back to article Microsoft bribes Oz to ditch Firefox

Microsoft isn't just bribing people to use its search engine. It's bribing people to ditch Firefox for Internet Explorer. "We're buried $10,000 somewhere on the internet and if you're the first one to find it, you get to keep it," Microsoft's Australian arm has told the Land of Oz. "But you'll never find it using old Firefox …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. rcmattyw
    IT Angle

Meh

Meh, I'm running the Windows 7 RC so it has IE 8 already, just combine it with the IE Tab extension for Firefox and voila!

2. Doug Thompson
    Linux

I'd rather have a social disease

"So you'll have to endure Internet Explorer 8 and Twitter for less than $10,000. Not much of bribe, that."

Spot [bleep]ing on!

3. Magilla
    Gates Horns

Dear Microsoft

Get stuffed.

No love,

Australia

4. Dunhill
    Coat

smart ??

Now we know at least a few things:

A) ie8 is not using standards else you could use opera/ff as well

B) ie8 is prob. crap, else it would be chosen for its quality and not for a $$$ bribe.

C) what other "easter eggs" or "options" are hidden in ie8 ??

So ms pays/bribe you when you search+shop with blunt/live/whatever they call it today, but if you get too smart they cry foul-play

So what will happen if a bunch of smart guys "find" the treasure at the same time ??

i would LMAO

And one thing is for sure:

the ms pricing will go up to cover all those financial games.

i think you have a better chance in the lottery ...

<my warped blue striped coat with pinguins and dragons on it ...>

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why install IE?

...when you call fool it with changing the user agent for the same result?

It's not even like it does anything like using rendering quirks to hide the content from non-IE8 users...

6. Bogsnot
    Linux

So, which is it

Is it such a piece of shit of a browser that they have tp pay you to use it.

Or is this just "advanced compensation" for when the innate vulns in IE cause you to be a victim of ID theft?

7. garbo
    Gates Horns

Oh, really?

So the voucher's location has not already been leaked by one of the MS team to a pal who'll split the prize later? Forgive my scepticism about *anything* concerning MS.

8. Lindsay Roberts

WTF???

If Micro$oft thinks it can bribe me to ditch Firefox for the latest version of the crappiest browser in the world, the are deluding themselves, as I am EARNING almost this amount in the last few weeks flat out removing IE8 from my customers computers! They got it automatically thru windows update, no notification it was going to happen, THEY'RE NOT HAPPY!!!

Microsoft, GGF

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Poe's Law - Microsoft corollary

Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Microsoft advertising that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Give me the $10k first,

then I'll happily ditch Firefox and use IE8. I'll even install Windwoes!

Ten grand should just about compensate me for a week - maybe two - of pain.

11. askvictor
    Thumb Down

User agent

This is dumber than you'd expect. It just checks the user agent of the browser; install user agent switcher in FF, and an agent for IE8, and you get the clues. Not that you'd want to bother...

12. Tom 35

How long before

Some joker sets up a fake "you won" site :)

13. BoBeR182
    Pirate

http://i42.tinypic.com/jr381k.jpg

i think i b0rked it yay FF3 and useragent switcher

http://i42.tinypic.com/jr381k.jpg

14. Vigilante
    Coat

Not just Firefox

I visited the site in Chrome and got this message instead:

"But you'll never find it using tarnished Chrome,

(So get rid of it, or get lost)."

Looks like microsoft just doesn't like anyone who doesn't use IE8.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ahem

*cough* change the UA string in Firefox *cough*

Or is there some secret sauce that MS has included in IE8?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Found it

It was all in loose change down the back of Gates' sofa.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Yeah right.

Been the greedy, lazy sheep that us Austalians, sorry we are not "Australians" any more but we are "aussies" (groan) M$ are on a dead set winner here.

But why can't the competition be followed with another browser other than IE? Is not IE8 a "standards compliant" browser these days?

18. Steve Roper

IE Tab?

IE Tab is simply an IE window in Firefox, so it's not really Firefox... Use User-Agent Switcher instead, and copy the IE8 headers into the header spoof panel! Although knowing Microsoft they'll probably bury it in an ActiveX control or some crap like that.

I won't be bothering though, myself. Suxplorer 8 is still Suxplorer.

19. frank ly
    Stop

A Possible Reply

I suggest that the Mozilla people run their own advert, where they place one very simple clue that leads to a web page that only IE users can access. This web page will have a download that will wipe IE from your computer and replace it with Firefox.

The selling point can be that with Firefox on their PC instead of IE, the time and aggravation that Australian citizens will save over the next year will be worth over $100,000 as a nationwide total. Go worldwide and make the advertised savings as $millions.

20. BoBeR182
    Gates Horns

Lets do it

get the money using firefox or anyother non IE browser

then we donate all the money to mozilla org or opera idk

and what will MS say after

"Ummm we got out smarted by opensource ppl that took our money and donated it to their devil appz" - billy gates

i declare this win

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Phishing scam

Yeh, come here, there's ten grand, just click this link and accept the Active X control it downloads....

And if it doesn't work, keep doing that whenever you see anyone offer you 10 grand to just make sure it's not us, we'll offer lots of consolation prizes in the form of addons for your browser along the way.

ONLY AVAILABLE WITHIN INTERNET EXPLORER 8!

22. Tommy Pock

I really hope

I really, really hope they try this in Europe. Not even Microsoft will be able to afford the fine

23. Fihart

Can't give it away.

Tom's Hardware had a similar IE8 competition for US users.

MS can't give away their browser. In fact, now they'll pay you to take it away.

24. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Happy

Unsure what you're getting at?

You story is very vague, "If you're the first Microsoft whore to find the dough, you get to keep it.", just a tad too subtle for me. I've not idea what your'e getting at!

25. Keith T
    Thumb Up

I could use the money. Mozilla, Apple and Opera should run their own contests.

Mozilla, Apple and Opera should run their own contests.

Competition is what freedom of choice is all about.

26. Mr Templedene

They don't bother with Opera

Yes they know it's not IE but they just say

**But you'll never find it using that browser.

"(So get rid of it, or get lost)."**

27. Time for a career change
    Linux

Never mind the quality....

So now we know, IE8 doesn't comply with standards, and is bloated with MS-unique features. What other malware does it contain?

Are MS going to pay for web devs to be trained to deploy these "features" on sites? No, thought not.

Are we going to see a rise in the number of IE-only sites, just when web devs are abiding to W3 standards, and the number of browser-specific sites is diminishing?

I'll stick with my Linux/Firefox desktop, thankyou. MS can stick their cash where the sun don't shine.

The Penguin, the answer.

28. Robin 2
    Pirate

Extra bonus for finding in Firefox???

Do you get an extra bonus for finding the bounty in Firefox, Opera or even Lynx?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doh!

Congratulations you have won Microsoft's $10,000 treasure hunt. Click here to download the winner's voucher, winners_voucher.exe, to claim your prize.

30. This post has been deleted by its author

31. Dave 30

Search genius

So.... The top Google result for '3000 upside down microsoft'?

It's an article about Microsoft laying off 3000 people.

32. Golodh
    Thumb Up

Brilliant marketing from Microsoft

This must be the best value for money in the history of marketing. In return for an investment of a paltry 10k dollars they got themselves (free !) wall-to-wall coverage in just about every computer magazine on the planet.

That kind of money won't even buy you a decent editorial or a cover photograph anymore. Perhaps you'd get a half page full-colour on page two, but that's it.

Learn from Microsoft people!

33. Joseph Haig

@Tom 35

More likely, a slew of "Congratulations! You've won $10,000 from Microsoft!" emails.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about you just go...

...to http://twitter.com/tengrand_IE8

Using everyone's favourite browser lynx, for example:

http://i43.tinypic.com/11uvoux.jpg

I wonder what magic they'll be using to conceal the actual "loot".

35. Gwilym
    Gates Horns

conditionals

my guess it's using microsoft conditionals, so changing the user agent probably won't help.

36. Peter Murphy
    Thumb Up

Yep, User-Agent does the trick from Firefox.

Just use the magic string "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0)". You'll be in like Flint.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not a browser

Firstly $10,000 is worth about as much to Microsoft as the pus out of a pimple on my bum is to me. It probably cost MS more in lunches for the marketing bods to come up with the idea.

Secondly, this IE8 is obviously not compatible with any standards so why don't Microsoft stop calling it a browser and give it some other name thereby also avoiding all the ant-competition stuff.

38. Happy Skeptic
    Stop

Another reason this is stupid

Cue the flood of people forwarding those stupid 'If you forward this email to X people Microsoft/Bill Gates will give you $10,000"

39. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Ten grand, eh?

I will save that much over a few years just by using Linux instead of Microsoft's (and partner's) offerings.

40. fink

ie is the only browser with this, this, this...

Almost as good as this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/get-the-facts/browser-comparison.aspx

Get a look at it before someone sues them.

41. Ian Ferguson
    Paris Hilton

Is this real?

Or a phishing scam? Or a joke? I can't actually tell :-(

42. Gerard Krupa

Complaints

They must have bowed to the pressure of complaints, as it now says (so get rid of it or get lost...) and when you mouse over it changes to 'get lost in the hunt'.

43. JohnG

Shot in the foot?

As a marketing strategy, this looks a bit dodgy. Users who are using early versions of IE may wonder why MS is so keen to bribe them to use IE8 and assume that it must be a pile of crap. Also, whilst many of them may not have known or bothered about Firefox before, the very fact that MS is prepared to bribe them to steer clear of Firefox may pique their curiosity enough to try it.

44. RichyS
    Gates Horns

Standards

So, I'm guessing that if you can't find the 10 grand using Firefox, then that 10 gee doesn't adhere to web standards...

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Castlemaine, Shelia's Wheels, Fosters

All Australians are lacking in education, prefer to be drunk, and are proud of 'not taking themselves too seriously'. That's according to every advert for Australian products I have ever seen on British TV anyway. They should think themselves lucky that Microsoft have tried to suss out their parlance, they'd never dare use a phrase like 'get lost' in their British advertising because like most yanks they think we all prance around wearing bowler hats and having tea with the queen.

By the way Cade, Windows Explorer isn't a web browser, it's the file browser in Windows. As an Apple whore you are excused from knowing that but maybe the editor on an 'ITsite' should have spotted it.

To all other pppppp-posters, I'm not a Microsoft whore, or an OSS whore, just a human being who is glad not to need to define myself by saying things like...

"I am so clever that I can see the marketing tricks Micro$oft uses, and the flaws in the software they produce. That's not enough though, I also need to constantly point out how superior that makes me and how stupid everyone else must be if they don't make the same decisions as me regarding what software to install on their hardware"

Love you all really though (you bunch of twats)

x

46. alistair millington
    Gates Horns

HOLD ON

That's Ozzy dollars, which are about 3 to the pound. So you have to endure IE8 for about 3500 quid. (give or take the exchange rate)

It isn't worth having.

And you have to endure a social networking site for more than ten minutes at a time. Yes twitter might be okay, now and then in small doses, but some of us actually have lives, and jobs and the need to talk to a live person.

47. bex

the word

The word ill-advised springs to mind

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh

As others have pointed out, just change your user agent using a plug-in switcher. An IE8 one is:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; MS-RTC LM 8)

With that in place I am now able to get some MS love on Linux. Mmmm, don't I feel all cosseted.

I like the idea of OpenSauces getting the money and then donating it. But it really would not surprise me to find out that MS is using some non-standards trick to make sure only IE8 can access.

Either way...OpenSauces claiming the prize is a PR disaster for MS:

1) THey got taken by the OpenSauces; or

2) They have to admit to non-standards in IE8.

49. Enrico Vanni

Hunting on Safari?

Are the Mac fanbois prepared to mount a legal challenge to this, seeing as there's no IE8 for MacOS and there never will be....?!

50. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Jesus Christ

Did they hire the same great team that dreamed up "Della" for Dell?

51. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

User Agent Switcher

... in Firefox, even on Linux (!!), works just fine. You can just edit the provided IE 7 agent or use these settings (they work):

Description: Internet Explorer 8 (Windows Vista)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1)

App Name: Microsoft Internet Explorer

App Version: 5.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1)

Platform: Win32

52. Adam 10
    Coat

Boilerplate

I agree with what they all said, I think <insert name of multinational> are really bad for promoting <insert name of product A> when I can use <insert name of product B> which is much better than <Product A> and <Product C>. I use <insert name of OS> anyway so it doesn't affect me.

Isn't that how comments are usually written for a web browser or OS article? ;-)

Anyway, doesn't this prove that Internet Exploiter really makes you more productive than DireFox? Provided you find the $10K of course!

53. Ivor
    Thumb Down

Konq

meh it just says "never find it using that browser" in konqueror.

I see they've now changed the abuse from "get lost." to "get lost..." with a rollover that says "lost in the hunt".

54. Matt Bradley
    Go

A gift to driveby scammers

Is this for real? Is it April 1st again?

Assuming that it is (and I'm finding it very hard to believe) - it means that Microsoft have launched IE8 in Aus with a BUILT IN gift for driveby download and phishing scammers. All some enterprising scammer has to do now, is start sending out emails subject: "Find the secret MS $10,000", containing a link to a dodgy scam site, and entrants into to this new MS contestant will have their brand new IE8 browser used to steal their identity, or install malware on their machines.

This is BRILLIANT. Can't wait for the IE8 news stories from Aus over the next few months.

Wheres the "laughing my b***cks off" icon?

55. Bernie 2

Gee...

...you'd think M$ could afford a nicer price.

It'd take you half an hour to win more money than that on most cheapo day time TV game shows.

Maybe if they were pitching a Ferrari or a new house or your own call girl or something it might be worth installing a UA switcher on Firefox and giving it a go.

As it stands, who cares.

56. Robert Forsyth

Good Publicity, Bad Publicity

it's all Publicity.

As someone pointed out, it is incredibly cheap advertising.

Also pointed out, if GNU/Linux doesn't 'sell', because it is free*, people will be removing IE8 like mad.

*free - they are giving it away, it must be a turkey.

It annoys me when the Goliath does this, but we seem to be lacking Davids - it is like a Hollywood movie in negative: the big, evil, anti-American corporation, doesn't get blown to bits at the end.

57. Lionel Baden 1

erm

can i use firefox with ie add on ??

58. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

@ the word

Isn't that two words?

:-)

59. Martin 74

MS not got their own storage????

The background image on their Twitter page is stored in Amazon's cloud:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitter_production/profile_background_images/18636171/SMIS0308_IE8_twitter_bg.jpg

Does M$ not have their own webspace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not getting the nasty message about not using IE8 when I go on the page, they taken that bit out?!?!

The working is confusing, it doesn't quite say in the T+C that it is IE8 exclusive:

7. The Clues URL and Hidden Webpage can be viewed in Internet Explorer 8.

CAN be viewed in IE8 and other browsers also?!?????

60. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

RE: ie is the only browser with this, this, this...

fink wrote: "http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/get-the-facts/browser-comparison.aspx"

It's such a heap of BS. I mean everyone with half a brain knows Internet Exploiter is a pile of poo.

Microsoft have set the criteria for compairson so obviously they've chosen ones they think they can win. Even then, it's mostly innuendo and lies!

61. Andy 13
    Linux

Read my middle finger M$

Your ugly grey rectangular virus inducer won't run on my operating system.

62. Linbox
    Stop

You can use FF

My machine has IE8 installed (for compatibility reasons) but I never use it. I don't have anything "clever" enabled in FF and yet that website is more than happy to show me the clues. It looks as though having IE8 installed is enough...?!?

Can anybody else confirm?

63. John Molloy

Not Just Firefox...

Basically it comes up with the browser you are using - quite a few of us Mac people were complaining YESTERDAY about it's demolition of Safari. So it's not basically picking on FIrefox - it's just picking on EVERYTHING which is NOT IE8.

The wording was amusing though - but they'd never get away with it in the UK.

64. Jesthar
    Gates Horns

Red rag to the Opensource brigade, then...

... as unless it's something preclusive like a craptiveX widget, they're gonna find a way to hack it just for the bragging rights and the chance to rub M$ noses in the doodoo - even just make it work in an older version of IE, of course, but one of the 'alternate' browsers would be best!

And as an aside, a colleague of mine who works for a sizeable IT company told me yesterday to avoid IE8 like the plague, as the 'advanced' security was playing havoc with their ability to do any legitimate work involving anything IE had chosed to define as 'potentially dodgy' (which apparantly includes Java, and possibly elements of JavaScript, too, at first sight), and trying to disable the offending 'features' is a nightmare...

65. g e

I have concealed $20,000 on the net

But you'll not be able to find it in any version of Internet Explorer as it's a standards-compliant site.

66. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Mark 149

You, me, outside, now.

67. Tony Smith 1

First Security Issue (1 of many?)

https://www.tengrandisburiedhere.com/

www.tengrandisburiedhere.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for the following names:

msdness.microsoft.com , shell.windows.com

Typical MS really, they have not thought this through have they

68. Shakje
    Stop

@Lindsay Roberts

No wonder your customers ARE NOT HAPPY!!!1 They're paying someone almost $10,000 who DOESN'T under$tand HOW to USE CAPS LOCK or a $ sign. Seriously, Windows Update updating a piece of software? Who'd of thought.

In related news, what twat thought this was a good idea? Although Fink's link is actually worse..

69. Tony Smith 1

Am I doing something wrong?

This displays fine in Firefox 3.0.10 running on Kubuntu 8.04

I don't have any user agent modifications.

70. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Lindsay Roberts

Then clearly your customers are as thick as a whale omlette as IE8 is not a critical update but a recommended one.

If they cant read or understand what they are installing then there lack of intelligence is hardly the fault of MS.

IE8 works, simple.

71. CorpusCani

Yoiks...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/get-the-facts/browser-comparison.aspx

I REALLY wish I hadn't read that, I felt a rash of sudden anger and vitriol nearly explode out of me...

IE8 MORE standards compliant my arse... and its CSS implementation is buggy.

There appears to be a bug with the min-height attribute when styling a unique element by "id", the content ceases to define the height so, with overflow: hidden, it'll get cropped - it's fine if you assign the styles inline or by "class". The cascade inheritance model seems to be somewhat broken - any styling associated with an "id" takes precedence over anything else. So if you define an "id" style in an external CSS file it will override any inline styles that should take precedence - you normally wouldn't want to do that anyway but I was trying to work around the previous height bug.

Internet Explorer 8; It a stinky pile of old shit - just marginally less stinky and less shit than previous versions.

72. northern monkey
    Happy

@fink

oh my god, I think I've just done some damage to my sides!!

I can't imagine the microsoft bods could write that without tongue firmly planted in cheek either!

73. A B 3
    Gates Halo

Don't knock Oztralia Bub

Here's a quickie on Australia:

* The ACT is full of pollies and public servants.

* The harbour bridge (in Sydney NSW) is one of the worlds widest bridges.

* Melbourne has trams.

* Tasmania is bloody cold.

Home to worlds most deadly snake:

Eastern Taipan (snake): Can kill you in 30 milliseconds. Will bite you 9 to 20 times. Mostly in the balls.

74. andy gibson

Firefox should turn this around

This would be a great way for Firefox et al to show people that vulnerabilities will exist in IE8 that can be exploited if a site can be written in this way!

75. WhatWasThat?
    Boffin

UA Point of order

I notice that the app name is "Microsoft Internet Explorer", but wasn't IE8 renamed to "Windows Internet Explorer"?

Unfortunately, I am at work and mandated to use IE8 already, so I cannot test this. Anyone?

76. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's happening to The Register?

"Microsoft isn't just bribing people to use its search engine. It's bribing people to ditch Firefox for Windows Explorer."

You mean Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer - the desktop file browser and manager.

I'm not being a pedantic nerd or moaning specifically about this one mistake, but I really am surprised that someone on a website like this has made that kind of 'housewife' mistake. I've noticed a lot of this sort of thing on The Register lately. There were three Opera articles in a row where different writers clearly didn't know what they were writing about, and the same things have been happening in other articles about everything from hardware to software to business.

And with a growing trend to just rehash press releases, the Reg 's IT reportage is slowly turning into that of the BBC or ZDnet, complete with perfectly acceptable comments sometimes failing to show up. Has something changed at the top or has there been some kind of recent exodus/walkout?

77. Eduard Coli
    Linux

We should help them to help themselves

I think the best thing to do would be to use our Windows botnets to at least find the page M$ is proffering and post it for all in good land down under to see, possible if they load a small app of ours.

78. Martin Smith 2

First Clue

"3000 Upside Down" = WWW

79. Meaty

If IE8 is the only browser that works with the webpage..

Then they aren't following standards. AGAIN.

80. JP Strauss

I think I found the $10000!!!!

I visited this one site and it said I was the 100 000 000th user and that I have won $10000!

81. Defiant
    Thumb Up

Good

Great news, Firefox have been dirty so why shouldn't Microsoft play them at their own game

82. Stephen Bungay
    Jobs Horns

So EMbrace Extend Extinguish lives on...

It occurs to me that M$ is embracing it's old ways, extending the functionality of it's browser in an attempt to extinguish the competition. As the saying goes... a leopard can not change it's spots.

Rule #1: Don't deal with Microsoft

Rule #2: See Rule #1

83. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

If you're the first Microsoft whore

Rest assured you won't be the last......

84. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

You have won!

Send me your bank details and we'll transfer the money directly from my our dead uncle's second cousin's dictatorship slush fund....

oh bother, I messed it up again, didn't I?

Twitter, AUD, IE8 - I'm not sure which is the worst!

85. mike 92
    Linux

First Spoof?

http://www.tengrandisburiedthere.com/

Zoom in and enjoy

86. Dave 129

Had fun with that yesterday

The Australian site was working, then not, then going to a 'live' search result, then working. Then only working in IE8, then working again in Opera and FF. The other site (wintengrand.com or whatever) never worked yesterday (yesterday being Thursday 18th June) for me.

Of course it's all largely redundant as you can just set Firefox's UA to the exact same thing as IE8s, so unless the target site has the thing hidden in some custom (probably unsigned) Active-X control, there's no way to stop a Firefox user. And yes because I was bored enough I really did grab UA Switcher and copy and paste the UA from IE8 into it *cough* Worked fine too.

87. marschw

Apparently it works on lynx

So, uh, I guess text-mode browsers work too: http://marcusschwartz.com/ausie8.png

88. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I note that ...

I note that the BBC didn't cover this story at all. Normally their "tech" (really loose quotes) department are always brimming over the top every time there's some Microsoft news.

Perhaps it's all part of their unbiased approach.

89. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Am I doing something wrong?

Don't know, shows up fine in F10 w/FF 3.0.11

90. cordwainer 1
    Gates Horns

Would this contest even be allowed in the US?

It's my understanding that under US law, no purchase can be required in order for someone to enter any contest or sweepstakes. The Terms and Conditions for this contest make no mention of a similar restriction.

So here in the US, one could fairly easily argue the contest should be declared invalid: not everyone uses Windows, and owners of other OS's might possibly need to expend a some amount of money to obtain or access a Windows machine.

Frankly, my guess is that's WHY the contest is based in Australia. Of course, everything M$ does makes me suspicious they're trying to do an end run around something. >:->

91. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please don't use UA switcher...

$AU 10,000 isn't really a lot of money. About £3500 or so.

Your chances of getting that cash are pretty slim.

All in all, you stand a very small chance of coming out of this ahead.

But by feigning using IE8, you're handing MS a major publicity coup - "Look at the Beeeelions of IE8 users on the web. They're everywhere".

This is a *very* cheap way for MS to inflate their browser statistice. And we should not help them to do that.

92. Dr. E. Amweaver
    Thumb Down

In a word...

...IETab?

Red rag to both proper developers and haX0rs everywhere, not to mention anyone who wants to do a fake "you've just won... now give us your bank details so we can pay you" to fool any bogan who runs across it.

Also, @ AB3, I think the pTerry take on Australia is appropriate. The invaluable part-work "Dangerous Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibians, Birds, Fish, Jellyfish, Insects, Spiders, Crustaceans, Grasses, Trees, Mosses and Lichens of Terror Incognita" extends at least into "Volume 29c Part Three", while a list of the harmless ones contains only "Some of the sheep."

93. Andrew Punch
    Stop

Let me know...

when there is beer involved.

-An Australian

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like