back to article Conficker botnet stirs to distribute update payload

The Conficker superworm is stirring, with the spread of a new variant that spreads across P2P and drops a payload. It is thought to update machines infected by earlier strains of the worm. Conficker-E (the latest variant) offers potential clues on the origins of the worm, because of possible links to other malware. Trend Micro …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Cooke

Disinfect?

Anyone got any stats on how many users have so far bothered to clean up their systems?

2. Mart
    Paris Hilton

maybe, exscuses the ignorance here

but does anyone actually know what this is doing, or going to do??? I see people panicing when they hear the name, and constant posts about it spreading but what does it all mean Basil??

3. Simon
    Black Helicopters

DDOS?

Is Conficker being used right now on a DDOS?

Looky:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

Website is down for the eyetest thingy

4. Efros

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org

Is down, and seems to be the victim of some kind of nefariousness.

Efros

5. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Alert

Don't start!

The Linux/OSX fanboi's don't start OK? The only reason they are not attacked is nothing to do with security, any system is only as strong as the tech-savviness of the user, but more to do with market forces. Malware is a business now, a big business and the piddling numbers of Lnx/OSX machines compared to Windows just makes Windows more profitable. OK?

Thank you for listening.

6. andre
    Black Helicopters

Skynet awakes?

Hmm... perhaps someone is planning to run a massively parallel AI experiment using all those compromised PCs. Could be the start of Skynet...

Someone page Sarah Conner...

7. Apocalypse Later

@Fuzzy Wotnot

No, the dominance of Windows is not "the only reason" that Linux and Mac machines aren't being targeted. Certainly it is more worthwhile to go after Windows, but it is also easier, as there are more exploits available. The OS holes that conficker is using to get into Windows machines just don't exist on Linux and Mac, regardless of how tech-savvy the various users may be.

8. Anonymous Scotsman

@ The Fuzzy Wotnot

I think this is serious enough to warrant tripartisan co-operation and understanding, not least because it's invariably Nix machines of some stripe that aggregate the traffic of infected hosts.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"a new list of high-profile domains to confirm the current date"

Anyone have a copy of that list of domains, so i can run a quick check against my proxy logs?

10. Casper Orillian
    IT Angle

Kill the internet?

Personally i am going to vote for the mother of all DDOS attacks, or an experiment to create an A.I in the same way SETI works

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

@ Don't start

That's right - keep repeating it as often as you can. The more you say it, the more likely you'll convince yourself that it's true.

12. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Re; Skynet awakes?

"Hmm... perhaps someone is planning to run a massively parallel AI experiment using all those compromised PCs. Could be the start of Skynet..." ... By andre Posted Thursday 9th April 2009 18:53 GMT

andre,

You may like to consider ITs XXXXPEditionary Phorm, 4v2.0 InterNetional SISterHood Brothers .... Skynets awake.

Hmm ..... perhaps someone is running a massively parallel AI experiment using all those compromised PCs.

"Kill the internet? ...... Personally i am going to vote for the mother of all DDOS attacks, or an experiment to create an A.I in the same way SETI works" .... By Casper Orillian Posted Thursday 9th April 2009 19:49 GMT.

:-) Casper,

You appear to be having trouble deciding on what may be happening with that very wide ranging, seemingly contradictory extreme phish/each way bet. How about IT is all about Controlling the Internet and Money Supply with MicroSoft Networks for the Earthed Yin Element ....... and a Spooky Snake Oil Skunk Works Special Black Operation for the Cosmic Yang Component`...... for the Quantum Balance in the Virtual Reality Parallels which both Prove and Provide AIRelative Singularity and Pragmatic Granularity HexPlaNation for an Advanced/Artificial/Alien Intelligence Existence, ..... or would you just Prefer not to Really Know and just Continually Speculate thus to Avoid Confrontation and Practical Physical Resolution of a Systemic Societal Problem ...... which Really is Virtually no Longer an Option Available in a Systemic Fiscal Power Meltdown Scenario/War Game Theatre of Operations?

Oh ... and you may have to Accept that IT is all just a Red Team White Hat Security BetaTest of Global Defensive Systems/SCADA Vulnerability Testings with Champion Knights more Black Watch Benign and Savvy than Black Hat Malicious and Subversive ....... for only One of them has a Brighter Sunny Future in Greener Future and Foreign Fields with their Myriad Derivative Options for Hedging and Insuring against Failure.

Which was a little something which I would have shared with that Bastion of British Communications, this morning on Mr Peston's blog, but they are blocking HyperRadioProActive comment and thus are Creating XXXXStream Traffic Jams/Sweet and Sticky Honey elsewhere. And all I want to say was Well Done, ......

"At 4:11 am on 10 Apr 2009, amanfromMars wrote:

"Yet another banking story - a little more variety of business topics, as requested by many of your posters, would be refreshing and most welcome." ...... #4. AComprehensiveGirl

ACG,

It is not another banking story, it is virtual business at its finest and this particular tale one of a change of internal drivers, an upgrade/engine replacement, which may even be considered as the introduction of a brand new model to the market/range/Grid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/2009/04/barclays_painful_deal.html "

Is "How Banking Really Works Virtually ..... a Nuclear Secret for Personal Enrichment" .... a Sensitive and Valuable Document /Diamond Script/Open Source Security Intelligence Secret/Houston Problem easily Solved with Virtual Reality Control Asset Lease Purchase?

Now there's an Interesting Inside Track Tale, El Reg, for a Long Good Friday, and none of IT Useless Spin.

13. Richard Kay
    Linux

Linux attacks

The password guessing attacks on Linux secure shell servers are occasionally successful so those running Linux can't afford to be complacent either. Installing Denyhosts or something similar, using strong passwords, not allowing direct root logins, only allowing accounts needing remote login access, and having user account names which are not obvious all help minimise the risk of a successful password guess.

AFAIK the reason Linux machines are compromised by this means is because a compromised Linux machine can be used to act as a command and control server within a much larger botnet of infected Windows machines.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuzzy's logic.

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

"The Linux/OSX fanboi's don't start OK? The only reason they are not attacked is nothing to do with security, any system is only as strong as the tech-savviness of the user, but more to do with market forces. Malware is a business now, a big business and the piddling numbers of Lnx/OSX machines compared to Windows just makes Windows more profitable. OK?

Thank you for listening."

Your logic is apparently as fuzzy as your moniker, my friend. Firstly, with impeccable clarity you correctly identify Microsoft OSs as the biggest attack vector for malware in all its many disguises.

Then you follow through by adopting Windows as your primary operating system and so place yourself directly in harm's way.

Finally you decide to attack people who have chosen to follow the logic and remove themselves to a more secure place.I'm sure you will understand why we aren't listening, Fuzzy, but do keep on taking your medication.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like