back to article Universe-mapping Euclid satellite arrives in US ahead of July launch

It's been a decade since it was announced, but the Euclid mission to build a 3D map of the universe is finally getting close to launch with the spacecraft landing in Florida ahead of an expected July liftoff. The Euclid mission will send the eponymous probe to Earth-Sun Lagrange point 2 – the same spot as NASA's James Webb …

1. Alien Doctor 1.1

"Euclid's 1.5 million kilometer trip would have begun in Russia and not necessitated an additional leg of 5,170 nautical miles"

Oh dear, mixing measurement standards again? I think we all know what happened previously.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Fortunately

You can't crash into a Lagrange point, so a similar error to whichever Mars mission had this happen would only result in inconvenience rather than end of mission!

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'll give nautical miles a pass. Like the Register sailors get to have their own units.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The Euclid mission will send the eponymous probe to Earth-Sun Lagrange point 2 – the same place as NASA's James Webb Telescope"

Let's hope they don't collide.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

2. steamnut

Agree

Yes, I agree.

Either it is a "point" or it isn't and then, will Euclid be behind or in front of JWT?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Agree

L2 along with the other L's is a point. But the payloads orbit around the point because it's not a minima so it takes fuel to stay exactly there.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

My theory is that dark energy doesn't exist. Our universe is surrounded by multiple universes and gravity applies. The bigger our universe is, the closer it is to the next universes, so the gravity force get bigger and tears our universe apart.

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge
      Joke

You are a chat bot, fed too many science fiction books (see another story today)

I claim my prize!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like