back to article Google sued over 'interception' of abortion data on Planned Parenthood website

An anonymous complainant has filed a lawsuit against Google, claiming it unlawfully collects health data, including abortion searches, on third-party websites that use Google technology. Jane Doe, whose legal representation is looking to get the case certified as a class action, claims her private information was intercepted …

1. Someone Else Silver badge

/me likes!

Anything that can put a crimp in the unfettered collection of personal data, especially medical data, especially in a post-Roe dystopic Amerika, is a good thing. You go, Jane!

(As I read the article, I was a little disappointed that Jane didn't choose the pseudonym Jane Roe.)

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

From Now On...

You correctly spelled "Amerika". For some reason I need to add it to my browser's dictionary.

2. elDog

The data you store in our cloudy appendages will be fondled.

Unless you (the consumer) has entered into some special non-sharing agreement. And unless your provider also has explicitly said that they will not share with *any* third party (including network and data services), your data will be examined. The robe will be removed, the probes will be inserted.

This is true for all the major vendors (Amazon, google, Microsoft/Azure, ...) Just today a story about how Microsoft actually opens password-protected zip files to look at the contents. That's getting pretty damn personal.

The USofA does have HIPAA (mostly written as if it's a large mammal: HIPPA) which protects (sort of) health information. Very poorly enforced and very hard to use.

Just to add the obligatory: As all of this data is munged together into these wonderful AI "models", your name, sex, last act, etc. may come bopping out - all without any way of attributing to any actual incoming data set.

Yee Haw - it's the wild west, again!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The data you store in our cloudy appendages will be fondled.

"Just today a story about how Microsoft actually opens password-protected zip files to look at the contents. That's getting pretty damn personal."

Not only pretty damned personal, but the fact it's password protected is explicitly denying consent to allow others to look at the contents without authorisation. That ought to be the equivalent of a "Keep Out, No Trespassing" sign which under the right circumstance lets the owner shoot offenders. But, of course, as the article states, there are very few privacy laws in the USA so password protecting your data probably is overruled by the small print in the contract with the host or service that probably says they can do anything they want with any and all information you place on their servers. So, agreed, the Wild West never really went away.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Isn't there some feel-good, toothless law in the States that prohibits reverse engineering or cracking passwords (unless you happen to be a "law enforcement agency")?

2. DrSunshine0104

The pipe dream that will never happen in the US is that changes to privacy notices should also NOT be retroactive. If you change your policy and I don't agree, then you cannot use my personal data any longer. It is a little concerning that company X can claim to be privacy focused, get bought out by company Y or simply change their policy and then suddenly all the agreed private data is suddenly sold to the latest LLM or start-up.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure Google announced they would not collect or use data connected to abortion, but I guess they couldn't deliver that, and suing them is good money to make sure they do deliver.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google should get a free pass

If they didn't install their tracking code on the planned parenthood website, then their liability should be NONE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google should get a free pass

But EVERY website has tracking loaded.

Because funding depends on showing usage stats.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        FAIL

There are other ways to track usage. My Wordpress site has a 3rd party plugin that stores the tracking data locally. Doesn't link with anyhting else, just shows me what people view, their device info and their country. No privacy issues at all.

2. tracker1

I'm with you on this one... There are other, self-hosted, options that Planned Parenthood could and should have used here. I'm not a fan of Google, but IMO this falls squarely at the feet of Planned Parenthood.

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Wow. What a day.

Google has been repeated busted for boosting sites that have their scripts as opposed to those that done. If you are relying on search for any part of your traffic, you can kiss it all goodbye without those scripts.

While I hold the position that whomever is footing the bill is 100% responsible for EVERYTHING that comes off the site (including ads bearing malware), we need some sort of uniform enforcement.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Googel, DeepMind, Zero Consent For Slurped Medical Records.........

.....now where have I heard that before.......

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/03/google-deepmind-16m-patient-royal-free-deal-data-protection-act

Yup.....that would be the Royal Free Trust (...trust?) and Google/DeepMind in 2017.

Is there a pattern her? Surely not!!!!

6. Roland6 Silver badge

>” The reason you'll see US privacy cases filed with claims specific to US state law is because there is no general federal legislation on data protection in the US.”

Whilst the EU has its faults, no on can say that the harmonisation programme behind the Single Market was wrong: if you want to build a unified nation/state you really need to all be singing off the same song sheet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"The Land Of The Free" seems to apply at all levels in the US. It's not just Billy-Bob Nomates claiming he's oppressed by the local town/city and defending his "freedom", the States themselves jealously guard their own level of "freedom", ie sovereignty, from the Federal Government. Even when the Federal Government tries to put federal laws in place based on the powers they actually have, there will be States who will legally challenge those laws based on anything they can think of, especially when it's politically motivated red on blue or blue on red challenges.

7. n10cities

As Eddie Murphy once said....

...it's just someone looking to get PAID.......that's all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like