back to article LattePanda's Sigma crams a 12-core Intel Raptor Lake CPU into an itty-bitty SBC

If the idea of cramming a 44W Intel Raptor Lake laptop processor into a system the size of your palm appeals to you, LattePanda's newly launched Sigma single board computer (SBC) might be worth a look. Over the past few years, LattePanda has made a name for itself developing Raspberry Pi-style systems packing full-fat x86 …

1. m4r35n357 Bronze badge

Is anyone but journalists interested in these pointless antics?

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Yes. Me. It almost immediately trigged my iWant reflex.

Luckily for my bank account, it was almost immediately countered by my iWant to know what you plan to do with it. Which would probably involve some kind of home automation, with the ability to play Crysis on every LCD lightswitch.

Ok, so slightly more practically, thinking it would have the potential grunt to do CCTV shenangigans based on facial recognition, ie activating the oubliette trap door based on whoever's trying to flog me something I don't want.

1. Nik 2

LOL to the cry-switch concept, but I think that you can do facial recognition on a Pi4.

Yeh, but.. that's the danger of iWant. Buy now, justify later. This would be a way of future proofing home automation, ie monitoring oubliette's contents, transferring to the auto-loading trebuchet and calculating the ballistics to remove unwanted visitors from my property.

Otherwise the main downsides I see (other than price) are powering the thing.

2. Down not across

Umm...yeah. That is actually quite appealing piece of kit. Could run few VMs and have arduino as well.

iäm quite tempted, if I can catch my wallet that just took off and legged it in fear.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Is anyone but journalists interested in these pointless antics?

Given this is El Reg, quite possibly a higher proportion of the folks around here than almost anywhere else on teh Interwebs

2. Someone Else Silver badge

Sounds like it would make a fine soft-synth controller box...

But I hear you, Down Not Across and Jellied Eel...just try to get this past the resident Chancellor of the Exchequer. Ya feelin' lucky, punk?

just try to get this past the resident Chancellor of the Exchequer. Ya feelin' lucky, punk?

Once I get the trigger mechanism working, I guess I could invite them over for coffee, and possibly a way to boost exports to France once I've got the trebuchet sized correctly.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

Seems to be a bit overpriced for what is essentially an Intel NUC without a case if you were planning on building a home media server. You can pick up a NUC with the same i5-1340P CPU, 16GB RAM and a 256GB M.2 SSD for about £450 from reputable retailers such as CCL. Or a down around the £350 mark if you opt for one with an i3 CPU, which would still probably have more than enough processor power to use as a home media server.

Heck I have a 10 year old Dell Optiplex which only has a 8GB RAM, 2.8ghz dual core CPU and a Radeon 200 series GPU and its able to perform as a home media server.

4. AJ MacLeod

Looks very tempting indeed actually - if there were a version with 32GB RAM (or better, though unlikely, a SODIMM slot) I'd order one now. They really have covered very nearly all the bases - particularly with the storage options.

I've been trying to buy a Lenovo mini PC with similar spec since the start of the year with zero success... they keep cancelling the order whenever it gets close to "shipping" date, extremely frustrating.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like