back to article Carry On producer Peter Rogers dead at 95

The man behind the Carry On franchise died yesterday at the age of 95. Peter Rogers was the producer for every one of the 31 movies, which kept Brits in stitches and foreigners baffled from the 50s through to the 70s. Or even the 90s if you include Carry On Columbus. Rogers died after a short illness at his home in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. pctechxp
    IT Angle

Where's the IT angle?

'nuff said.

2. dervheid
    Happy

Ooooh, Matron!

"Peter Rogers Dead at 95"

I don't think you meant it like that, but I think he'd have loved it!!

I grew up watching the movies.

Sad day.

3. Rob
    Unhappy

Love'em or hate them

They are definately historically british. If I bump into one on a sunday afternoon with a hangover it's more than likey going to stay on.

Rest in Peace Peter

4. jon
    Heart

95 is not a bad age :)

Rest in peace all of you who made me laugh as a kid. Good memories.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the success of the carrry on films

Was due to them being before the internet was mainstream, it was pretty much the only way you got to see a pair af baps back then

and for all you young eastenders fans the first pair of breasts that most people my age lusted after belonged to Barbara Winsor!

6. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Where's the IT angle?

It's up your bottom.

7. paul brain
    Dead Vulture

Slapstick Genius

Good Innings, thanks for the movies, rest in peace.

8. lansalot
    Happy

hmmm

@pctechxp and "where's the IT angle": (raspbery-sound) - knickers !

Or as in Carry on Screaming - "frying tonight !!!"

Happy days...

Emily Bung: You haven't taken me out for ages

Det Sgt. Bung: Don't exaggerate, we went out a couple of months ago, had a lovely time.

Emily Bung: You call that lovely, my poor mother's funeral.

Det Sgt. Bung: Well I enjoyed it!

9. Simon B
    Heart

Rest well

Rest peacefully good man, your achievement is unmatched, even star trek only got to 9 or 10!

10. Matt
    Thumb Up

@Sarah, @lansalot

Brilliant responses to pctechxp, very appropriate!

11. NogginTheNog
    Happy

Were there REALLY 31 films?!

Wow, and I thought I knew most of them! Thanks for many a chuckle, Peter! RIP.

Now, sod that Goody woman, howabout a state funeral for this guy??

Icon? HAS to be the smiley face doesn't it!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Wanna bet

"carry on" will be a popular search term in P2P apps and the like (Amazon, YouTube) these next hours and days?

Anonymous - Carry on seeding.

13. DR
    Coat

@where's the IT angle.

Working in IT often feels like being in a Carry On film.

14. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @where's the IT angle.

That's funny, so does working in IT journalism.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Eulogy

If Barbara Windsor needs a double-entendre in her speech at the funeral, I'll give her one.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

...gone the way of...

"...it seems the Carry On Films have finally gone the way of ATV, Music Hall and Eagle Magazine."

I'm pretty sure that Eagle magazine merged with either Buddy or Victor, which then went on to merge with each other under the Victor name. That was all pretty short lived though as the comic industry was dying. Kids in the mid-80s just weren't interested in reading about WWI heros and Japanese soldiers that said only one thing "Aiiiieeeeeeee"

Even Carry On had a broader repetiore of gags and less recyling involved in the plots.

Paris, 'cos she's the nearest we've got to a "smut" icon.

17. Stuart Halliday
    Happy

Let's not mention....

Funny how we love the films but hate the Carry on TV shows.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Gawd ...

... to think I once had all of the Carry On films on VHS - wasn't so much a fan of the really early ones (Carry On Sergeant et.al) but "Carry On Up The Khyber" was a work of absolute genius. Even now, it makes laugh out loud and after seeing it for the first time I never saw Roy Castle in the same light again.

As the man said, it was only one joke but *what* a joke.

Rest in peace, my good man - hopefully we can also lay to rest any thoughts of 're-imagining' the films.

Smiley, because Mr.Rogers brought smiles to the faces of many, myself included.

19. al
    Paris Hilton

Were these films ever used for Sex-ed ?

I heard some talk (as a kid) that some carry-ons were showed in schools as part of the sex-ed curriculum.

It's possible that we were just trying to justify all the sinful pleasure to ourselves.. but then maybe..... Does anyone here know ?

PH, coz she did carry on despite the bad lighting.

20. Nordrick Framelhammer

RIP that man!!!

I remember the Carry On films from my childhood, and still get a good laugh from them now.

I think one of the things that made the movies so memorable is that they had no pretentious or delusions of grandeur.

You will be missed, Peter Rogers. And thankyou.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

What do you think of it so far?

Any series that can come up with the classic line "infamy, infamy, they've all got in in fer me" must have something going for it.

This topic is closed for new posts.