back to article LG J10HD home cinema system

The one-box home cinema system business reached saturation point some time ago, particularly at the cheaper end of the market. So companies who, like LG, target the mainstream have to work pretty hard to make their products stand out. LG has certainly put in some effort into the J10HD. LG J10HD home cinema system LG's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy

Edges of the picture?

What does:

"...and there was a good level of detail and definition right out to the edges of the picture." mean?

This isn't a photographic lens or digital camera review. How can a digital video playback system exhibit a lack of sharpness at the picture edges?

Either a lack of edge definition would be related to the camera and production processes or the display (if it was a raster scanned CRT).

Both of these are outside the scope of this article and display a lack of technical knowledge by the reviewer. It also smacks a little of audio reviewers whining on about breadth of soundstage, etc.

Meaningless, like comparing colour 'liveliness' from an HDMI source.

2. Clay Garland

I don't know.

Seriously, for nearly $600 US, I'd better be getting better than a 2.1. ESPECIALLY, considering that for a $300 permium I can get a Harmon/Kardon 7.1 Surround sound system with an HDMI Switching receiver and a 1080i DVD player. For now tho, I'll stick with my Yamaha 2600 and my Klipsch Speakers run through my 50" Hitachi display.

3. James Bassett

Quality, not quantity

Clay Garland at 12:40. Not everyone has either the room or the desire to stick 8 speakers around their living room along with the necessary cabling! Besides, to my tastes, a top quality 2.1 system is far preferable to the loud, brash, bass-heavy Harmon Kardon which, works great with hollywood blockbusters and American rap/rock but struggles with material with any real subtlety.

Whilst I haven't heard the LG system, the review suggests the sound characteristics may suit a more conservative taste.

And Andy, I thought the reviewer was talking about the sound not the picture. After all, that's what this kit does. Okay, the picture is passed through in order to GET the sound but I thought (possibly incorrectly) that the reference was meant to infer that the level of detail in each separate sound effect and it's stereo placement was consistent "to the edges of the picture". Admittedly, maybe not a great turn of phrase (and I could be wrong) but, seriously, calm down a little and put your flame-throwers away. It's just a review, nobody is threatening your family!

4. Fluffykins Silver badge

So I can't stack it on the shelves,then.

So with the "touch-sensitive circular control that sits on top of the main deck and from which all the menus and functions can be reached" I can't stick the box anywhere close to a shelf above and use it other than via the remote.

That means it's out, on top and in the way.

Nice design feature.

5. Andy

@ James Bassett

I dunno what version of english you are using, but your interpretation of Lewis' "turn of phrase" is truly bizarre, especially as he specifically references the complexity of the picture in the same paragraph. It is truly obvious to anybody that he is referring to the picture. Sheesh.

And as to you comment about calming down. No. The register has been a high quality resource for years, I get upset when I see it dumbed down as it has with Reg Hardware recently. Further your final remark is just a strawman I have seen used hundreds of times to quash dissent. Put it away.

6. john prendergast

Lg J10HD Review

Great to find a good detlaied review but how good is the 5.1 sorruond effect boasted by LG. I hate wires so I currently have Technics system which is 5.1 but I abandoned the rears and opearate it as a 3.1 (i.e. centre speakers and 2 front, the sub woofer bass sound is in the 2 front speakers...it's a hi-fi as well). Anyway is the LG's sound any better than this do you think. Would like your thoughts before I buy.

Regards

JP

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like