back to article Meta promises UK it won't pilfer rivals' ad data to build Facebook Marketplace

Remember when the European Commission and the UK started investigating Meta on the suspicion it was helping itself to rivals' data and using it to build its own products, including Facebook Marketplace? On the UK competition regulator's side at least, Meta has offered not to do this, but first needs to implement new technical …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

As someone who still uses Facebook (because of family), the option to opt out completely from some of the useless rubbish - Marketplace, Reels, Messenger - would make it a much more satisfying experience for me.

1. 43300 Silver badge

Going off at a tangent here, but it pisses me right off when large retailers (Tesco, Argos spring to mind) don't have an email contact option any more and the equivalent they offer (apart from sometimes online chat, which is no use outside of their 'chat' hours) is Facebook Messenger and/or WhatsApp - I don't have accounts on either and have no intention of signing up for an account on them just so that I can contact a third party. There should be a ban on this and all retailers with an online prescence should have to provide a customer enquiries email address.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Back in the day, it was websites that only worked with IE on Windows.

If you weren't using Windows, you were some sort of freak that needed to be brought into the modern world. Many sites refused to work with anything else, and to make matters worse, if you spoofed your user agent to match IE, 9 times out of 10, things worked ok.

Different times, same clueless and misguided arrogance.

1. 43300 Silver badge

That issue has made a partial return with Chromium-based browsers becoming the norm. Certainly I've encountered a number of things which don't work properly on Firefox (Hello browser-based version of Teams, for one!). I don't use Safari so don't know whether the same problems occur there.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Meta's promises????

And their track record especially regarding Whatsapp is not exactly reliable.

Zuck will do anything for money... much like Trump in thats respect.

1. Awk_ward

Re: Meta's promises????

As the saying goes, it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

There's absolutely no basis of credibility to believe anything that META says at all.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Utter horseshit

"...but first needs to implement new technical systems and train up its staff."

Just when you think you've heard it all, along comes bullshit like this.

They have to train people to STOP doing something? Fuck off Facebook.

1. Ball boy Silver badge

Re: Utter horseshit

Nah, it's a classic legal answer: first they have to build the new systems (endless scope to delay the roll-out there) and, when a workable version is finally delivered, they can start blaming 'misunderstanding in the staff training'.

Don't worry though, Mark will assure us that 'We take our responsibilities around data integrity seriously and are committed to providing a level playing field for our competitors' so it'll work out alright; we're in safe hands.

</sarcasm>

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Utter horseshit

Well para 2 can’t apply because they can’t spell endeavour properly so it won’t stand up in the courts of England and Wales (Scotland probably has a different spelling too :-) )

And as for 3 - what does that mean - personal acknowledgements ?

Sounds like weasley words to be able to say it was the employee’s fault when they get caught implementing company policy.

4. Ashto5

Trust easily lost

Never able to be regained

Time to rename the company again Marky

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Irrelevant what they promise. Meta already annouced that they are *not*paying the fines they got from GDPR violations, so all of their promises are absolutely meaningless.

They will *not* change *anything* until it starts really to hurt profits. Like 4% of global revenue, i.e. several billions.

Anything less than that is just cost of doing business, *not* "a punishment" in any meaningful sense.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Life without Facebook

As a “never-user”, let me just tell you it’s darn terrific.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Life without Facebook

Check your DNS logs, you'll be shocked at how often your systems try to connect to facebook servers.

7. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
    Alien

I am confused...

On one hand, Meta said that the allegations from the EU are without merit, and on the other hand it said to the UK that it will stop (perhaps, in the future, when the planets are aligned the proper way to see the rise of the Great Ancients) the actions that are listed in the EU complain?

8. Alistair
    Windows

Meta mathematics

See items 1 and 2 in the inset in TFA.

/mzvoice "We'll rejig things with new systems and new education for the worker drones. Once that's done, we'll have an inviolate system in place that will solve these issues. If some moron in our advertising department f$%ks up, it will be *their* fault and we'll be able to fire their ass" /mzvoice

Sorry, that's how I read it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like