back to article Nokia to develop Intel-based pocket internet gadgets

Intel and Nokia will jointly develop x86 CPUs, chipsets and a "user-friendly pocketable" internet access device to put the parts in, the two giants said today. The new platform will go "beyond today’s smartphones, notebooks and netbooks", they proclaimed. But to us it sounds a lot like the Mobile Internet Device (MID) notion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hmmm

We already have these devices

They're called the smartphone. Why would I want to carry another device?

2. studentrights
    Jobs Halo

It's called an iPhone

Already been done... next!

3. Mike Gravgaard
    Megaphone

"But the N810 is based on ARM chippery"

I don't understand why you would want i386 based technology on a mobile device.

There is a reason most mobiles use ARM based processors and for that matter look around your home and look for low power devices which use i386 technology.

I don't see the point - I don't think i386 is the right route for low power - yes, we have the Atom but why bother? I want low power.

I just got a Linksys Slug and I'm highly impressed it with. I believe it uses about 8 watts.

Mike

4. armyknife
    Unhappy

No EPOC/Symbian then.

So no chance of them doing an updated 5mx.

5. Warhelmet
    FAIL

Chestnuts roasting on a open fire

Ah, dem intel devices, him run very hot. Nice day, I'm in my shorts. Don't carry a man bag. intel devices = sperm frazzle.

6. Charles Manning

x86 equivalent of iPhone

I don't know how Nokia are going to make a phone with a laptop size battery, cooling fans and 2 hour standby time sexy and trendy,. but no doubt they know their business .

7. vincent himpe

i see we have new icons.

but isn;t it ime to take bill down and put steve in place ?

and where is the bullethole riddled pinguin icon ?

8. Martin 6 Silver badge
    Jobs Horns

Why i386?

At some point just before the launch there will be an announcement that Linux is too complicated for users/ users aren't familiar with it and there will be a cut down Windows 7 for smart phones.

Coincidentally and completely unrelated to this a large cheque will go from Redmond to Finland and Santa clara

9. northern monkey
    Welcome

I

...don't have much to say, I just wanted to use some of the new snazzy icons.

Though I agree wholeheartedly with Warhelmet, and the other posters. I don't want frazzled sperm, and I don't get why they're moving from ARM to intel.

I am pleased to see 2 big players collaborating on linux - with the windows 7 price tag looking more than some distributors are willing to shoulder on netbooks and cheapo laptops it could be linux's time to shine!!

I, for one, welcome the new iconery!!

10. Critical

x86-compatible architectures don't have to be power hogs...

... RDC in Taiwan have been making low-power x86-architecture CPUs for a while now, and they are actually quite impressive. You can get yourself a Bifferboard that uses one for less than 30 quid and see for yourself - 150MHz x86, ethernet, USB host, etc. all at under 1W.

Compared with the ARM instruction set and architecture in general, the x86 is an inelegant pile of crap, but don't be blinkered by thinking that small-cheap-fast can't be done with x86 - it clearly can.

11. Cameron Colley

RE: Why i386?

That was my first thought too -- using i386 chips makes using Windows a whole lot easier.

Anyone still think that ARM+Linux has a hope in hell in the netbook or phone market? Nokia certainly seem to be betting against them. Apparently it's what everyone wants too.

12. James 47
    Stop

Panic stations

For both companies. Nokia is rattled, so is Intel. This will be a flop.

13. Torben Mogensen

@Critical

"150MHz x86, ethernet, USB host, etc. all at under 1W."

150MHz is not very much, so not really comparable to Atom or modern ARM SoCs. If you want to compare power usage, do so for chips with similar specifications or compare specifications of chips with similar power use.

For example, TI's OMAP3 processor uses 750 mW maximum, but is much more powerful than what you describe: 800MHz ARM Cortex-A8, three media processors and lots of connectivity.

14. Janko Hrasko
    Grenade

@{iPhone-tards}

Because iPhones (in smartphone sense) are:

- not smart enough

- rubbish on battery - even worse if you need 3G on 24/7

- locked in to operators

- illegal to hack

- not enough decent software (I don't need it to calculate how to split the bill :-P)

- WAY too expensive

... etc, etc.

n810 can now be picked up for around £160, so there is no point having "netbook" or eBook reader for that matter.

15. Tom Chiverton 1
    Linux

@Janko

You'll be pleased as pie when the N900 comes out then...

16. Torben Mogensen

The sole advantage of x86 ...

... is the ability to run desktop Windows applications natively, either under Windows or Linux (using Wine). ARM needs emulation to handle this.

Whether this is important enough to accept a higher price and considerably higher power use is up to individual users. For me, it isn't: The only Windows programs I regularly use that have no direct equivalents on Linux are games.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like