite possibly one of the worst car colours ever. Or colours for anything else not covered in bark*. It's still pretty damn ugly, though- but that's to be expected for a modern Merc.

At least it doesn't have a thoroughly ineffective solar panel "to extend your range". By a full foot. On a sunny day.

*this includes things covered by a barking spider, natch

7. Outcast

I'd buy that

For £10K max

umm.. i think I can hear cuckoos

8. Bob H
    Headmaster

Hmmm

I don't know, the Mitsubishi recently featured has some real pedigree in terms of reliability of technology (Mitsubishi's work on extended life/quick cycle batteries is respectable) but their timescale was mid/late 2011.

I'm not sure I agree with Martin, I'm a Merc fan and own a classic one, but I might almost be tempted to supplement it with one of these. OK, the acceleration isn't impressive but perhaps their numbers are just more realistic than others and it'll get me to/from work fine. Until someone gets a reviewer behind the wheel we won't know. If I knew where Merc was getting it's batteries and engine from I might be more assured.

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Like the colour scheme

White interior and boot. That'll look great after the 1st trip to the tip or after the first heavy downpour....

Then again, going by most lower end Merc build quality, the glove box will fall off before the boot gets dirty.

10. Piro Silver badge
    WTF?

Step in the right direction

For now, series hybrids are key to EV adoption whilst the infrastructure is still being planned.

Now, if only they didn't make it so ugly...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Oooh

Fugly!

And it's a Merc so it'll cost £25k.

I'll buy an old £10 supercharged Jag and spend the other £15k on petrol.

12. Lionel Baden
    Coffee/keyboard

@AC 11:04

You sir most definitely owe me a new keyboard

is p+p included ???

13. jphn37

That ain't a Mercedes!

Doesn't Mercedes own any other companies? because that thing might be great, but it isn't a Mercedes. Mercedes makes luxury and performance vehicles. Performance as in speed. Mercedes should be making electric cars that have four independent motors controlling the wheels that tear into the tarmac. That thing could be a Fiat or a VW, it actually looks more like a Peugeot to me (oooh, burn!), but it isn't a Mercedes. I know there are lots of embarrassed Mercedes employees on this one.

14. foo_bar_baz
    Thumb Up

@Eddy Ito

Haha, my thoughts exactly. Fishmobile.

This topic is closed for new posts.