back to article Wikipedia's Norwegian press officer cuffed for killing mum

One of the "bureaucrats" who oversaw Norway's incarnation of Wikipedia - and the press officer for Wikimedia Norge, the organization that oversees the Norwegian Wikipedia - has been arrested for killing his mother. Last week, as reported by Dagbladet, one of Norway's largest newspapers, a 36-year-old man phoned the police in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mother only 14 when he was born?

A 36 year old with a 50 year old mother?

It's not out of the question, but a 14 year gap between mother and offspring is certainly unusual enough to raise some doubts about the rest of the story.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Well, ...

...if my face looked like that, I'd probably end up killing somebody too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I could tell...

he's a killer.. He has those wild chest hairs creeping over his neckline.

4. mr.K
    Boffin

Know your Norwegian language

"En 36 år gammel mann ringte selv politiet og opplyste at han hadde tatt livet av sin mor, en kvinne i 50-årene." -Dagbladet

As the Anonymous Coward at the top points out, 50 sounds a bit young. The correct translation would be:

"A 36 year old man called the police and informed them that he had killed his mother, a woman in her fifties."

The article further states that the mother was "pleietrengende" which you don't appear to have a word for in English, you must be a healthy people. My dictionary's feeble attempt is "in need of nursing", something that would have likely been done by her son when the word is applied in this context. I.e. the son was currently taking care of his sick mother. (I know, bad choice of word.)

5. SisterClamp

Sometimes...

...you gotta do what you gotta do.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The sovietpedia

Make one wrong move and instantly get purged from all historical documents and pictures. Stalin was really a very nice guy, you know. He just missed his mother.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

"Sex with Your Parents" - Lou Reed

This isn't to say that all the people who run Wikipedia are hairy men who live with their mothers, and nurse a deep rage against the world. It could be particular to Norway.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Question

Think he can do my mother next?

9. Alan

@ mr.K

Typically you'd describe the son as her carer (in the UK at least) to convey the same sentiment.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Close Wikipedia!

It is associated with a crime, it MUST be bad. Close the Intartubes! Close everything! Juche forever!

11. Ole Juul

re: Know your Norwegian language

In North America, the word "pleietrengende" would be refered to as "in need of home care" or just "in need of care". It could even be translated as "in need of nursing". We typically have nurses or (lower paid) people trained in home care to come to the home of elderly or disabled people. There is a wide range of needs possible outside of hospitalization and there is a whole industry built up around this sort of thing, so of course there is a name for it. It is of course possible that the son did the work, but professional workers would call themselves "home care worker", "home nurse", or "nurse". Yes, you have a feeble dictionary. :)

12. Dave

Truth

Since Wiki insists that the man no longer exists, presumably he cannot possibly be guilty of anything. In which case there is no need to cover up his association with that cult?

13. BioTube
    Boffin

His only mistake

Was forgetting to delete the edit log.

14. Christopher Ahrens

re: Know your Norwegian language

I believe the word you are looking for is invalid.

15. Mithvetr
    Stop

For the life of me...

... I can't work out what the IT angle is here.

If a man entirely unconnected with Wikipedia killed his mother, would the Reg bother to report the story? Assuming the case didn't provide an opportunity to complain about the oppressive bully-boy tactics of the police, I suspect not.

So what, I wonder, is the connection here? Are we trying to imply that Wikipedia - evil sinister conspiracy-o'-doom though it may or may not be - had something to do with the killing? Or is grumpy's 'joke' comment above actually quite close to the mark?

This topic is closed for new posts.