back to article 802.11n Wi-Fi to be standardised... at last

It's only taken the best part of decade, but 802.11n Wi-Fi looks finally like becoming a standard this coming September. Official standard, that is. While IEEE Task Group n - aka TGn - members have been arguing and arguing over the minutiae of the fast wireless networking specifications, manufacturers have been offering 802. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bobsch

'Bout time

A standard that finally catches up with real life? I'm surprised they didn't change it just enough to render all the 11n kit out there unusable.

2. Sampler
    Thumb Up

Finally

Been using N-spec for a few months and wished I'd got round to wiring in the router that I had laying around for 6 months in earlier - it's what wifi should be, seamless coverage capable of doing everything I would on the desktop on me tablet in any room of the house - or even out in the garden.

3. Dave Murray

Re: 'Bout time

"I'm surprised they didn't change it just enough to render all the 11n kit out there unusable."

How do you know they didn't? The article doesn't say either way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

IEEE cannot possibly have ...

... a Brit public servant on its committee by any chance has it?

5. David Austin

title

This'll be fun.

Anyone willing to start a book on which manufacturers will actually supply the needed firmware updates to go to Final n-spec, and how quick they'll be off the block with them?

My Money's on Intel leading the pack to keep centrino's good reputation intact, probably followed by Apple.

My expectations on Belkin are already set suitably low.

6. Peter Methven
    Grenade

Doh

Half the delays have been specificially because so many vendors jumped the gun so all the vendors were trying to ensure they could software upgrade their pre-n/draft-n hardware...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ AC

Heh. I was about to say that, except someone from the US Congress instead of a British public servant.

8. NRT
    FAIL

Standards bodys

That took a long time. They should have known that if they had submitted it to ISO via ECMA they could have rammed it through the process in a couple of months.

OK, the result may not have been usable.

Nick

9. Muscleguy
    Coat

Any chance

this will mean a wifi unit for an Xbox 360 might work with an Airport Extreme?

Sorry, mine's the one with the amazon seller ID in the pocket. We did get more for it than we paid at Game though not enough for the aggravation in trying to get it to work.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

:-) aha

maybe a brace of each?

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

And as a trilogy ...

"public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite".

from the illuminaries at el reg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/22/destination_moon/page3.html

12. Disco-Legend-Zeke

The cell phone companies have so much to lose.

Fully meshed networking will replace single-cell, and the cell phone companies have been doing whatever they can to block it.

13. zxcvbnm

Isn't it greater speeds at the same range?

Really greater range? Whenever I look into this the small print says faster speeds at the SAME range not wider range than 802.11g.

It's the "most advanced" bt homehub 2 scam. People sign a new 18 month contract to get one to solve their connection issues then they find that a) it only runs at 801.11g because that's what their clients are using and b) when they do have 802.11n it does not penetrate obstacles any better so they still have range problems. Most people already connect faster than their internet connection but want the signal to reach their bedroom, which this does not help with. Prove me wrong.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

@ Isn't it greater speeds at the same range?

On the box for the Belkin routers the N1 signal arch thing goes further than the g one :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like