back to article IT security analyst admits hijacking cyber attack to pocket ransom payments

A former IT security analyst at Oxford Biomedica has admitted, five years after the fact, to turning to the dark side – by hijacking a cyber attack against his own company in an attempt to divert any ransom payments to himself. Ashley Liles, of Letchworth Garden City, in Hertfordshire, England, pleaded guilty at Reading Crown …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

The Police aren't always as dumb as people make them out to be. (And crooks aren't always as smart as they think they are either)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

True, but I have seen someone being docked for handling CP where it was patently evident to anyone with a shred of knowledge that the pattern didn't fit, nor was the 'evidence' as gathered by Plod anywhere near technically acceptable. Think someone barely able to operate Windows and "certified" to run some analysist software applying it to a Mac and ignoring the fact that the location where that one picture was found did by no means match the alleged perpetrator's competence, making the 'tip'they received rather suspect (especially after a burglary a few days earlier where nothing of value was taken).

That didn't matter in the end: they found one picture and statistics matter far more than someone's life, so the guy got it in the neck - and his family as a consequence.

Of course, the people who DID plant that image are still running around..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And to think that in countries such as Australia the "security services" are permitted to break into a target's computer and make changes. Opens up the possibility of fitting up undesirable people.

But I am assured that has never happened and the police and security agencies are so honest that they would never do such a thing.

1. ChoHag Silver badge

> the police and security agencies are so honest that they would never do such a thing.

You can feel assured of this by the extreme effort an agency which endows people with literal power over others' lives goes to ensure the inevitable river of applicants who seek to abuse such power are discovered and permanently rejected.

Right?

2. jmch Silver badge

"(And crooks aren't always as smart as they think they are either)"

Though to be fair there's an automatic selection bias there - we never hear about the successful ones in the news!!

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

I referred to this sort of insider security threat previously

-> Liles, in his capacity as security analyst for Oxford Biomedica

In the comments to this article - https://www.theregister.com/2023/05/12/exubiquiti_developer_jailed/ - I mentioned the difficulty of preventing insider security problems. It is not an easy thing to do. To me it is the trust element which is so troubling. Burglars burgle (for the benefit of our American cousins, they don't burglarize any more than robbers robberize or murderers murderize their victims) , and that is to be expected. It is why we have locks on our doors. We have an expectation that people inside the door are more trustworthy.

-> Liles had attempted to wipe his devices days before his arrest, but the data was recovered.

This git doesn't appear to be the sharpest of 'security analysts', does he? Which is how he was caught, I guess. He deserve a few years in the slammer for this.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

The New International English Dictionary by ChatGPT

"Burglars burgle (for the benefit of our American cousins, they don't burglarize any more than robbers robberize or murderers murderize their victims)"

Be careful what you write, ChatGPT is listening. I find neither burgle nor burglarize in the 1913 Websters. Searching the web leads to:

"Do Burglars 'Burgle' or 'Burglarize'? ... Both words were formerly disparaged, but both are now considered perfectly fine." (Clealy they didn't ask VoiceOfTruth.) https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/do-burglars-burgle-or-burglarize . It seems disparaging a word is not enough to keep it out of the dictionary.

1. JamesTGrant

Re: The New International English Dictionary by ChatGPT

I found this easy to readerize

2. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
        Headmaster

Merriam-Webster?

The only proper reference is Oxford!

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

I'm actually surprised the OED doesn't have an entry for murderize given its (perhaps ironic) use in the wild. Still, it has a variety of murderish vocabulary, including my new favorites "murderdom" and "murderment".

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

It's really worrying that it's taken five years for this to come to court. Delays of that order seriously undermine the deterrent effect. Only prompt retribution on "bad actors" is going to serve as an effective counter-threat.

4. Martin H Watson

I'm currently reading THE SENTINEL by LEE CHILD, it's the same scenario, with fist fights thrown in.

1. yetanotheraoc Silver badge

True Crime

I was wondering if the Oxford Biomedica case was the basis for the plot? The book came out in 2020 but El Reg doesn't say when the initial arrest was made. I'm still not sure of that, but found this:

Age Discrimination, Breach of Contract, Unfair Dismissal, Working Time Regulations

Decision date: 30 May 2019

https://www.gov.uk/employment-tribunal-decisions/mr-a-liles-v-oxford-biomedica-uk-ltd-3331202-2018

Mr. Liles is a charmer, he will do well after his rehabilitation.

5. IglooDame
    Joke

One could see it coming, though; in his last review Mr. Liles was commended for showing excellent initiative, but his judgment was deemed to require improvement.

6. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Boffin

Even DSU Buckells Had More Sense

As "H" to remote in from another computer, to the computer (That AC12 traced as physically in Spain) to log on to a "IRC server" accessed\owned\maintained by the OCG (Which should be traceable in itself).

It's been 2 years, since the last season finished, so no spoiler tags.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By the time the plod come knocking

You need to already be on the flight to Noextraditionstan.

8. ChoHag Silver badge

> cyber cops often know what they're doing

Logs are not hard to find. They hang around with all the other low hanging fruit that's used whenever the police need to defend their budget.

9. JamesTGrant

…from his home

Having sat down and thought about the perfect crime, the perpetrator then proceeded to email over a video of him logging in and doing the deed.

10. FlamingDeath Silver badge

What an idiot for even considering this was a good plan.

One has to wonder if someone else was party to the activity, was it his own idea, or someone else?

Seems like a quick way to ruin your career and any future prospect of employment in the same industry.

£300,000 isn’t even a lot of money, it’s fuck all

11. t245t Silver badge
    Facepalm

Pretend IT security analyst hacks company computers from own home.

“The unauthorized access was determined to have come from Liles's home .. Liles had attempted to wipe his devices days before his arrest, but the data was recovered.”

So these cyber security qualifications aren't worth the paper they're written on. What he should have done is attach a femtocell to a mobile phone and attach it to the internal network at work. That way he could “hack” in from anywhere there is a mobile signal.

12. joe bixflics

How could an experienced IT professional not know how to wipe his equipment sufficiently with a day's notice?

13. gnasher729 Silver badge

The reason why crooks get away with it is usually that we don’t know who they are. As soon as you are an employee you don’t have that protection so your crime itself must leave no evidence. Much harder to achieve.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like