back to article NetBSD, Mandriva get shiny new releases

The NetBSD Project has released NetBSD 5.0 into the wild today, marking the operating system's first major release since 2007. Among 5.0's features is a rewritten threading subsystem optimized for multi-core and multiprocessor systems. Multi-threaded apps can now efficiently make use of one or more CPU or core, the team said. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Linux double feature

NetBSD is NOT a Linux distro, so how exactly can this be a double feature?

2. Tim99 Silver badge
    Stop

NetBSD and Linux

Tw_t !

Austin, are you looking for a flame war?

NetBSD and Linux as a double feature indeed!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

hey dipshit

NetBSD is not Linux

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: NetBSD

It has to be referred to as Linux because in the press nothing came before Linux but "proprietary Unix".

5. Pierre
    Flame

Flamebait?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you meant by the subheading "Linux double feature", but what I do know for sure is that you'll be flamed. As for me, I'm kinda *NIX agnostic so the mistake only makes me smile, but the *BSD zealots (yes, both of them) will flame you to death.

6. Pierre

PS

Had I read the comments before posting, I would have noticed that the flamewar I (thought I) predicted had actually already begun ;)

7. Pierre
    Coat

Flamewar, ter

OK, so now the question is, will the Frenchmen behind Mandriva raise the white flag and admit that they are no match for the mighty *BSD?

Disclaimer: I'm supposed to be French somehow, so I'm allowed to spout this kind of lame jokes. If y'all anglo-saxons types try and do the same, it will be xenophobia. Booooh!

Mine's the white one with a white flag attached.

8. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Paris Hilton

Be Happy

At least the small things can achieve what the behemoths can't and a minor branch of the free sourcery tree can do what Microsoft has had trouble doing for all its onme potenence.

The thing is does ay of it have mass appeal? Otherwise I am going to stick with my Windows SP 0, ta vm.

I'm going to try them whatever the cost. Will they work on home PCs?

9. lIsRT
    Thumb Down

Title

"Mandriva has launched Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring"

Which seems not to be working...

(offered to upgrade itself last night, errors when I checked this morning, hopefully the second attempt is progressing well right now)

10. Rob Beard
    Linux

I'm probably not the first to say this but...

NetBSD is not a Linux distro, and where you say Mandriva comes in X.Org flavours, um... you'd find that X.org isn't a flavour as GNOME, KDE, XFCE and LXDE are.

Somehow I get the feeling that the article was written by someone who doesn't know much about Linux or *BSD.

Rob

11. Malcolm Herbert
    Pirate

NetBSD: not a Linux variant, and proud of it.

The byline on the article 'NetBSD, Mandriva get shiny new releases' appears to be intended to describe two different releases of Mandriva, however without context it implies that NetBSD is a Linux variant. This is not the case.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

KDE train crash

<from 2009 Spring Tour link>

' ......but some highlights include:

New desktop framework, Plasma, where each desktop entity - icons, folders, applets, the panel, launchers - are a special form of widget called a plasmoid, giving unprecedented flexibility '

NO NO NO NO NO. STOP! I think they meant 'giving unprecedented hassle and confusion'

This sh*t caused me to leave Mandriva for Ubuntu - it's that bad!. Hours spent trying to fix toolbars that are so bleeding edge they have a mind of their own.

Does anyone actually know what a 'plasmoid' is? ('Is that my desktop...erm well no')

I'm sure kde 4.2 is much more stable but as they say once bitten.

KDE4.0 should never have been released, bit like Vista. Such a shame when so many featues like Dolphin are far superior to their gnome counterparts. Ulimately I'm more into computing than desktop masochism (though it's a close call :) )

Wait a sec whilst I get the marshmallows...

13. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Double trouble

Well, you can run Linux binaries *under* NetBSD. Does that kinda count?

14. Codge
    Unhappy

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/ overloaded...

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 247454540

It's all your fault.

15. Chronos
    Joke

Hook, line, sinker...

...rod, reel, fisherman and copy of the sodding Angling Times.

Advice to author: Wait for the next OpenBSD release, announce it in the same vein and watch Theo go ballistic, especially if you refer to the ath(4) driver as a variant of MadWiFi's Ath5K ;o)

16. P. Lee
    Flame

lol - never mind the flame war

Look at the advert at the top of the page to see who's really paying for it! ;)

17. Sitaram Chamarty
    Thumb Up

...and a great release it is too (Mandriva Spring 2009)

downloaded it (Mandriva Spring 2009.1 KDE One CD image) from a French mirror the very day it came out, before it went to torrent and/or the mirrors got hammered :-)

To start with, their hybrid ISO is a stroke of genius -- no messing with unetbootin or liveUSBcreator or things like that; just dd the ISO to a USB stick instead of burning to a CD. Done. It may be reflective of my inadequate imagination/brains, but I had never realised it could be this easy.

Installed it in 5 machines within the next 2 days. Very little fiddling -- especially suspend/resume; works out of the box.

KDE 4.2.2's transparency etc features are much more reliable than in 4.0, and I actually *use* them; it's not just a gimmick. Ever transcribed/summarised someone's overly long document into a quick email for the boss? I only need to sort-of see what I'm typing, so having the ODT show through the very high-transparency email compose is pretty cool :-)

Except for a minor problem with installing from behind a corporate proxy (you have to change the download engine to curl or wget; the default aria2 has some issues) which I duly reported, I haven't come across anything significant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like