back to article VeriChip shaves 3mm off human RFID chips

Luddites still objecting to having an 11mm chip implanted in an arm will no doubt be relieved to hear that VeriChip has developed an even-smaller implantable RFID tag, measuring a diminutive 8mm by 1mm. Not that this new chip is designed for tagging people as such. It's been developed for use with "vascular access catheters" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now...

Mr. "I want to RFID tag everyone" Please rearrange these words into a well know phrase or saying

DIE

OFF

FUCK

AND

2. Richard Thomas
    Alert

"No doubt allaying users' fears at a stroke"

Stroke being the operative word if one of these gets into the bloodstream...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Waqui Jacqui

Is already putting the on her expenses.....

60million @£ lots = Kerchiiing.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Most important.

When's Captain Cyborg getting upgraded? Inquiring minds want to know. Surely nobody'll take him seriously if he doesn't have the latest and greatest version.........oh, wait.......

5. Sillyfellow
    Pirate

all very well but...

how much charge can they deliver when the remote tazer functionality is used?

would be much more useful to our oppressors.. um.. i mean.. leaders. with leccy, drugs and/or other 'person control' payload, on top of the usual tracking and recording capabilities..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Let's combine a few things..

Given the recent apparent desire for ID scans at London fetish clubs (earlier El Reg story), it would maybe an idea not to SHRINK those chips. I can see the dodgy ads already - "gain immediate entry with this remotely readable plug (in)".

In my opinion, that's more or less where they can stick the very idea of implantable ID chips anyway, printed on thick cardboard with jagged edges. It's getting ridiculous, next thing you know China town has to add them to any rice dish. You'd only find out when your London Underground Oyster card refuses to work because the reader picks up all the other RFIDs..

Yup, the flasher mac, please..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Seriously?

Cataloging your population shows a distinct lack of understanding of a Government's obligations to run the country, (and not control it's population) Even the Nazis' understood that principle (hence the number of nazi propaganda marches to win people over)

Together with the Police deciding their own policy on how to interpret law, draconian legislation to micro manage the populace of this country, covert surveillance, logging of email and telephone calls, will lead to the downfall of the current Governmental system.

Cold war eastern europe had the stazi, we're going the same way.

Does anyone know the analogy of the Frogs in boiling water?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Anonymous Coward 12:25

Seconded.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh dear

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea to be implanted with an RFID chip so they can be scanned and identified like a dog needs a good hard slap in the face.

10. Andy
    Black Helicopters

@Sillyfellow

And in other news - "Gov 'smart meter' plans: Sky box in charge of your house"

Wonder if it includes an RFID scanner on it....?

11. Seán

Great

No more getting the wrong meds and fucking dying what a really good idea above and beyond simpleminded politics.

12. Christoph
    Pirate

@ Sillyfellow

There's nowhere near enough room for any of that in the chip. It was all they could to to fit in the dose of Botulinum toxin and the delivery trigger.

13. Philip Kroker
    Dead Vulture

I got four words for ya...

OVER

MY

DEAD

BODY!

14. Mark
    Thumb Up

@ Seán

"No more getting the wrong meds and fucking dying". Yep, I hate it when that happens to me.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Humm

Lets see here Mr. Silverman was it? Yes very good. I have a letter here from 99.999999999999% of the population. RE: You're notion of implanting RFID chips in everyone to "tag" them. No, no, no, no, fuck no, no, no, hell no, no, no, over my dead and rotting corpse, no, no, no. Oh did we mention NO! Oh we did, just checking. In other words take your idea about tagging people roll it up real tight, shove it up your ass and set fire to it. kthnxbai.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Futurama moment

Resist the permanent career implant chip: You have the right to choose your own dead end job.

Secure Employee Rights & Freedoms

17. Tom

I wonder if anyone makes

a device that responds like an RFID tag but with random data each time it's pinged. Correct checksum and such but random data (or it might be fun to collect a list of tags from odd items you would not see walking around most days... ). If they are mining passers by for data, give them some fools gold.

18. Sillyfellow

@ mark

LOL. now i gotta clean the spit off my keyboard. thanks for the wholesome laugh that provoked. :?)

brilliant!

19. John Smith Gold badge
    Happy

@Sean

Provided of course the doc who prescribed your meds understands your language well enough to proscribe properly. And has not been awake for 4 days.

While we're at it you'd also better make sure the nurse can read his notes and not shove 10x the dosage he asked for into you. Those pesky decimal points can be a real killer. And then they might have the idea that you (or your loved one) is somehow surplus to requirements and decide to knock on Heaven's door for your behalf.

But yes other than these little annoyances I quite agree with you.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Easier

Just tatoo our Personal Identification Number on the arm and Bob's our big brother.

Not bloody likely I'll ever consent to anything like this...

21. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Knowing which patient you've got on the table could be handy

Also possibly useful for proving care - healthcare worker carries reader, reader can show doctor was with (or at least near) patient at X o'clock - or not, in accusations of substandard care. Though an RFID tag in the wrist-band would be as good for that.

22. John Smith Gold badge
    Thumb Up

@Dr Patrick J R Harkin

"Knowing which patient you've got on the table could be handy"

Don't all hospitals put a wrist band of some kind on their in-patients? It's not impossible to get off but it does take some effort.

"Also possibly useful for proving care - healthcare worker carries reader, reader can show doctor was with (or at least near) patient at X o'clock - or not, in accusations of substandard care. Though an RFID tag in the wrist-band would be as good for that."

Now this I like.

Especially if the reader (it could be as small as a pen torch) had a thumbprint reader in the end to match doctor to patient. Best of all would be *if* it cannot be tampered with, and maintains a chain of evidence. Something tells me that hospital managers in the British NHS might be a bit resistant to a device that can prove a junior doctor has been up for 80 hours when he made a faulty diagnosis.

I wonder if they're overtime rate is still less than their normal time rate (and does *any* other professional group operate that system)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like