back to article Anti-virus forgetfulness fubars Fox forecast

Measured and non-partisan US TV channel Fox was left looking rather silly after it forgot to renew the anti-virus subscription on an on-air PC. Attempts to switch to a weather forecast were interrupted after the PC concerned displayed a prominent warning that its Norton AntiVirus had expired. The presenter concerned didn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Prominent Warnings

More like "feckin annoying warning" more like. Yes, I *know* my Anti-Virus is about to expire (in another 20 days or so) and I'll renew it then. So STOP REMINDING ME EVERY FIVE FECKIN MINUTES!!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do they have a weather forcast?

Can't they just ask Murdoch for his weather plans for the next day?

Why *does* Fox hate America ?

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

The weather today.

"This morning will see a large system of EPIC FAIL moving in from the west. This will be followed by an outbreak of scattered redundancies in our IT unit later in the day....."

4. The BigYin
    Linux

Another reason...

...to move to Linux I guess.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Fox and Nortons AV

A match made in hell

6. Dr. Vesselin Bontchev
    Flame

Fox

"Measured and non-partisan"? Fox?! Ho-ho-ho.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Of course the biggest embarrassment

Norton!

8. Steve X

@AC

"Why *does* Fox hate America ?"

Because like in everything else he does, Murdoch just goes with popular opinion?

9. twunt

Norton....

The moron's choice....

10. Bernie 2
    Pint

lol Norton

Security Salesman: "Some people would recommend a pretty system that looks good but doesn't offer any real protection."

Homer Simpson "ooooh lets get that!"

11. Michael C
    IT Angle

It that the retail version?

I can't really tell from the poor video I saw, was that the RETAIL version of Norton AV? I've got the enterprise version running on a laptop i kept from my last job, and it's expiration warnings are tray popups, not full screen displays... I don't use norton on any other systems; haven't since 2003 or so when the software started getting so overblown with fancy features it slowed the machine down too much.

If they're using the retail version, I'm sure someone from Norton was giving a polite call to Fox reminding them that those versions are not permitted on commercially used systems, they have a different licence for that...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It freaks me out...

...when Windows boxes constantly pop things up and steal the focus when they're being used.

I watch in bewilderment as users patiently click them away without throwing the thing out the window (and without reading the pop up).

13. James O'Shea

@ Michael C

And shortly after Fox received that call, someone from Fox would be on the line to McAfee. Who would be happy to sell Fox as many retail or other licences of their crap as Fox would buy and who would not give a damn how they were used.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

In fairness to Faux News...

...that's the local New York Fox station, not the cable network.

Although I think Murdoch does own that particular affiliate anyway.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will Fox support domestic terrorism?

Will Fox support domestic terrorism? Let me explain.

This one is a classic example of a fake grass roots campaign group, Americans for Prosperity:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Americans_for_Prosperity

If you watch the video, this is from the bus tour telling people flat out lies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC65hipGB_E

Here he is parsing the "Living Will clause" (which lets you write a will saying "don't resucitate me if I'm a vegetable"), he says that "Adolf Hitler issued six million end of life orders -- he called his program the final solution. I kind of wonder what we're going to call ours,"

Basically he pretends a Living Will is an order for the *government* to kill someone and not a request from that someone to not be resuscitated if a vegetable and they asked it in their living will. He suggests old people will be asked every 5 years whether they want to live or not by a government bureaucrat.

You see gun toating crazies at these meetings, all angry that their grandparents will be murdered and you see Fox is supporting their cause and their misinformation, and their reporters are also sponsors of some of these groups.

As the crowd gets angrier, it is inevitable that these gun crazies will shoot someone, even a Senator or Congressman. At which point these campaigns that organize these fake turn will be domestic terrorist groups, groups that organise domestic terrorism.

Will Fox support domestic terrorists if they shoot a Senator at these town hall meetings? They support these groups now, they can see them trying to rile up the crowd with lies, the ethnic balance of the gun toating crazies suggests they are not chosen at random.... one time it's a white old crazy, the next it's a black, the next time it may be an armed woman stirring up the crowd.

So what happens when they get their way and a nutter shoots someone because he thinks the government wants to kill his parents? Will Fox be there to report, or *support*?

16. Doug Glass
    FAIL

IT Fail

In "American" corporations, this is the responsibility of the IT folk. Looks like IT done Fail a-gin. Hehehehe

17. Doug Glass
    FAIL

@Anonymous Coward

You are as ignorant as you are prolific; but I love ya anyway.

... end ...

18. Chris 22

The art of putting together a show pc

PC's to be used live (be it power point at a corporate event or stuff to be broadcast) should never have any form of internet connection and have no unnecessary software installed on them and in the circumstances that includes AV. And Windows update. and all the other things that are utterly essential on a normal pc. Install only what's necessary to do the job at hand and test the hell out of that before anyone sees it.

Oh and disable the windows sounds as well, if there's any chance that the sound from the pc will ever be used.... BING! though a respectable pa whilst funny every time doesn't half make people look silly.

19. James O'Brien
    Coffee/keyboard

@TeeCee

ROFL

Hats off to you for that comment....now keyboard please?

20. Bags
    Flame

@AC

WTF! Come down off your soapbox and read the article. Does it mention terrorists of shooting Senators? Whatever you're smoking, I'd cut back, you're getting paranoid!

21. EnricoSuarve
    FAIL

Locally managed AV?

I don't work with Norton (thank god) but that looks like a locally managed installation to me, so Fox and their pals trust their employees to manage the AV?

Self medication would explain Bill O'Reilly so I can see how that might indeed be a policy, either way if this is the case - Epic fail!!

@AC 20th 15:13 - It's all trooo, panic!! I failed to fill in form DW1827/b in time and they executed my grandma; my Dad is still in hiding since we filled in his 'I want to live' form with a spelling mistake, and he's not sure if it registered correctly as a result.

Damned bureaucracy.

22. Tails
    FAIL

@ Michael C

Not only does that look like the retail version of Norton, it looks to be either NAV 2001 to 2005.

Mine's the one with the NOD32 box in it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like