back to article iTuneski boss escapes the gulag

The former owner of buccaneering music download site AllofMP3.com was cleared of copyright violation charges by a court in Moscow yesterday. Denis Kvasov was boss of Media Services, the company behind AllofMP3.com and other Russian music sites, between 2003 and 2005. A guilty verdict could have meant three years jail and €420, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. chuckufarley Silver badge

IMHO

IMHO...

I really like the idea of cheap music that I can download. On the other hand I want to see the people the actually make good music to be paid well for it. On my left arse cheek is where the RIAA can pucker up and kiss. They are not doing enough to hurry up and die.

2. Simon Gadd

Also giving iTunes a run for their money

The iTuneski boys have released the following app.

Works like itunes.

Great search engine

And your balances from the allofmp3.com site are transferred.

http://www.alltunes.com/index.shtml

3. Cameron Colley

Well i never!

Seems there is a country out there where judges like to perform oral sex on the RIAA, who'd have though?

4. Ralph B

GoMusic.ru?

How is it we always hear about the legal struggles of AllOfMP3.com when GoMusic.ru appear to get away with running a near identical service? Do GoMusic.ru have friends higher up in the Kremlin? Or is it just that their profile - and marketshare - is that much lower?

5. Dax Farrer

FFS

Why does the RIAA want to kill the only sensible music distribution channel available. You want to grab them by their coke covered nasal hair and shake some sense into their fat, moribund, sorry arses.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe this is why the music industry doesn't get it...

I just tried allofmp3.com and it was still dead :o(

However I just tried mp3sparks and it's alive and well.

And my mp3.com login works on it

And my allofmp3.com balance is intact in mp3sparks.

When they could have made off with the remaining balances of so many allofmp3 customers and made a mint these guys kept the users' accounts and balances intact and transferred them to the new site. (OK, the new site may well be the old site+db renamed and tweaked but hey, it's the thought that counts).

This is pretty decent behaviour for a bunch of terrorism-funding, artist-starving, world-destroying psychopathic purveyors of stolen goods don't you think?

In fact it represents extremely fair, honest and committed customer service and I think THAT is why the music industry is incapable of 'getting it'.

... posted anonymously for fear of my children being sued by the get-it-nots for not being able to prove they DIDN'T download something

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

*cough* http://www.sentero.net/ *cough* Just like napster, kill off one and 5 more will pop up to replace it!

8. Dave

This is great news

I'm glad that the man who created an OUTSTANDING service was aquitted. MP3Sparks.com is up and running, and should serve as THE model to follow. I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever buy from that iTunes GARBAGE, or any other bullshit RIAA endorsed *GARBAGE* website that thinks that 128bit DRM infected mp3's are worth a dollar each.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great that the Russian courts protect Russian laws

Unfortunately however, being Russia and being that Putin has sided with the US on this one due to his will to enter the WTO you can likely assume that the boss of allofmp3.com will shortly go down with a dose of the old pollonium poisoning.

Sadly, whilst it's the courts that made the decision, it's not the courts that run Russia, it's the FSB/KGB - Putin and co.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In Soviet Russia...

... mp3 listens YOU!!!

Actually Putin has been taking advantage of the Cold War-era disputes to raise popularity, if I were him, I'd stick the middle finger to the USA and give full support to allofmp3. Make the 2nd world war be on the digital front ;)

11. Levente Szileszky

Ummm how about taking some basic history classes?

"Make the 2nd world war be on the digital front ;)"

Second...? Ouch.

Dunno where you're from or have been raised but based on the fact you speak English I think it must be some very rural part of the Western World where a person can live without ever hearing of World War II - because it's already ended, sixty-some (62 in Europe, 61 and 11 months in Asia) years ago.

Some would argue we're in the Third already, some would say that's also ended circa 1990 but one thing is sure, we - thanks God - are way beyond the Second. You might want to take those skipped classes after all... :P

This topic is closed for new posts.