back to article Capita looking at a bill of £20M over breach clean-up costs

Britain's leaky outsourcing behemoth Capita is warning investors that the clean-up bill for its recent digital break-in will cost up to £20 million ($25.24 million). At the end of March, the business was blindsided when criminals broke into its tech infrastructure and stayed inside for more than a week before Capita realized …

1. msknight

Are they kidding?

"but reputational damage could be 'far greater'" ... what reputation? Who wrote that?

1. Peter Christy

Re: Are they kidding?

That's why they are universally known as "Crapita", isn't it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Capita has taken extensive steps to recover ... the data

Would love to know how. Surely a nobel prize must be in the office for "recovering" the data.

Because I can't see how the miscreants still don't have it. Were they sent a stiff letter ?

1. Diogenes8080

Re: Capita has taken extensive steps to recover ... the data

If the statement refers to the original response then it could mean "we couldn't trust the data so we had to delete and restore it". Even if the CNC part of the breach only refers to an outsourced cleaning contract, you don't want someone wandering around HQ with a bogus cleaner's lanyard.

But yes, erased information can be restored and compromised information remains irrevocably compromised.

There is certainly a massive lack of transparency as to what went wrong. Personally my bet would be on a subcontractor brought in to administer systems on the cheap, a la Lapsus v Okta.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's make it clear.

There's no such thing as reputation damage. Worst case scenario, they will continue to do business as usual under a different name. And governments will be pleased to do business with them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When they give percentages instead of real numbers - that always makes me very suspicious. Also makes me wonder exactly how many we're talking about and across what portions of the business.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

They have everybody

So pretty well 100% of UK households.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Because 0.1% sounds a lot smaller than 1 in a 1000 when they have millions if not billions of records that may have been accessed. Most of the general public don't "get" percentages, especially when it's a smallish fractional number so it leaves a sense of nothing too serious happened and if it did it was only a little bit.

5. s. pam Silver badge
    Mushroom

time for the GDPR fine czar to step in

and fine the living hell out of Crapita for all these breaches!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like