back to article NY Stock Exchange cures jitters with Juniper

NYSE Euronext, which operates stock and options exchanges from ten data centers worldwide, has picked Juniper Networks as a primary backbone infrastructure supplier for a pair of redundant data centers that'll consolidate operations in New Jersey and outside London next year. Steve Rubinow, NYSE Euronext's chief information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

how wonderful...

how wonderful to read an article about networking and not see "Cisco" mentioned once.

Not that I have anything against Cisco, but it is most certainly not a Cisco-only world, despite what your network manager would tell you...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a real-time system ...

150 ms is an infinity of latency. It all adds up, y'know!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

No. Stupid fatal error.

For god's sake, it's only been a few years since the last meltdown caused by automated trading systems running away in a positive feedback spiral. Anyone who knows anything about economics and about cybernetic control mechanisms would see in an instant that a bit of packet delay is a *good* thing; it amounts to putting some damping on the feedback loop.

4. Mark 65

Re:No. Stupid fatal error.

Err, no. When you're running big arbitrage positions it's the delay that causes the problems.

As for "a meltdown caused by automated trading systems running away in a positive feedback spiral" I think you'll find that shit coding and stupidity cause problems wherever they surface but it doesn't mean that things shouldn't advance, just that people should take more care over what they do.

5. Matt Davey

@Stupid Fatal Error

Sure, you go ahead and have some dampening latency, and I'll arbitrage you out of business.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Greg

They're talking microseconds not milliseconds so it's actually only a thousandth of an infinity.

7. Chris Morrison
    FAIL

@Greg Fleming

A 150 ms may be a lot in a real time system. But we're talking about 150uS only a factor of a thousand faster.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Phew ...

That's good then. Apologies for the misread.

This topic is closed for new posts.