back to article SCO threatened with Chapter 7 destruction

SCO Group's long-standing legal battles over its claimed Unix copyrights may finally end with US bankruptcy court forcing a Chapter 7 cyanide capsule down the company's throat. On Tuesday, the trustee appointed by the federal bankruptcy court in Delaware asked for permission to dissolve the ailing shell-of-a-software-company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Jesus!

Are those bastards STILL around? Hopefully, not for much longer...

2. Nordrick Framelhammer
    Linux

Finally an end to this silly and sorry saga?

Does this mean and end to this whole silly and sorry saga?

SCO are a laughing stock in the industry and have been pretty much since they switched from writing UNIX applications to waving their tiny todgers around like demented kids in the hope that it would frighten people into capitulating to their ridiculous licensing scam.

3. raving angry loony

penultimate step

Yay! Now I can only hope they lift the corporate veil and go after the assets of the executives who deliberately and maliciously drove the company into the ground to the detriment of the shareholders, all to do the bidding of a 3rd party.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Go SCO Go

Deserved to go.

5. Antony King
    Happy

Ha ha ha

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Oh that's the best thing I've read all year.

6. Matthew Barker
    Alien

Perhaps there's hope yet...

Maybe the remaining execs can escape in their trusty Moller SkyCar.

7. ChrisInBelgium
    Happy

Music

Is that a fat lady I can hear singing in the background??

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Evil backup plan?

"We plan to oppose the motion and present our own suggested course of action to the court."

Later today, SCO spokesghouls will announce the company's intentions to sue all manufacturers, vendors and consumers of SCOnes, as they are obviously and perniciously using copyrighted SCO code in their products without a licence. Expect Sun's canteen in Sanata Clara to be the first to fold and fork out for a licence whilst the rest of the World points and laughs.

9. Dazed and Confused

Lets just hope some troll

Doesn't buy the assets and decide to carry on this stupid saga.

10. Psymon
    Linux

Does anyone else

feel like bursting into song?

Ding, dong the witch is dead!

Which old witch?

The wicked witch...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's hope

the Lawyers are not seens as creditors and are owed millions....and don't see a penny

12. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Heh

Poor SCO. At some point I may consider, thinking about, maybe, possibly, giving a second thought to perhaps, potentially, almost shedding something resembling a tear for SCO and it's execs.

Ok so the truth is I wont even come close to doing that, but hey at least it sounded good for a fraction of a second.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank god for that

now maybe we can get back to doing software and making the world a better place

14. Pirate Dave Silver badge

To SCO...

I fart in your general direction...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Okay.. trial run successfully completed

Now for the real thing. Taking Microsoft down. <insert favourite Tux saying here>.

16. Gerhard Mack
    Stop

Major mistake in the article

"SCO" != "The SCO Group".

SCO bought enough rights to conduct their business but were then bought by Caldera followed by Caldera renaming itself as "The SCO Group". The people suing are not the same people who negotiated the sale with Novell.

I know it's confusing but that distinction is extremely important.

17. Chris C

And so it goes

"...and the company used this claim to force Sun Microsystems and Microsoft into licensing agreements."

I'm sorry, but what? They weren't FORCED into anything. Microsoft and Sun gave their money willingly, not out of fear or licensing issues, but as a back-channel way to fund the anti-Linux campaign (don't forget Sun was still trying to get people to go with Solaris, not OpenSolaris, at that time).

Regardless, this day was easy to foresee. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. Does SCO even have any assetts left? Last I heard, quite a while ago, they had sold the UNIX business and the mobile business, leaving them with zero business except the lawsuits.

If anything, the SCO saga should make one thing very clear to all companies (and individuals, really) -- when you're signing a contract, and especially when you're purchasing assets, make sure everything is spelled out. SCO had the signed contract, so they clearly knew that they did not hold the copyrights to the UNIX code, but they hoped they could bluff people with fear and intimidation. As one would expect, it did work against some companies, but not many. I suspect they were secretly hoping to get bought by IBM, or that IBM would settle since a settlement would likely cost much less than IBM's legal fees. SCO massively underestimated IBM's dedication to Linux and their resentment towards extortion.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bye Bye SCO

Now the execs need to be asset stripped as well.

19. John Smith Gold badge
    Thumb Down

They have had 2 years already?

"We are reviewing the motion with counsel and will have a detailed response for the court in due course,"

My doesn't time fly when your looking for finance.

It does look like only they are less a shell company and more a shill company for some one.

Can I presume that anyone with enough cash to buy this rump (because that is what is left of them) at the price *they* think they are worth has done enough due diligence not to?

Who'd have thought it. Sometime the money men do the right thing.

This is not the time for mercy.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Article glosses over the actual timeline

The Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) acquired the UNIX assets from Novell in 1995. The major interest was the Unixware/SVR4 code base though the deal also came with some royalty rights which were split with Novell. I'm not sure 'real' SCO ever haranged other businesses for cash over the IP acquired in this transaction.

It was only when SCO was taken over by Caldera (2000) and subsequently changed its name to the 'SCO Group' (2002) that it stopped being a company and became an IP pest.

The 'licensing' that most people talk about done by Sun and Microsoft happened around 2003.

It's a sad end for a small OS vendor who didn't make the transition from small business file & print networks to the web1.0. It wasn't alone.

SCO died in 2000. Its sad that a bunch of Utah Pirates dressed themselves in a better companies colors but I guess they had to it to dress themselves in a veil of respectability that they soon lost.

21. Disco-Legend-Zeke
    Paris Hilton

Remember that BSD is fully licensed UNIX

and what ever happened to POSIX, the federal standard for *NIX operating systems?

Paris cause i still....

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Going for song

Maybe Novel or IBM could buy the remnants - nice irony.

23. Fred
    Pirate

Kill it already !

Burn the witch ! Scatter the ashes, mix them with salt !

24. John Smith Gold badge
    Flame

@Roger de Laborde

"Damn, SCO is harder to kill than Rasputin"

But somewhat like Phorm. Still Nebuad are dead and buried. These guys are like those super weeds you hear about. The kind only the sort of weed killer that professional gardeners can buy can kill.

But there are plenty of professional gardeners and there is no shortage of weed killer.

Of course there's always fire.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Kamikazi Kompany

Eh, wasn't SCO Micro$oft's open source Linux project

Also see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/07/microsoft_search_built_on_open_source

26. Herby

Chapter 7 ans lawyers...

Ah, lawyers. The sad part is that the eating order in Chapter 7 (been there...) is the trustee gets first lickings. Then come the trustee's lawyers, then the people employed (are there any?) up to about $2k. Then it goes downhill from there. Hopefully the lawyers who are filing the lawsuit(s) against us honest (Linux/Unix) people are a bit further back in the cafeteria line. The food is running out fast, and "secured creditors" should be higher up in line than the sharks.

My take: A fitting end. Now lets get on with killing software patents.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good Riddance.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Stu & @Herby

Lawyers get the dough first, whatever happens, they will be paid first.

The trustee is most likely a lawyer himself!

Lawyers? The lowest form of life on planet earth!

29. Geoff Mackenzie

That was just a test run

Now for MS. :-)

30. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

HA HA HA!

HA HA HA, Die already! Go on!

(Paris, because she'll do tits-up, unlike SCO)

31. Christoph

Ending as a Caldera

Though they started as Caldera selling Linux long ago

Soon a huge volcanic crater will be all that's left of SCO

http://steve.savitzky.net/Songs/barratry/

32. Craig
    Thumb Down

The Santa Cruz Operation was NOT taken over by Caldera

Old SCO sold their trademark, and the OpenServer & UnixWare IP to Caldera. Caldera some time later changed their name to "SCO Group" which they could do as they then owned the trademark. The original SCO company changed their name to "Tarantella", and then years later was taken over by Sun (and we know what's happened to them!)

And good bloody riddance to SCaldera, in my opinion. Old SCO was a good company, and all SCaldera ever did was drag their good name through the mud.

33. Edward Miles
    Go

Hmm... but are they really dead?

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

34. Paul

why BK?

Never forget SCOX entered BK protection without being bankrupt. In fact, after many years loudly proclaiming how eager they were to reach trial they filed for BK the day before reaching court, with the deliberate and only intent of provoking an automatic stay on all the lawsuits.

Like everything else in the whole sorry fiaSCO the BK was a lie, just a way to stave off retribution for 18months. The hammer is now falling and the very act of misusing BK this way likely to bring personal liability to Darl McBride and Ralph Yarro.

35. Fatman
    Flame

Kill that Fscking Vampire!!!

Its about time!!!

Put a merciful end to SCO; drive a goddamn silver stake right through its corporate heart.

Then take its worthless 'body' and let it burn in hell.

Then go after its execs.

This charade needs to be over!

Flames - because that is how SCO went down.

36. Joe User

When karma comes 'round to bite you in the arse

It couldn't happen to a nicer company.

37. Gordon Crawford
    Happy

needed

Needed , a smart Judge , who will Give any and all software over to the public domain

sell the assets and give the preceeds to itself to pay for the gov s expenses.....

1. this gives all companies affected by the illegal behavior of the SCO company a chance to move on with out going through this again with another troll

2. all users , the above plus , no worries , and a future

3. the lawyers , the chance to get better software in the future , with out undue pricing or lawsuits over use of their software . [like they just tried to do]

4.all of us , the smug satisfaction that the lawyers got no money , the legal system works [on occasion], software troll can not only lose ,but end up giving it all the way [ losing it all ] and a warning to all companies about lawsuits..and greed..

5. stock holders , a warning to stop exec greed [YOU OWN THE COMPANY NOT THE EXECS.}

6 . me , not get angry over this stupid crap..............

38. John Smith Gold badge
    Flame

Burn baby burn

That is all.

This topic is closed for new posts.