back to article Brit firm sells hi-tech fabric vehicle armour to DARPA

In normal times, amazing new military technology is developed in the USA and Blighty trails far behind, either reinventing American wheels or simply importing them. But today the process is reversed in a small way, as the Pentagon's bleeding-edge research bureau has decided to try out British-made tech which is already going …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Gamble
    Thumb Up

Congratulations

Well done indeed. Now get back to work on the backpack jets.

2. David Webb
    FAIL

So behind

Yes, I'm so glad the Americans gave us such wonderful inventions like, Radar, the Jet engine, hovercrafts, the jump jet, tanks, the computer... oh, wait...

3. Outcast
    Grenade

Can anyone say..

E³ = The American Way ( it works for Microsoft !)

4. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Move along now, Really Nothing to See here ......

"The DARPA programme is called "RPGnets", and is aimed at "special high-capability nets to dud, break, or otherwise disable rocket propelled grenades (RPGs)".

There is a Blithe Blighty Program with NIRobotIQs and AIMMORPGs which Renders Wwweaponry Redundant and a Sure Sign of Belligerent Intent/Necessity. One would then Need to Ponder on the Feed that Creates such Perverse and Subversive Needs.

But you surely knew that already from El Reg.

5. davefb

shurely some mistake?

Regarding little blighty , isn't chobham , UK invented and stuck on m1abrahms??

Or am I falling into a QI style trap?

6. Adam Salisbury
    Pint

Just like old times :)

It's good to see some homegrown talent and innovation these days, let's hope Amsafe set a new trend with this win, drinks all round lads!

7. andrew mulcock
    Thumb Down

Like the harrier ?

So I guess,

like the harrier, supersonic wings, RR rockets et all,

As US are our 'special partners', US will taker a small order 'improve it', then make their own version and sell it to the world.

8. andrew mulcock
    Thumb Down

Like the harrier ?

Well done , but I'm sorry for them

like the harrier, supersonic wings, RR rockets et all,

As US are our 'special partners', US will taker a small order 'improve it', then make their own version and sell it to the world.

9. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Night Vision?

Seem to remember that Jerry had it fitted to his Panther Tanks over 60 years ago in the form of an IR search light and sight.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so behind redux

And all from men working in their sheds:

Mills bomb

Stokes Mortar

Blacker bombard (forget that one)

High explosive squash head shell

though there was the Maxim machine gun, he was an American (until he became British)

11. Carlo Graziani

Baiting

Lewis, do you guys have an office pool on who can draw the most spittle-flecked, addled flame in a comment to an article? You sure put a lot of bait out on this one, I can practically hear saliva-washed keyboards getting bashed on both sides of the pond...

12. Balefire
    Happy

Go on, admit it

Who else read:

"Today, DARPA has announced that it intends to give Amsafe a $100,000 sole-source order for thirty "test articles"."

as:

"Today, DARPA has announced that it intends to give Amsafe a $100,000 sole-source order for thirty "testicles"."

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The internet?

FYI ARPANET was made possible because of the development of packet switching - guess where this was developed, NPL, the National Physical Labs here in the UK. Okay okay - I'll admit that RAND played a part too but still!

14. The First Dave
    Grenade

@Anonymous Coward - 16:06

I do believe that the Maxim was itself not much more than an improvement on an earlier design, not really a new invention as such.

15. Tricky Dicky
    Thumb Up

Blacker bombard (forget that one) ???

Wasn't that the prototype for the PIAT, Britain's main anti-tank weapon of WW2.

It had a fearsome recoil that often did more damage to the firer that the target panzer.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So behind redacted

Yes, Britain has invented some wonderful things...and all those years ago!

The most modern item on the list so far: the jump jet in the 1960's. Groovy!

p.s. Britain did not invent radar, but it did exploit it. Must try harder.

17. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Untill Qinetiq or BAE buy it

Which is the usual way a lot of these global megacorps (Lock-Mart springs to mind) "Innovate."

Still impressive for this company.

18. MrT
    Coat

@ davefb, Chobam armour on Abrams

"For the most part Challenger II and M1A1/2 use similar armour with the exception that many of the M1s have the added layer of DU armour. Challenger 2 has Dorchester armour, which is a refinement of Chobham. The Abrams has Chobham, but with a DU layer. Dorchester is said to have a layer of tungsten that fulfils a role similar to the DU."

Warrior vehicles are also being up-armoured with Chobam panels, but not everywhere on the vehicles. It'll be a whole lot heavier than drawing the curtains down the tank sides. However, not everyone is lobbing old-style RPGs around - and how long will it be before double-fuse warheads (PG-7/VR) are commonplace.

Mine's the kevlar one with the DU-Chobam plates underneath...

19. Charles Manning

@Balefire

I though it was Amway supplying 30 testicles. No doubt stacked in a pyramid.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ davefb

"shurely some mistake?"

No, no mistake - and please, don't call me Shirley.

21. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

Sgt Rock is going to hate 'em.

It's bloody difficult to look like a hard bastard when you're driving around in a wheeled mattress.

Does it come with a selection of ticking swatches to choose from? I'm imagining APC's wandering around clad in a chintzy peony pattern picked out on a background of pastel blue stripes here*.

*I'm also beginning to suspect that I might actually be Napoleon's teapot.

22. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

RE: So behind redacted

"Britain did not invent radar, but it did exploit it. Must try harder."

Hey, but they did invent the Magnetron, didn't they? The one that you need if you want your radar to detect targets smaller than the Moon.

And what the Americans did with it? Put it into a microwave oven!

On the other subject - a couple of month after the first BNP member was elected to the European Parliament British boffins are forced to sell their revolutionary hijab for armoured fighting vehicles abroad. Is that a coincidence?

23. JonRB

re: andrew mulcock

"As US are our 'special partners', US will taker a small order 'improve it', then make their own version and sell it to the world."

Almost certain. At least this time we're not just giving the tech to them like we did the key to breaking the sound barrier

24. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Was it just me?

Or did anyone else read the materials name as TARTAN?

25. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge
    Grenade

For MegaBig MetaDataBase Picture Productions*

"Untill Qinetiq or BAE buy it .... Which is the usual way a lot of these global megacorps (Lock-Mart springs to mind) "Innovate."" .... By John Smith 19 Posted Thursday 6th August 2009 18:15 GMT.

And some Novel Technologies and IT's Use of some Novel Technologies/Methodologies are normally bought by Countries for NEUKlearer Virtual Leverage/Fair and Equitable Advantage which Leads with ProgramMING .... Hearts and Minds Projects

* Sweet and Sticky Bait for Mr Yentob and the BBC, if they are in any way Enabled and Capable IT Media Players/Great AIGamers. It is the least that is expected of them for the Future and anything less is their Failure Advertised and their Proferred Remit and Tenure, a Questionable Liability of Ambiguous Worth.

26. not.known@this.address
    Boffin

Nothing since 1960s?

Actually, a lot of stuff has been invented over here but because it is done *in collaboration with* American companies (we supply the brains, they supply the money) it tends to be the Yanks who get the kudos.

And what they don't get through funding 'our boys' (and gals), they get by buying up the company a short time later... the latest "American" whizzo AFV, the Stryker, is simply an updated version of a Swiss design - the Mowag Pirhana - that was used by other nations (including Australia and Canada) for years before the Americans "invented' them... Mowag is now part of General Dynamics' Land Systems division...

In the early- to mid-90's there was an entire floor of a building at a BAE Systems site that had British designers, American Management and Admin staff and was working on something that started as a Joint Venture for UK/US forcces but ended up as a solely-US 'toy' - not because the UK didn't want/need it, but because it was so much better than anything the purely American projects had come up with and the Americans decided to 'pull out' of, and shut down, the JV - but kept all "their" intellectual property and carried on with "their" project... which just happened to bear an uncanny resemblance to what the BAE bods had come up with, but which BAE were no longer supposed to be playing with (I cannot say more as this much is within the public arena - any more and I run foul of the Official Secrets Act. Unlike certain members of our current Government, I know how to treat stuff labelled "Confidential", "Restricted" and "Secret"...).

27. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

@Lewis Page

"*Rocket Propelled Grenade, or Raketniy Protivotankoviy Granatomet ("Rocket Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher")."

The correct name is actually *Ruchnoi* Protivotankoviy Granatomet, that is a "Hand-held Anti-Tank Grenade Launcher". However, the missile itself is called Reaktivnaya Protivotankovaya Granata (i.e. "Rocket-propelled Anti-Tank Grenade").

28. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Far behind?

There is an inordinate amount of invented and designed weaponry here that then ends up in the States. Then it only "looks" US designed. Now where's my carrier-borne, jet engined, swing- winged, ejector seat made safe aircraft gone.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

@ not.known@this.address

If I said HOTOL would you explain the story behind that, thus indicating my guess was wrong, or would you merely stay silent.

30. not.known@this.address

Not HOTOL

I wouldn't have any problem mentioning that. No, this was something that is - quite literally - a lot more down-to-Earth. And decidedly Military in nature.

Sorry, /would have been/ more down-to-earth, but of course it was cancelled..;-)

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@vladimir

No.

From Wikipedia

lthough the first simple, two-pole magnetrons were developed in the 1920s by Albert Hull[3] at General Electric's Research Laboratories (Schenectady, New York)

32. Big Al
    Big Brother

Amazing what being on Telly can do for you...

The boffins behind this (literally?) had it on one of the big satellite TV news channels last week... and now it's been flogged to the Yanks. Coincidence? I think not!

33. Paul Brandon
    Boffin

@scum

Some selective quoting there, what comes before the line you quoted is "The magnetron was first described by German physicist Erich Habann"

Anyway the invention referred to is the Cavity Magnetron (which we gave to the Yanks in exchange for them to mass produce it for us) initially patented by the Germans and abandoned, followed up by the British. It allowed lightweight high resolution radar to be mounted on aircraft. They even used them to hunt u-boats by detecting an exposed persiscope.

I think you'll find on the same wikipedia page the quote the Americans said about the Cavity Magnetron - "the most valuable cargo ever brought to our shores"

34. Paul Owen 2
    Thumb Down

@Covert North American Scum

If you're going to quote wikipedia do so fully - otherwise you may as well go back to who first jotted down the physics and properties of EM radiation. The first cavity magnetron was a German development and the first practical high power cavity (not pole, cavity) magetrons were developed by GEC here in the UK. Britain gifted an example with full plans to the U.S. as part of the Tizard mission.

35. Dick
    Stop

If you have this stuff

why can't you use it in those Merkin helicopters?

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, let's all agree then

Britain did not invent RADAR (where this conversation started) nor did it invent the magnetron (where it ended). Happy?

37. Mike Mongan
    Grenade

British Armor

Don't knock yourself too hard Tommy, I believe you Brits developed the Cobbham armor. That's the plastic stuff which is the backbone of the armor on the M-1 Abrams main battle tank.

38. archie lukas
    Thumb Up

I'm Posting to all my American mates

Huzzah

Brits demonstrate the application of Occams Razor

39. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Palace Barracks Guard ...... Prime ParaMilitary Indivisible Defence Facility

"Not HOTOL .... I wouldn't have any problem mentioning that. No, this was something that is - quite literally - a lot more down-to-Earth. And decidedly Military in nature.

Sorry, /would have been/ more down-to-earth, but of course it was cancelled..;-)" .... By not.known@this.address Posted Friday 7th August 2009 10:42 GMT

How about Remote Viewing Manchurian Candidates .... Maslowian Self Actualised Beings. That is Ethereal and decidely CosmICQ in Nature.

"Unlike certain members of our current Government, I know how to treat stuff labelled "Confidential", "Restricted" and "Secret"...)." .... and thus get to Read and Experience and Play with the Real Stuff, not.known@this.address, by CyberIntelAIgent Silent Default and Right Royal Assumption? .......... Virgin Fast Track to Knightly Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. :-) ......and therefore Paradoxically Worth an Absolute Fortune.

40. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Let's hope they understand what is being sent to them, al.

"I'm Posting to all my American mates ...... Huzzah ... Brits demonstrate the application of Occams Razor" ... By archie lukas Posted Friday 7th August 2009 15:04 GMT

Indeed they can, archie lukas. And they can also use ITs Facilities with Dexterous Ease against Sinister Opponents/Faulty Components/Rogue Elements.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like