back to article Egyptian cuts off todger to spite his face dad

An Egyptian man whose family refused him permission to marry below his station decided the best way to lodge a protest was to chop off his own penis, AP reports. The unnamed 25-year-old hails from a "prominent" family in the southern Egyptian province of Qena - described as "one of Egypt's poorest and most conservative areas …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

is it just me...

...or has there been a surge in todger-related news recently? is it the weather? or something in the water.

Apart from the todger, the other thing now missing is an IT angle.

2. Richard Cartledge
    Heart

Tallywhacker

Mohabbat mohabbat mohabbat!

3. Sooty

i think

i'd have considered something less drastic first, like eloping. However i'm sure his living the rest of his live without a penis, will really teach is family a lesson...when they stop laughing.

4. Mat

What a

Cock!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I expect I won't be the first but ...

I suggest he attaches said todger to his forehead ...

dickhead!

6. Luis Ogando
    Joke

Maybe....

...he was in de-Nile!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

7. Kevin Perry

Not so "prominent" now

Well, he's not!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Smart...

Son: You won't let me pork my intended, so I have removed my pecker.

Dad: Oh, ok, since you feel so strongly, go on then, you can have her.

Duh!

Paris because she'd find a way to re-attach it

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

technology news ?

did he use some new type of blade to cut it off or did he browse google while doing it?

If not then how is this on the register (although it is funny)

10. Lionel Baden

why not just bugger off overseas

if he's from a influential family grab what you can and bugger off and do what you like !!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

eeeewwwww

I'd heard of "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face" but this takes teh bisquit.

Don't cut your knob off to spite your father that tries to enforce strict social etiquette on your marrage intentions.

Sage advice...sadly too late for the potential grandchildren of said father.

12. Big Al
    Alert

Ouch!

So he saw the choice as losing by marrying below status, or losing status below?

13. Karim Bourouba

Makes no sense....

What a nob.

14. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

yeah yeah

Bet you lot wouldn't cut off your ponytail for love of a woman.

15. Seán

Obey

It's a major problem for Islam which holds it back like most of the East, this "respect" for elders. I respect my old man because he respects me and allows me to make my own decisions. I'd also chop his lad off before I'd chop off my own, and I'd like to thank pops for that.

16. Richard

Yup

That is most certainly a decision he will come to regret.

17. Brian Mankin

Actually, they could have re-attached it ...

But they realised that it would be better for the species if they didn't. This fellow should get a special mention when the Darwin's come around again.

18. Anonymous John

@ is it just me...

No. It isn't even Friday either.

19. Paul Murphy

Shock - Ms Bee in animal cruelty charge!

>Bet you lot wouldn't cut off your ponytail for love of a woman.

I think encouraging people to mutilate a pony in the name of love is just plain WRONG.

Back to the story though .. what was he hoping to achieve? I'm sure the love of his life is really pleased that her beau is now no longer ... err long and able to perform his duties so to speak.

Unless marrying a looney is seen as a good idea of course, it seems that people can have some strange ideas at times.

ttfn

20. Foxhill

mmm long lashes

Some of them camels are sexy though..

21. TEQ

@Sarah

Some years back I cut off my dreads for a woman, and not too long ago my mohawk went the same way for similar reasons. It wasn't gone for long though. :)

22. /etc
    Thumb Down

Well out of it

@Lionel Baden

"if he's from a influential family grab what you can and bugger off and do what you like !!!"

Because he doesn't want to give up his comfortable lifestyle and lacks the guts?

Better to mutilate yourself in a fit of pique in his mind. But surely that's abnormal psychology even in a thoroughly abnormal society. To my way of thinking, the young woman's well out of it, if he's that crazy.

He'll have been taught that women are inferior to men; it's also been drummed into his mind that this woman is "socially inferior" too. He's infatuated now - which may be partly the charm of the forbidden - once that wears off what might he have done to her if she crossed him?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@Sarah Bee

No, I chapped my hair for charity cos my gran died of cancer

24. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

IT angle?

Obviously, there IS no IT angle, as there is nothing to FORM an angle anymore.

25. Roger Jenkins

@Richard

'That is most certainly a decision he will come to regret.'

Should be, 'that is most certainly a decision he'll regret to come'.

26. Rob
    Heart

@Sarah

50/50, partly cut it off for my new girlfriend at the time (now my wife and soon to be mum of our first child) and partly because I was sick of waking up choking on my own hair.

(and maybe a smidge of my sub-conscious thinking I should grow a little, that thought probably didn't last long though).

27. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

This guy...

...knows what it's all about... Emotional and physical torment. All the standard things that a woman brings to the party.

Mind you, this guys makes old Vince' Van Gogh loping his ear off look pretty weak!

28. Eddy Ito
    Coat

Where to begin?

Steak and eggs. The chicken was involved but the cow was committed.

"Where's the beef?"

IT angle, perhaps his girl "worked it" online as a computer whacker.

But did he "drop the ball?"

There, there, I'm going, no need to shove.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Foxhill

"I'd walk a mile for a Camel... but I'd prefer a woman."

30. Chrome

@Sarah

To continue with the hair-cutting thread I cut my waist-length hair of 16 years for the British Heart Foundation

31. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@IT angle?

This article is currently one of the most read and most commented suggesting that the IT angle is not necessarily the first concern of a large number of El Reg's readership today.

If the lack of IT angles is causing you a problem, perhaps you should protest in some way ...

32. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

I wonder if he understands the consequences...

If a strict (presumably) muslim upbringing is anything like a strict catholic upbringing, it is possible he wasn't fully aware of the uses for a todger.

33. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

@ Sarah Bee

Of course I'd cut off my ponytail - if I had one.

After all, beneath every pony's tail is an asshole.

Moderatrix - how's the hair growing ??

34. Andus McCoatover
    Thumb Up

@Chrome

<<To continue with the hair-cutting thread I cut my waist-length hair of 16 years for the British Heart Foundation>>

To do that stunt, you must've been utterly waisted. ;-) </groan)

RESPECT, Sir! (I assume?). Nice one.*

-Andus

* Actually, when I lived in Tampere, (Finland), I ran a wager for charity (of the pub's choice) that I would stand at a bus stop holding a vacuum cleaner, and with the hose stuck down the front of my trousers, asking the locals "Which is the fastest bus to the hospital?"

Did OK.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you're really looking for an IT angle

you may wish to note that there are indeed websites that will give you detailed instructions on how to remove various parts of your anatomy in a safe, hygienic fashion. And no, I'm not going to tell you where they are.

36. LaeMi Qian

Keep in mind...

...that the cultural background is one of Martyrdom for one's beliefs (not just Islam, all the Abrahamic offshoots tend this way). This week's NewScientist has an article about how people who make a genuine sacrifice make a lasting impression on their culture. He may have cut off his own options, but he will likely make a difference for others.

Besides, if they can regularly do it to girls, (it IS the same organ, just a different developmental path) why not boys as well!

37. dave hands
    Happy

if I can't have a woman..

to castrate me in marriage...

38. Player_16
    Unhappy

@ Sarah

At least the pony (or rat) tail can grow back.

One MAJOR problem he will face: he will always find women howt and attractive 'cause he's got balls!

39. Ken Hagan Gold badge

@Sooty

"However i'm sure his living the rest of his live without a penis, will really teach is family a lesson...when they stop laughing."

What makes you think the rest of his family will *ever* stop laughing?

40. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@Sarah

If I did, I am fairly sure my girlfriend would leave me...

41. Henry

Pehaps

marrying Lorena Bobbit would put him in the same social station?

42. Bucky
    Paris Hilton

Drama Queen

Just goes to show that being a drama queen transcends culture (and gender).

43. skeptical i

He'd better be a cunning linguist after a stunt like that ...

... assuming the lass will still have him (in the biblical or any other sense).

44. Mike

Re: yeah yeah

>Bet you lot wouldn't cut off your ponytail for love of a woman.

Hmm.... better not be to specific or it will be moderated out, but lets just say she asked me to shave, I did, it is still so very itchy growing back and now I have a rash.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Pulling?

How the hell do you exaplain that on your wedding night?

Imagine the scene... after running away to be married in another country... two lovers finally united...

*ZIP*

"What the?!?!?"

"Ah... I was hoping that you were not going to notice darling.."

Paris... because she obvisoulsy check the tackle before pulling...

46. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ Rob

"and partly because I was sick of waking up choking on my own hair."

You were wearing it the wrong way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like