back to article Phorm confirms TalkTalk fail

Phorm confirmed today that TalkTalk has terminated its commercial agreement with the web monitoring and ad profiling firm. The company's shares fell another 16 per cent to day to 201.9p. This follows drops of 11.5 per cent yesterday and 25 per cent on Monday. Phorm said it was concentrating on faster moving markets outside …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

Ho Hum

"The Company is extremely encouraged by the fact that BT has stated that privacy was not a factor in their decision making."

Well they would say that wouldn't they. For BT to admit that there were concerns over privacy would be to admit that their secret trials were doubly questionable.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the truth...

"The Company is extremely encouraged by the fact that BT has stated that privacy was not a factor in their decision making."

... how very very true.

3. SynnerCal
    Dead Vulture

VM speak

VM says it's "extending its review of potential opportunities with suppliers including Phorm prior to making any committment to launch any of these technologies."

Translation "Well if Talk Talk and BT now don't want to touch these bozo's with a 10 ft barge pole then we'd better drop them sharpish too - what excuse can we use?".

Phorm - unloved, unwanted and unmissed! (Icon chosen to represent the grave that'll be hosting Phorm Co shortly - I hope).

4. Ihre Papiere Bitte!!
    Happy

hurrah!

I was dreading TalkTalk going with this - I don't wanna pay for my interwebs!*

Thank you, Mr Dunstone & co.

* look, TalkTalk is fine for home use, the 4MB/s I get on their <8MB/s package is enough, and their 40GB/month limit is more than generous enough for my needs. Relatively stable with no throttling, too, which is a nice bonus.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their PR is looking a bit lopsided at the mo

On the one side: loads of ISPs saying "Erm, yeah, thanks but no thanks"

On the other: deafening silence

And of course, what's the first thing you think of when you hear the word Korea? The repressive regime in the North, of course! Blistering work...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'15 markets worldwide'

So that'd be China, North Korea, Iran, Belarus...

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

'extremely encouraged' ???

So take away the main legal concern and (customer) complaint (i.e. privacy), and BT *still* sees no business reasons to implement Phorm. And you are 'extremely encouraged' by that?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well done BT

So I am still extremely encouraged to seek a new ISP then.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Conspiracy theory

BT abandon them, followed by other ISPs. Share price falls. BT purchase them and implement and generate higher revenue per customer than any other ISP... they control the roll out of 21CN and we are all doomed.

10. Annihilator
    Happy

Death by a thousand cuts

Well, looks like they're gradually disappearing!

Presumably they can re-focus the tech into other markets. For example, I'm sure they could sell it to companies wishing to monitor employees t'internet usage...

11. Al 14
    Happy

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA *pause for breath*

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAA

Software hackers, protocol breakers, moral lacking management, it all add up to FAIL. Of course if you can find partners to work with like BT it all seems soooo sweet. Let's just hope that the privacy pirates BT and Phorm give up on a lost cause.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

VM would love to drop Phorm

But if they did, would Phorm spill any beans about any previous VM illegal trials?

13. kissingthecarpet
    Thumb Up

A good omen?

Going....going... Hopefully, more & more bad ideas will be chucked in the bin as a result of a lot of very negative reporting, commenting & blogging in the anti-PHORM style - & good ideas float to the top like cream. Probably far too much to hope for.

Plus they couldn't have a nicer chairman in old Norman "I was Miss Whiplash's Landlord " Lamont.

14. h4rm0ny
    Dead Vulture

Still going?

Just die already!

15. Damien Thorn
    FAIL

oh no its worse than that there dead jim.

All the news is about the uk against phorm.

Seems south korea is also having a few disgruntled web users, im not sure if were allowed to post links so i wont, but there are sites out there that by using translation tools are certainly against phorm even in korea.

I have no idea if its true, but there are some who claim phorm used to make spyware, looking at the BT fiasco you cant blame some of us for still thinking ... they still do.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

All of a sudden I wanna buy shares...

How does one go about this "short"ing thing of which I have heard so much?

17. NogginTheNog

Phew!

Excellent news: TT using Phorm would've been the straw that broke the camel's back and forced me to switch ISPs!

TalkTalk provide flaky broadband (my line keeps trying to re-train from a stable-enough 3.5MB to 6-7MB periodically, requiring router reboots to sort), and their own DNS servers seem to hit the connection stability as well (tried using OpenDNS servers but hated the adverts instead of 404 errors, so have recently started using 4.2.2.1 to 6 - VERIZON DNS servers!).

But they ARE *damn* cheap, and switching back to having to rent a BT landline before another ISP would deign to provide me with broadband would be a real downer... :-(

18. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Phorm not dying fast enough

Just my personal view.

19. L 4
    Happy

An (old) word from the chairman

"We are well positioned to take advantage of the significant market opportunity that exists for our Company. We have built an innovative proprietary technology platform and sound ISP and commercial relationships that provide us with a strong foundation going forward.

Steven J. Heyer

Non Executive Chairman

30 September 2008"

....lulz

20. CockKnocker
    Pint

Praise Be!

So looks like Phorm are dying here then, thank god for that!! Ahahahahahahah.

Oh and couldnt ignore comment from Ihre Papiere Bitte!!, I was with talktalk for 2 years. Worst customer service ever, so bad its almost funny, they do throttle and they are generally $hite, I would love to see them go the way of Phorm. Die Phorm and Die Talktalk.

Beer, cos I like beer, a lot...

21. N2

two down one to go...

But somewhat disconcerting that BT should turn a blind eye to the privacy factor, or are they just lying again?

22. MinionZero
    Big Brother

Corrupt den of information thieves, with strong government links...

Damien Thorn: "there are some who claim phorm used to make spyware"

Indeed they were involved with spyware. It was a previous company the same people ran. Here's the link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/25/phorm_isp_advertising/

It shows what a bunch of crooked heartless Narcissistic people we are dealing with behind Phorm. They have no empathy for anyone. They are too busy thinking about themselves, trying to get rich by trying to exploit everyone. Morally they are outright crooks even if we don't have laws to punish them as crooks (because they have people in very high places preventing it being brought into law to stop them). For example, Former Chancellor of the Exchequer Lord Norman Lamont is on Phorm's board of directors!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/01/phorm_board/

... this corruption in an attempt to spy on everyone goes to the very top in politics and we need legal action to find out who is backing Phorm and throw them out of politics. They are suppose to be our representatives in government there to protect us. Yet Phorm is one of the single biggest moves to create a Police State in history, yet the government has conveniently and consistently failed to take action against Phorm to stop them. If they can't protect us, then who can?! ... Judging by the evidence so far, its the current government we also have to fear, as they seem very happy to let Phorm continue. Even worse than that, one of Phorm's people are also on the government board of advisers, so it shows the government accepts and want to work with Phorm. So much for our supposed government representatives. Even just the visible links between politics and Phorm are very deep and so very insidious, so what else is going on we can't see. No wonder we can't stop Phorm with the government backing them up.

We need one of the news papers to totally blow the lit of this whole corrupt den of information thieves.

23. Pabs

Nobody...

..wants phorm!

Listen to the user base and just ditch it!

24. Peter Ford

Phorm share price down...

.. but presumably TalkTalk's share are on the up now :)

25. Yorkshirepudding
    Pint

FATALITY!

finish him!!!!!

26. PsychicMonkey
    FAIL

it amazes me

that the are trading at 2 quid. I wouldn't give them 2 p for the whole company.

hopefully it's going down the shitter fast.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like