back to article Australia to phase out checks by 2030

Australia will phase out checks as a payment method by 2030, and the nation's government will stop issuing them two years earlier. The death of checks was recommended in a Strategic Plan for Australia's Payments System, delivered on Wednesday and endorsed by treasurer Jim Chalmers in a speech announcing the decision the same …

1. tony72

Checks?

Checks? Even if that is indeed the antipodean spelling (which Bing chat assures me it is not, in this context, and in the linked "Strategic Plan for Australia’s Payments System" PDF, it is spelled "cheque"), as a British site, I feel El Reg should stick to "cheque".

1. nematoad
      WTF?

Re: Checks?

Hmm.

Better check to see if you have any cheques lying around!

2. f4ff5e1881
      Facepalm

Exceedingly poor show, El Reg. It's true that cheques aren't being used so much these days, but that's no excuse for spelling the word the silly way!

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

It is definitely not the antipodean spelling

4. IGotOut Silver badge

Came to say the same thing.

Saw headline "...to phase out checks" and thought what checks? All checks? Is it now a free for all? No passport control, no safety checks, no preflight checks, no quality checks?

Wahooo, chaos!

5. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Headmaster

Whilst I fully agree, and the headline is even more misleading, it could be worse... imagine if the were phasing out Gregorys!

(For the colonies, cockney rhyming slang: Gregory Peck = cheque; rubber gregory = cheque that bounces)

1. marky_boi

Gregorys is that antiquated book of maps you used to use to navigate a city.

we don't none of that cockney shite here

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Windows

In the UK, that was called an A-Z. I believe you can still buy them, though I doubt anyone actually does.

1. Macs1000

Which, of course, is pronounced A to Zed.

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Cheques?

A-Z I do as they are useful. Satnav discs are very expensive if you can find them.

Also carry a pile of OS 1:25,000 maps

2. Diogenes

Gregorys is that antiquated book of maps you used to use to navigate a city.

Only in Sinny. In Melboring its Melways, in Brisbane its a Refidex.

1. Wexford

And in Perth it is (was?) the UBD.

6. david 12 Silver badge

Since, as noted in the article, Aussies don't use ch***s, it would seem that the spelling is a moot point.

7. abetancort

Check mate, my friend.

8. MJI Silver badge

Totally confused me.

Why would you not check something?

9. iron Silver badge

You might want to check the nationality of this shit show. In case you hadn't realised it became Ameridum earlier this year.

10. Rich 2 Silver badge

I appreciate I have no right to be pissed off at El Reg’s move to be “American”, However, as a long time reader (20+ years)

IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

1. RegGuy1 Silver badge
        Coat

Wow. You really are a slow reader.

(I'll get my coat...)

11. Dan 55 Silver badge

If they're going to wilfully use the American spelling instead of the British and Australian spelling, they should at least disambiguate it with "bank checks" like an American publication would.

They're not pleasing anyone here, but look at the engagement!

1. david 12 Silver badge

Bank Cheques are actually a different thing, sort of part way between "Cheque" and "cash" ("Bank Note")

12. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Australian’s speak English - not Umerican - so use Cheques.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

Bouncing checks

Are they like cheques?

1. Roger Greenwood

Re: Bouncing checks

Did you mean this Bouncing Czech? https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/robert-maxwell-legacy-of-the-bouncing-czech/35131452.html

2. Diogenes

Never forget the headline "Cash bounces dud Czech" when Pat Cash won Wimbledon beating Ivan Lendl.

1. Wexford

We had "Cash is better than a Czech" in our Perth rag. They were all onto a winner that day!

3. wiggers

There's the English spelling and then there are mistakes.

4. Mishak Silver badge
    Coat

Time for...

an obligatory kangaroo joke?

5. Benegesserict Cumbersomberbatch Silver badge
    WTF?

Cheques

Why would someone go through a press release and systematically change a word to the wrong spelling?

Aussies write cheques (although the last time I needed one was to buy a house). Check is what you do to your pocket for the house keys before you go outside. Those little marks you put in boxes on forms are called ticks.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Cheques

Maybe the Americans this site is trying to cosy up to can't handle reading English spelled the way it's supposed to be...?

1. MJI Silver badge

Ans the people who read English slowly drop off due to crap like this.

I used to be on a couple of times a day, now a couple of times a week.

With Dabbsy gone, basically BOFH.

1. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

I'm reminded of the twilight years of Byte; or the unexcitement of Computer Weekly turning up at work. :|

2. NeilPost Silver badge

Perhaps they used the spell cheque for a change …. before publishing the article.

I have someone at work who systematically goes through our weekend global operations summary and replaces dates like 10-Jun-2023 which anyone can understand to 6/10/23 in Umerican (Canadian).

Probably a Y2K denier.

6. nafmo

They still exist?

Wow, do checks still exist? Last time I saw one was in the 1990s, when I did work practice at the local bank branch office. I believe that in the two weeks I was there, we had one or two people depositing checks into their accounts.

1. Barrie Shepherd

Re: They still exist?

Well my HMRC tax refund came by cheque, ERNIE pays out with a 'Warrant' which is identical to a cheque, British Gas sent me a refund cheque so I guess they still exist and have benefit - and long may they do so.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Last time I encountered one was in a supermarket in France, when some old bat was paying for her 6 Euros of groceries with a cheque. And that was in 2009. I think even the french have moved on.

1. f4ff5e1881
          Headmaster

And therein lies the problem. Phase them out too soon, and you effectively deprive a section of society (the 'old bats', as you quaintly describe them) of a payment method that they understand and trust. I hope it doesn't happen in the UK for at least another 30-40 years.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Cheque guarantee cards were abolished in 2011, so in terms of paying by cheque in a supermarket, that has long since stopped here.

1. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

I'd forgotten they existed: IIRC my debit card also did the job of a cheque guarantee card since probably the late '80s. I vaguely remember them making a big deal about it being "three-in-one"; not sure of the other, at a guess probably cash machines (with all the cheque/check carry on part of me wanted to write "cache machine"... sigh).

1. david 12 Silver badge

being "three-in-one"

The card technology is still three-in-one -- payment points still offer me the choice of "cheque, savings, or credit'. But my bank now refuses to put my transaction account ("cheque") on the same card as my credit account because of some interpretation of the local money-laundering / transaction reporting laws.

2. Mike 125

Idiot now. Old bat soon enough.

3. heyrick Silver badge

I didn't downvote, but I can assure you that the oldies here are quite attached to their chéquiers...

4. cookieMonster Silver badge

Er, no.

They still do use them here. All the f€&@ing time!!

Mainly elderly/retired. For the simple reason that they are free, there’s no transaction charge for the user.

When at the supermarket these days my choice of checkout is not how long the queue is, it’s the age group of those waiting.

1. f4ff5e1881
            Happy

Maybe do your grocery shopping online, then you won't have to suffer the indignity of waiting for the pepperpots with their incessantly flapping chequebooks.

2. iron Silver badge

My 90 year old father who hasn't used a cheque since the 90s would like to disagree.

As would my 50 year old self.

5. captain veg Silver badge

> Last time I encountered one was in a supermarket in France

They still exist, and people still use them in French supermarkets.

There never was any "cheque guarantee card" here. Firstly a cheque bears not only your name but also your address. Secondly bouncing a cheque was (and is) a serious offence, which could easily get you blacklisted and unable to ever get a bank account again. Thirdly, what the F was that ever about anyway? Why would the production of a piece of plastic make your cheque any more trustworthy?

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

‘Checks’ still very common in the prehistoric US Banking System.

2. Wally Dug

From memory, a "warrant" is a guaranteed payment (i.e. it cannot be stopped, unlike a cheque) from the government that uses the cheque clearing system to be processed. As it's a guaranteed payment, there is no clearing time on it and the funds are available immediately, regardless of the value of the warrant.

1. Jim Whitaker
          Thumb Up

Not many people know that. Every day is a school day.

3. ChrisC Silver badge

DVLA also refund vehicle tax by cheque, the OH still gets her share dividends paid out by cheque, and last time I needed to claim for a delayed train journey, that was paid by cheque as well. And chequing my check pay...I'm sorry, I'll read that again...checking my cheque payment history I see the last cheques paid into my account were from an older relative sending money to our kids last Christmas.

So on the side of the pond where a visit to the bank may see your cheque checked by a Czech cheque checker, cheques very much are still a big deal, both to individuals and to companies and organisations of all sizes.

1. heyrick Silver badge

The thing about cheques is that they don't require the emitter to know anything about your bank details. Direct transfers and the like require the emitter to know your IBAN and whatever else to know where to send the money.

1. f4ff5e1881

Also, you have a fair degree of certainty, that when a cheque clears, the intended recipient has received their money. Contrast that with, say, a BACS payment, where you plug in the account / sort code details, send it off into the ether, and hope for the best - there's no confirmation the money has reached the intended recipient.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Other than the change to add - the bizarrely not there from the start - name verification at destination when setting up the payment.

2. AdamWill

But as the article notes:

"But the Treasurer and the document he delivered both expressed confidence that Australia will survive the demise of checks – because its New Payments Platform (NPP) improves clearing between financial institutions and allows real-time peer-to-peer payments between accountholders using just an email address or phone number as an identifier."

We have something similar in Canada - https://www.interac.ca/en/consumers/products/interac-e-transfer/ - and it has absolutely taken over. I use it to split restaurant bills, most small service businesses (builders, catsitters, all those kinds of things) prefer it for payments (it costs them much less than credit cards and is much less of a pain than dealing with cheques), and most people use it for buying and selling through craigslist, facebook marketplace etc (much safer than carrying a bunch of cash around). All you need is the recipient's phone number or email address, all the recipient has to do is attach their phone number or email address to their bank account. Transfers usually go through in less than five minutes.

The only time I get cheques any more is for share sales from a US broker. They do offer direct deposits, but they won't deposit in US dollars to my US dollar chequing account (these are common in Canada), they will only deposit in Canadian dollars, meaning they would do the currency conversion at a pretty uncompetitive rate.

3. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

Sounds a bit like SMTP for money.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

> cheque checked [..] Czech cheque checker

...lay a little egg for me.

1. moonhaus

"cheque checked Czech cheque checker

...lay a little egg for me."

A nest egg? :-)

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In the US, checks are still common. When selling our house and buying a new one, we wrote and received several, including a couple really big ones. Most of the tradesmen we worked with took checks rather than having to pay 3% to the bank for the privilege of accepting credit cards. I pay my water bill by check, so I don't have to pay the $3 fee they charge for credit card payments on a $30 bill. First paycheck from most employers is typically an actual paper check, as direct deposit isn't set up yet. And there's no way I'm going to give a company permission to take whatever they feel they're owed out of my checking account; I'm going to verify it's the right amount before authorizing it, which typically means paying with credit card.

(And here in the US, "check" is the correct spelling and "cheque" is a mistake. Separated by a common language. Stop complaining about it.)

1. Cynical Pie
            Trollface

We aren't complaining about the spelling, merely pointing out your version is wrong

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

… esp. in Australia… the subject of the article.

So much for Diversity and Inclusion.

4. Lusty

HMRC only send you a cheque if you don't accept their now default electronic payment so that's on you.

5. david 12 Silver badge

British Gas sent me a refund cheque

Yes I contracted with a company that sent out refund cheques.

For business, the brilliant thing about cheques is that people stash them somewhere, maybe deposit three months later, or maybe loose them entirely. Win Win Win!

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

They sure do. I sold an investment last month and a "cheque" duly arrived in the post 4 days later. Why? Because I had not given them my back account details at least six months prior to my decision to sell my ISA. All part of their anti-money laundering rules they said. I didn't care. As long as I got the money everything was A-OK.

I write 1-2 of the things a year as presents for the Grandchildren. They have accounts but I don't know where so I leave it up to the parents to deposit the things.

3. xyz Silver badge

I had to get a bank cheque this morning because an electronic transfer wasn't good enough (for the seller) and I had to go to something called a bank (murder to find) and speak to someone behind a counter. She gave me a bit of paper with a rubber stamp on it! There were things called photocopiers behind her and lots of boxes of paper.

It felt like one of those "living" museums that they use to show how people lived 100s of years ago.

1. iron Silver badge

Banks have counters? What is this the 1900s?

1. captain veg Silver badge

> Banks have counters? What is this the 1900s?

Yep. In France we still have bank branches, complete with counters. Many of them are open on Saturdays. And we have bank managers that you can reason with. None has ever been known to say "computer says no".

-A.

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Wait, you can reason with the French?

1. Vulch

As long as they aren't Parisiens.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"bank managers that you can reason with."

Ah, your story was going so well until this bit...

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Of course they do. How else would they know how much money they have?

4. Terry 6 Silver badge

You mean the bank staff had rather fancy suits on? But why would they deposit them, surely they'd wear them home. Unless, I guess they were embarrassed by the tastelessness of the pattern.

5. RegGuy1 Silver badge

Well I pay my annual ground rent using one. There is an online system, but that is *always* wrong. I get a discount for paying early but the online system refuses to recognise it.

I can ring them up, wait a day or two for them to change the system, then pay online. It is just easier to write a cheque and post it.

BTW, ground rent: scumbag system, devised more than 800 years ago, where someone expects you to give them money for the privilege of keeping your house on their land. Of course, it's very difficult to move my house, so it is easier to pay the tax (sorry, rent).

7. Dabooka
    WTF?

What checks are these?

Border control? Car safety? Banning of chessboards?

Oh, you mean cheques!

8. mmonroe

Banking apps

"For individual users, NPP transactions appear in their preferred banking apps within seconds..."

How does this work when my preferred app is the old fashioned bank book? I still have my BankSA passbook and a Nationwide passbook here in Blighty. Both have money in them.

1. Benegesserict Cumbersomberbatch Silver badge

Re: Banking apps

If someone were generous enough to send you a direct deposit, it would be printed out in your passbook the next time you took it into a branch to transact, backdated to the day it happened, along with any interest accrued in the meantime.

You'll need to publish your BSB number(s) for there to be any chance of that.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

> If someone were generous enough to send you a direct deposit

And how were they able to do this?

I write a cheque to “John Smith” and either hand it directly to the John Smith I intend paying or post it to them (no other information being necessary). Okay John Smith can give the cheque to someone else and the letter can get lost in the post, but a bank will only accept it if it is being paid into an account where the holders name is some reasonable permutation of John Smith.

Interestingly, just received a refund from a company with whom I have a direct debt with. Due to various new rules they couldn’t simply refund to the account the direct debt was on and they did not have visibility of the account details, so over the phone I had to give them my account details so that they could make the repayment.

1. Benegesserict Cumbersomberbatch Silver badge

With the BSB, of course.

BSB = Bank-State-Branch

063-184 is East Geelong branch (branch number= 184, Victoria = 3) of Commonwealth Bank (06), an extinct branch office memorialised in the number of the account I opened there 2 decades ago. You can safely publish them with your account number and people can send you as much money as they like.

2. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

a bank will only accept it if it is being paid into an account where the holders name is some reasonable permutation of John Smith.

In practice, cheque cashing is automated and there are no checks (CHECKS, not CHEQUES! See?) on the intended beneficiary. Banks will only investigate if you contest where the funds have been transferred to and compare the name on the paper (or more probably the scanned copy) with the one on the account.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

> In practice, cheque cashing is automated and there are no checks

The difference between over-the-counter (ie. Human) service and machine.

With all the focus on security, we tend to forget banks tend to make judgement calls, hence why they still use 4 digit pins etc. I suspect the number of dubious cheques currently presented to automated cheque cashing machines doesn’t justify the cost of incorporating greater intelligence in the scanning app.

2. Somone Unimportant

Your BankSA passbook may have a BSB and account number attached to it, however you'd need to contact BankSA - sorry St George - sorry, Westpac - to find out what that is.

BankSA accounts were converted to St George accounts some twenty or more years ago (still a good number of years after the Dragon bought the old State Bank of SA) and all received new numbers. Westpac have - wisely IMHO - retained St George accounts "as is" in the main, probably having read about the dog's breakfast that the St George assimillation of BankSA accounts was.

And I lost my BankSA passbook at the time too, because "we no longer do them".

3. Jim Mitchell

Here in the land of the check, the USA, passbook accounts have been passe for decades.

9. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

Don't know what you've lost till it's gone.....

I find cheques are still one of the best and easiest ways to exchange money with people. Call me an old fart, but the less people I have to give my bank details to in order for them to transfer money to me, the more secure I feel. Similar if I owe money to people - I don't want to be the custodian and responsible for safekeeping their sortcode and account details.

I certainly will not give any humongous corporate entity (gas, 'leccy, etc) the ability to direct debit from my account any amount the want whenever they want. Those companies could not care less about accuracy or what they do. I have friends who have erroneously had thousands of pounds direct debit from their account and then spent months trying to get it back, evenm after they have got companies to admit it was an error.

The only reason why cheques are being dropped is because the banks and big companies cannot be arsed doing something that takes effort - in a similar way to having real branches. They must save millions per year by closing a branch, yet none of that money comes back to customers.

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: Don't know what you've lost till it's gone.....

I still use cheques.

I rent a garage and pay each month using a cheque.

Also I am on the committee of a car club and when the club pay expenses they do in the form of a cheque as it needs to signed by two people and they can’t do that online yet.

But these days I pay them in using the bank app.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

FYI two (or more) person authorization for electronic payments is fairly common among more serious banks, often associated with high-value payments...

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

"The only reason why cheques are being dropped is because the banks and big companies cannot be arsed doing something that takes effort - in a similar way to having real branches."

Same with cash - try paying it in. Oh yes Sir, as the owner of a small business you can pay in cash but only if you shut your shop before 2pm, travel 15 miles to the nearest branch, pay for parking, stand in the 30 minute queue (in the branch that nobody uses apparently) to pay in your cash then drive back and reopen your shop ...

Cash is next to go - as simple person-to-person transfer it holds its face value and doesn't make the banks money but EVERY credit/bank card transfer gives them an automatic cut ...

1. ColinPa

Some banks have a feature of their app - you take a picture through the app of the cheque and it magically get credited to your account.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Facepalm

Yeah and Barclays banking app's attempt at that sucks. It's fine for the front of the cheque but then it insists on a picture of the back and it can take multiple attempts before the software accepts the picture. It's particularly annoying since the back of most cheques are blank.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

The fall back for the Barclays app is to visit the machines outside their branches as these will take/scan cheques and seem to do a reasonable job of it - yet to have to correct a scan.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

And bizarrely *don't* offer the same facility through web-based online banking. Presumably JPEG on a PC is a different format to JPEG on a phone...

2. jmch Silver badge

"simple person-to-person transfer it holds its face value and doesn't make the banks money but EVERY credit/bank card transfer gives them an automatic cut "

Not so simple! Firstly, if you are considering only person-to-person transfer:

- "In-App" electronic transfers are free, no different to person-to-person cash transfer

- Bank transfers within borders are free within most countries

- International payments between Euro countries (SEPA) are generally free, or if charged, cannot exceed the cost of a local transfer

- Other international payments, even same-currency, are charged. Doubly so if it involves currency conversion, usually at an extortionate rate

(it's normal for long-distance payments to incur some cost, you anyway can't transfer cash that way.... even if you're willing to trust the post, there is some fee)

For person-to-business transfers

- With every credit card or debit card transaction, the merchant is charged (usually about 3%) by the credit card company (Visa/Master), with some of that being passed on to the issuing bank.

- Business handling of cash is NOT free. Most banks charge a fee for cash bulk deposits

- From a merchant point of view, cash handling can cost more than the 3% charged by card companies (cost of additional security, cost of bulk cash handling at bank, more onerous audit requirements against money laundering)

3. Bebu Silver badge
      Windows

Pretty much agree.

Just about every utility or service wants to put a 'suck' on your bank account - like blood sucking leeches, ticks or horse flies without any redeeming features. Sometimes the only way to defend yourself is to have separate but limited standalone account with a different institution - checking that the two are independent (read the T&C to understand why this is critical.)

You might get away with a prepaid debit card (eg Travel Money) but at least one telco in AU refuses them.

Recent history in AU has clearly demonstrated that all these enterprises are incapable of keeping our confidential financial information secure.

One thing about cheques (which I still use just on principle) is that its pretty difficult to sign one without impregnating the paper with your DNA. So a dodgy cheque with your signature but lacking your DNA is very likely a forgery.

《Le vieux schnock.》 so much more elegant than the literal "le vieux pet" :)

4. Wade Burchette

They are being phased out because they are not profitable for banks.

Credit cards typically have a 2%-4% processing fee per transaction. The bank keeps some of that, the processing company keeps some, and Visa/Mastercard/etc keeps some. My bank waives all bank fees if I use my credit card 6 times per month. In the United States, Paypal started the thoroughly wrong trend where they keep all that processing fee on refunds. Others are now doing the same. Greed greed greed. (I wish Paypal would go under already!)

The only fee for a check/cheque is the fee to purchase them. And I can purchase them from any third party. Banks make nothing off checks. That is why banks want to phase them out. It has nothing to do with what is good for the consumer or security. Because of the credit card fees, I always try to pay by cash or check to small businesses.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        FAIL

Yup, just another way for the fatasses (or for those complaining about the word "check" -- fatarses) to get a little fatter, and for hackers, scammers and other related subhumans to get another avenue to steal from you. And this is a good thing how, again?

1. captain veg Silver badge

I have both a fat arse and also a fat ass. Both of us could use more exercise, but the donkey gets out more.

-A.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Here, it's the merchant that pays the card fees (typically 0.30% for credit and 0.20% for debit, plus a network use fee). They are not allowed to offer different prices on how you pay, but they are allowed to set a minimum (like €10) and they can choose to refuse cards entirely, but generally they'd lose more than they'd stand to gain as a shop these days that doesn't accept credit cards is considered a bit dodgy. Hell, the tea shop I go to is quite happy to let me pay €2 with plastic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Leftpondian here. My understanding is that our merchant fees are 3% with a certain minimum fee which is why many refuse credit card payments on small purchases (ex. $3 minimum). I'm pretty confident the fees are >2%, as my credit card gives me 2% cash back, and I'm sure they wouldn't be operating at a loss.

2. hitmouse

But many of these venues manually set the higher fee irrespective of whether you use a credit or debit card.

3. Roland6 Silver badge

>” Banks make nothing off checks.”

Back in the 1960s~1970s in the days before free banking, I remember my father doing the monthly bill payments at the local bank counter, he used to write a single

cheque for multiple bills because the (uk high st) bank charged per cheque transaction.

5. AdamWill

"Call me an old fart, but the less people I have to give my bank details to in order for them to transfer money to me, the more secure I feel."

You don't have to. See article, and the other comment I posted. Any competent banking system can set up a convenient transfer system which only requires a phone number or email address as an identifier, and many already have. (In the US, because Americans are hilarious, their banking system can't do this, so they outsourced this job to new venture-capital-backed companies which charge more money and leak your personal information all over the place, see under Venmo).

"I certainly will not give any humongous corporate entity (gas, 'leccy, etc) the ability to direct debit from my account any amount the want whenever they want. Those companies could not care less about accuracy or what they do. I have friends who have erroneously had thousands of pounds direct debit from their account and then spent months trying to get it back, evenm after they have got companies to admit it was an error."

Use a credit card; you can then challenge any incorrect transaction through your credit card provider.

"The only reason why cheques are being dropped is because the banks and big companies cannot be arsed doing something that takes effort - in a similar way to having real branches. They must save millions per year by closing a branch, yet none of that money comes back to customers."

Well, yeah, of course. They're companies, their job is making money. Being "arsed" to do stuff costs money, and that'd bad. So long as they calculate the number of "old fart"s has declined to a level where servicing them with cheques costs more than they produce in profit, cheques are gonna be gone. Behold, the free market! Innit great.

6. jmch Silver badge

" the less people I have to give my bank details to in order for them to transfer money to me, the more secure I feel. Similar if I owe money to people - I don't want to be the custodian and responsible for safekeeping their sortcode and account details."

That's why direct-payment apps work quite nicely - you only need (eg revolut) a username or a phone number (this latter could be dodgy as SIMs can be cloned/stolen). Here in Switzerland there is a system called Twint where anyone wanting to receive money through the system has a unique QR code. Customer /sender scans the code and enters an amount, money is instantly transfered and visible in recipients account in a couple of seconds. Solves the problem of sharing account details for within-borders transfers.

"I certainly will not give any humongous corporate entity (gas, 'leccy, etc) the ability to direct debit from my account any amount the want whenever they want."

Absolutely and unreservedly!

"cheques are being dropped is because the banks and big companies cannot be arsed doing something that takes effort - in a similar way to having real branches"

Definitely this. There is no added value to customers from self-service / ATMs except 'open-all-hours'. Anyone needing to do some serious banking (loan applications, busines banking etc) is now restricted to a smaller number of branches (so typically further away and more congested)

7. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

These statements make me laugh!

Everything anyone needs to drain your bank account is printed at the bottom of your cheque!

In the US it is account # and routing #!

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"the less people I have to give my bank details to in order for them to transfer money to me, the more secure I feel."

Sorry to tell you, but your wonderfully secure cheque includes your full bank account number.

I can't speak to American banks, but personal cheques from Canadian banks have the bank branch ID[*], bank number, and account number in a very special font along the bottom. That's why, if you're so inclined, you can give one to a company that you'll allow to do direct withdrawals - that line of numbers is all they need to enter in their payment processing system.

[*] Historically if you moved, and switched to using a different branch, you probably had to change this part of the account number. It's now just the branch ID if the branch you opened the account with.

1. david 12 Silver badge

your wonderfully secure cheque includes your full bank account number.

The post to which you were replying was making the point that the cheque does not include nor require the account number of the destination.

10. f4ff5e1881
    Happy

Musical Cheques

I'm with Kim Wilde on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNjFm7CoE84

11. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I see we've had a visit

from someone who doesn't like the word 'cheque'...

1. f4ff5e1881
      Coat

Re: I see we've had a visit

On the contrary, it's a lovely word, as Miranda might say... "Cheque. Cheque. Cheque." But only when it's spelt properly.

12. marky_boi
    Facepalm

C H E Q U E spell after me

nothing else to say

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: C H E Q U E spell after me

What? There are spaces between each letter of that word?!? Who knew?

1. f4ff5e1881
        Coat

All this talk of money could make anyone feel a bit spaced out.

2. Rich 2 Silver badge

Why the fuck would anyone vote your post down????

An American that can’t spell, maybe?

13. mark l 2 Silver badge

I checked my cheque book (no pun intended) and the last time I wrote one to pay for something was 2012, although the last time i paid one into my account was only a few months ago, when I had to claim from the Royal Mail for a missing parcel, which they sent me compensation in the form of a cheque.

14. heyrick Silver badge
    Pint

Recently it seems that posts are "submitted and awaiting moderation". I wonder if the person doing it here is like "oh my god, another one" as it seems most of the comments are about a UK site writing an article about Australia and then misspelling the item in question. Something that wasn't missed by anybody.

Icon, for the moderator...

15. Glen Turner 666

Cheques are so dead that there are a lot of uncashed cheques in Oz

Cheques have become like corporate gift cards. If a company owes a lot of people money, say they've overcharged like so many insurance companies did for the past two years, then they'll send cheques because the company knows full well that they won't be cashed by 100% of recipients.

1. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Re: Cheques are so dead that there are a lot of uncashed cheques in Oz

THIS!! Organizations that send out large numbers of payments love checks and/or cheques, as there is a non-zero percentage of the things that don't get presented or cashed. Compare with electronic payments...

I came across a check (left pond) a while back that was part of closing on a house, for some small amount related to an over-charge on something or other... about $10 or so. They stapled the thing to the last page of a final account summary which was part of a bundle with a cover sheet that asserted that these were for my records, so I filed them...

Of course, by this stage, the check is no longer valid, so in order to collect my $10 I'd have to reach out to the issuer, jump through the hoops, etc etc etc and while I won't go as far as to say it's not worth it, thus far I've had better things to do with my time! Maybe next week, or the week after...?

2. Benegesserict Cumbersomberbatch Silver badge

I keep a cheque from Telstra for $0.90 that they posted to me as a refund on a very slightly overpaid phone bill which was then shut down, for a postage fee of, you guessed it, $0.90.

Every time I look at it it reminds me that corporates are prepared to spend money to not lose money.

1. dave 76

Trying to even find a bank in Australia that will let you deposit a cheque is getting harder and harder. Just HSBC and some credit unions now it seems.

The only check I get these days is from US Tax Refund (so "check" is correct in this context) but in some years, the fees to deposit a US dollar check into a Australian bank account would be greater than the refund that I am getting.

1. Zebranky

I used to get annoyed when companies sent me cheques, until I discovered I could deposit them into my account at any post office

A nice brisk lunchtime walk and the money that corporation was hoping they could hold onto is back in my account where it belongs.

Also Simon, Shame on you, as an Australian writing about a Australian policy change in Australia the article should have used the correct spelling 'Cheque' with a note for the US readers that this is how its spelt in Australia.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheques IS how we spell it here in Oz.

17. hitmouse

Run it through Microsoft Speech transcription

If you set your language to English(UK) or English(Asutralia) it transcribes every utterance of "check" as "cheque"

So even if you're just talking about "checks and balances", "check in on someone", "a pattern with checks", it all comes out as "cheques and balances", "cheque in on someone", "a pattern with cheques", ...

1. heyrick Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Run it through Microsoft Speech transcription

Sounds like a problem that can be solved with... <drum roll>... A.I.

18. Phil Kingston

Now, about medical places still relying on fax machines

19. Winkypop Silver badge
    Headmaster

If I remember my grade 3 spelling class

Here in Australia it’s spelt “cheque”, mate!

Mrs Walton would not have lied to us.

20. PaulHayes

I clicked on this expecting to read a story about immigration checks all being bounced/refused.

But it's a story about cheques being phased out.

Is the writer too young to remember cheques?

21. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Don't know why

you guys are bagging on Americans because El Reg chose to use the American spelling for checks. We know what cheques are, and we aren't the ones wanting them to Americanize the site. Perhaps you should start emailing them every time they Americanize a story? Doesn't make me any difference, but this story would have maybe 5 comments if the "correct spelling" comments were removed.

Really, the more concerning thing here is using just a phone number to identify a bank account. Unless there's more to it than that, seems a thief could start cleaning out bank accounts wholesale.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like