back to article UK.gov reboots ERP refresh with £934 million procurement

UK government has put £934 million ($1.15 million) on the table to update an ERP system in a cluster of Whitehall departments, a mega-project that was heavily criticized over lack of funding and business case. The Department for Work and Pensions has launched a competition for an ERP refresh package worth an estimated £933.7 …

1. kevin king
    Facepalm

Trillions?

"UK government has put £934 million ($1.15 million) on the table to update an ERP"

Either the pound has gained/collapsed in overnight trading or do you mean Billion?

1. Abominator

Re: Trillions?

Worth less than a Yen by that measure. Which ain't much to begin with.

2. ScottishYorkshireMan

Another Tory spend on complete pish no doubt...

So, is Matt Hancocks Landlord supplying this?

Or is this one going to be hauled by one of Chris Graylings pearls of wisdom?

Go on, downvote me, Tory Brexit is shit for you too.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Another Tory spend on complete pish no doubt...

This is the DWP. I take it you've never worked with them. They've always been like that under one name or another and quite immune to changes in government..

I remember helping one of my clients trying to sort out their (DWP's) self-billing system, that was the best part of 20 years ago. The colleague I was working with described them as "not the sharpest knives in the box". More than 50 years ago when I had to make use of a labour exchange (Job Centre) I formed the opinion that at least some of the staff were on the wrong side of the counter. Both those were when Labour were in power.

3. Abominator

Christ on a bike. A billion for an ERP system.

And you know they will still fuck it up.

For that money you could hire 1000 developers and buy infrastructure and fund the whole shebang for 10 years.

You would like to think it would not take 1000 developers 10 years to build it however.

80 thousand staff in the DoWP. It's bigger than the army. Why the fuck does it take so many people.

4. Code For Broke

Word of the year, 2024: Oracilian.

5. ICam

"a cluster of Whitehall departments"

...will eventually receive a new ERP system that'll be an utter cluster-fuck.

As usual.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: "a cluster of Whitehall departments"

"will eventually receive a new ERP system"

That seems a bit optimistic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like