back to article Sky to offer broadband to non-TV punters

Sky's successful drive into broadband is set to shift up a gear in November when it will launch a package aimed at the UK's 10 million-plus Freeview households. Sky Broadband launched last year after the group bought Easynet, but currently only supplies existing TV customers as part of a bundle. It offers up to theoretical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. gautam

Picnic in VM backyard ?

Would they also be able to offer BB over Cable (VM ) Lines ? That would be really interesting. If not, why not ? If all major ISPs can offer BB over BT lines, why not over cable lines ? About time real competition takes hold, isnt it ?

2. David Neil

Won't happen, ever

The reason other companies can use the BT owned phone line is that the infrastructure was previously owned by a nationalised industry which was sold off. As the tax payer funded the investment then it was deemed only fair that no one company should be able to hold the monopoly, all in the name of competition.

Same principal is used to sell electricty and gas, the infrastructure was built by tax money.

Given that VM/NTL/Telewest/Diamond Cable etc. were all privately funded companies that invested their own money they cannot be forced to open up their network.

To use a bad anaolgy, as is the standard way of getting a point over on 'tinternet, you could take the argument to extremes and say all private cars should be available for hire as taxis.

3. Arnold Lieberman

VM

Looks like VM are sharpening up their deal, but I haven't sen much in the press yet:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal.html

2Mb for £4.50 + phone line rental.

Not a bad deal = £15.50 for uncapped (but throttled) 2Mb + phone + weekend calls + free TV package. With a bit of arm-twisting, possible to get unlimited phone as well for a total of £20/month. I used to pay >£60/month for pretty much the same service 1 year ago.

It's just a shame that every communication from them is so informal that it makes me want to punch their first-name-terms faces. Yes, as far as you're concerned, my name does begin with Mr.!

4. gautam

Possible

Given that even cable IS a Monopoly now, how about using anti-competitiveness/anti trust as an argument to force open network to new players (of course at a price - like BT does and milks smaller ISPs) ? Surely, better for competition ! The award winners have always been smaller players due to good services & support, which they can replicate on Cable network.

Any comments OFCOM ?

5. keith

why

why do thease company offer faster broadband if people cant get thease speeds its stupid bt upgrade your lines your lacking in competition all the other world are on 100mb or higher where not even there simple as that get fibre optic now

6. Ryan

O2 delayed it's launch twice?

But I already get my juicy 24Mbps through Be* - owned by O2.

Surely just a rebranding?

7. Joe K

Kick up the arse for VM

Hopefully this will convince VM to drop the ridiculous throttling they've recently implented, which is the sole reason why i'm considering ditching them.

Sure, Sky ain't perfect either, but at least you get what you pay for, and don't get your speed cut in half every night yet still have to pay the same like with VM now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sky is rubbish

get them out!!!!!!!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sky tv

i am a ex subscriber to sky tv and although i would like more choice of things to watch on the free to air and ftv channels, i would never subscribe to sky tv again.

in fact if it wasnt for the law, i would no longer pay for my licence to watch tv because in my opinion it isnt worth it.

to me television is all about profit..ok it has always been like that but it became worse once thames television was disbanded.

now television is all about clever phone in to win a prize (and in the process we will rip you off)

i am sick of television in its present form

it has become like politics...need i say anymore?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like