back to article Note to employers: Better sex = happier workers

A Swedish researcher has found that a healthy sex life leads to happier, less stressed workers - thereby suggesting that employers might consider providing workplace "comfort rooms" where hard-pressed lackeys can get their ends away in the company's best interests. Actually, that's not true. What psychology doctoral student …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 years!!!

Happy homelife makes for happy worklife.... and it took 5 years to figure this out.

As studies in the ridiculously obvious, previously investigated and ultimately worthless (as it's not going to change anything) .. this FIVE YEAR study is really something.

I may ask my boss if that simple, obvious task that is on my to do list could be delivered in 5 years... i think i can guess the response.

Who pays these people and why? Silly vegatable.

2. Piers
    Happy

probed 900 male and female participants

you. are. bad.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

therefore...

from this research, is they've found a group of Swedish women in need of a good shag in the interests of workplace productivity and economic recovery. Now Gothenburg isn't that far away...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Translation

>fulfilling domestic relationship equates to less stress at work - for women at least.

=> Woman are happier when men do more of the housework.

This is hardly surprising, also previous studies have shown that in such a relationship men get more nookie however I can't remember if it was at home or away.

5. Charles Ralli
    Thumb Up

Cruelty

"I'll have to pass on the three-headed Göteborg gerbil story"

And in this case, its to the rest of your readership.

6. Bucky
    Stop

Cop out

'Andersson also found that "men were often more interested in the frequency of sex than women, who were more inclined to value the quality of sexual relations", as The Local puts it.'

That's such a cop out.

I've watched sitcom after sitcom, and if there's one thing I've learned about heterosexual relationships, it's that women simply don't like sex.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Umm

As you say, it's very much from the department of the bleeding obvious.

I've had supporting evidence for years - I used to work at a place where the sexual shenanigans made it into the national press (I couldn't possibly mention the company at all, but their main products are not purple sofas, rabbits or The Sun).

The bosses "clamped down" to prevent this sort of thing.

Result - the employee morale went into the toilets (instead of the pairs of employees)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cause and effect

OK so they found a correlation, but how can they tell if rumpy-pumpy causes workplace happiness, or if people who are happy at work go home in a better mood and shag more?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

They have got this the wrong way around

I should sue my wife's employer for sleep deprivation.

10. Pete Silver badge

which is the horse?

and which is the cart?

All this study "proves" is that there exists a correlation. It doesn't have the ability to say which situation is the cause and which is the effect. You could equally interpret it as saying that a less stressed work environment leads to a better (or more frequent, as that's what blokes seem to want) sex life.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

I'll be very disappointed...

...if we don't get the Göteborg gerbil story, complete with Playmobil reenactment.

12. Greg

Geez Lester!

This sentence hurt my head...

"Andersson failed, however, to provide a correlation between stress and average but frequent sex for males, or ground-shaking sex for women, but only every six years."

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, but judging by Lester's extra punchy zeroneology effort ("commentards") and the above sentence, I'd wager he was drinking when he wrote the article. And why not? Write on, Lester.

-G

13. JC

They needed to study this?

Doing things that make us happy, makes us happy? Who would've thunk it?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Opportunities arising

Sticking with your first paragraph ... I guess it's something you might outsource rather than deal with all the issues arising. Time to invest in brothels?

Mine's the one with the Seamstresses Guild logo.

15. Scu
    IT Angle

at least a link...

to the gerbil story? In English, por favor?

16. James O'Brien
    Thumb Up

Nice one for Friday Lester

Now to see if I can convince my boss to let me hire a PA to shag

17. James Woods

women = evil

I've worked a good portion of my earlier years with women in various capacities and they definitely represent their personal lifes in the workplace alot more then men do. Girls get nuts when they aren't getting it because they lose the upper-hand in the relationship. If the guy they're with is getting it somewhere else or not at all well I hope she's the breadwinner of the the two.

I think what these types of studies might leave out is alot about the people they are profiling. To have sex, and a good sex life you would need to be somewhat of a decent person and well yeah a little attractive and somewhat civilized to be around.

Silly Sweden.

18. David Wilkinson

correlation or causality.

I have a lot of female friends who report dramatically decreased bedroom activity when their boyfriends/husbands are having a rough time a work.

It could also be that the same relationship skills to be productive at work, also carry over to your personal life.

19. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Afternoon delight = Zero productivity

If on the rare occasions I have managed to have a little afternoon delight, that was me done for the rest of the day, zonked out never went back to the office after lunch just lots of zzzzzz (Remember to Post anonymously) (Remember to Post anonymously) (Remember to Post anonymously) (Remember to Post anonymously)

20. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

When I was a lad...

...nipping out for a bit of "how's your father" with a lass from work at lunchtime was called a grubscrew.

Gorrit.Bye.

21. Marvin the Martian
    Stop

"Bleeding obvious" etc etc

As for those remarking it's all obvious: it is not. On the contrary, other research has shown that unhappy workers are productive workers --- as long as the unhappiness is caused at home.

So as an employer, better hope your workers have crappy sex lives.

22. John D Salt

Here come the Sex Police

In my experience, an alarming number of managers rely on stress as an instrument of control over their minions.

If over the next few months I see a management initiative that looks like the Sex Police, I shall blame you.

All the best,

John.

23. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Down

In other news

Pope catholic.

Forrest full of bear droppings.

Fulfilling relationship has overall relaxing effect.

What's the news?

Now that 3-headed-muta-rodent story, that would have been something. Please don't tease us with something like that and then fail to even provide a link.

ANYONE GOT A LINK TO THE RODENT THING?!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I'm not so sure......

.....this is one of those stories where I need to prove what the paparazzi are telling me. Where do I sign up so that I can test out this theory? However please be warned, it may take me a while to figure out whether there's any truth in the story being reported.

Maybe Paris could help.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Re: which is the horse?

I'm not sure which are worse, the comments complaining about the survey results being obvious or the comments which point out the obvious. I suppose that in many ways they are the same thing.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

No comments from Ms. Bee??

That's a shame, perhaps she's too stressed out at work...

And as for the rest of you - a Friday story linking shagging and stress at work (IT angle isn't even an issue) with only 25 comments and only 1 PH icon? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Lester, kudos for the scoop.

27. N
    Paris Hilton

More research needed!

Where do I sign?

Paris, because shes a happy lass

28. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Lack of comments and PHs

AC wrote: "And as for the rest of you - a Friday story linking shagging and stress at work (IT angle isn't even an issue) with only 25 comments and only 1 PH icon? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Maybe we're all too stressed and off dealing with work or maybe we're all off screwing each other... didn't think of that, did ya?

Paris, just because

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like