back to article China has 50 hackers for every FBI cyber agent, says Bureau boss

China has 50 hackers for every one of the FBI's cyber-centric agents, the Bureau's director told a congressional committee last week. Speaking at the House Appropriations Committee's subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies, director Christopher Wray tried to justify the Bureau's budget request by …

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Comment from my evil twin:

Make IT security self funding: ransomeware businesses of value to wealthy and powerful people in China.

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Wow, they are really losing their mind

We Germans remember that propaganda style and recognize it. Every US-American should remember and recognize as well.

1. Guido Esperanto

Re: Wow, they are really losing their mind

Its recognised because of it's cost to the Germans (and others)..

The US don't seem to have that history...yet..

I mean wasn't too long ago, they were (and still are) trying to put a meglomaniac back in charge and his idolators blindly gobble up the propaganda...

2. Zolko Silver badge

@Jou (Mxyzptlk) : agreed. I noted that part for example:

The scale of the Chinese cyber threat is unparalleled. They've got a bigger hacking program than every other major nation combined

In Europe we can read a variant of that:

"The scale of the US cyber military threat is unparalleled. They've got a bigger hacking program military budget than every other major nation combined "

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Threat to who, sinopuppet?

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

The US tapped our chancellor phone. And did such a sloppy job that it got noticed.

You strike out "cyber" when it comes to the US, while I would rather underline it, so it would read "cyber and military threat".

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Zolko, the only thing not right with your comment is that the hackers "are" attacking, the US military is "sleeping" under the command of sleepy joe. so, good luck.

3. IglooDame

Wray said the Bureau blocks over 15 million unauthorized connection attempts each week.

I get that the FBI probably is legitimately under-funded given the threat, but c'mon, bots banging away on your firewalls' telnet and SSH ports testing common usernames isn't really justification for more new hires, it's just the price of being a relatively high-profile target for script kiddies. Hell, your honeypots should be happy for the attention.

1. very angry man

Bots no, that's just good old American Joe's trying to report a crime and getting the same response they get from the other government department's, blocked!

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yeah, "we see a lot of SYNs" is a mighty feeble excuse for asking for more funding. Who doesn't?

Similarly, the New Yellow Peril argument isn't terribly persuasive. Oh, there are allegedly 50x as many Chinese "hackers" as there are FBI "cyber agents"? What, does China have a large educated population or something? Who would have thought?

We'll just have to make the FBI agents pair-type, NCIS-style. Or, perhaps, come up with reasonable requests for resources backed by real arguments, not the pulling of hair and rending of garments. And maybe lay off the War On Privacy while they're at it.

4. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Move some of the budget

From spying on the rest of the world. And don't anyone dare try to tell me that American spying is good.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Re: Move some of the budget

Different departments though, aren't they!

Can't use money for the NSA for the FBI, unless someone at the top shifts it over.

And to be fair, the FBI guy is right about China stealing secured stuff, secrets, and even sending (well funded) PhD candidates out into the world.

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

-> And to be fair, the FBI guy is right about China stealing secured stuff, secrets, and even sending (well funded) PhD candidates out into the world.

As does the USA. The world's greatest thief calls out somebody doing the same thing.

2. Cav Bronze badge

"And don't anyone dare try to tell me that American spying is good"

Why? It simply is. These comment threads are infested with the ignorant, the stupid and propaganda agents of the CCP.

The free West is under threat from regimes that exert iron grips on their populations. The rebellious teens (either physically or mentally) of the West have absolutely zero comprehension of what a truly authoritarian regime looks like. The intelligence services of the West have no where near the power of those of the near and far East. If they did then you simply wouldn't be commenting here. Criticism of the authorities would be removed, you'd be jailed and "re-educated".

Only fools believe that there is any comparison between the regimes of the east and those of the west. Yes, our countries spy on others, even allies, to protect our interests. No, you are not oppressed or subject to control and surveilance to anywhere near the degree that the populations of countries such as China or Russia are.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad rep

The FBI has a terrible reputation in the US, Election fraud, protecting pedophiles. I fully expect most of the people in the FBI are hard working patriots, but the ones that arn't drag the entire org to its lowest behavior. FBI needs to be disbanded and replaced with something less,,,,,,, criminal. As if that could happen,,,,,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bad rep

Election fraud? A few dozen Republicans get caught for that every election, and now you want to disband them! Tell me you're a hypocrite some more, man.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Election fraud, dam right. Anyone that commits it should be exposed and punished, no matter party affiliation or not. FBI has a strong history of an abusive power, and I've always called them out - so you calling me a hypocrite is the same as calling me a cup of tea, doesn't make it so.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You think Epstein was innocent?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And COINTELPRO never happened, apparently. Trust your G-man implicitly!

Like any other large, bureaucratic institution, the FBI is made up of people, with widely varying beliefs, ethics, and practices. Like any organization tasked with policing or surveillance, it is faced with myriad temptations to expand its power and violate whatever constraints are placed on it; and like any such organization, it has been known to yield to that temptation. Facile generalizations about its beneficence or mendacity don't hold up to any scrutiny. That doesn't mean there isn't quite a lot of room for improvement; neither does it mean that simply getting rid of the thing, and either replacing it wholesale or not replacing it at all, would result in a better world.

Complicated problems rarely have simple solutions.

6. martinusher Silver badge

They're suppposed to be a crime fighting agency

This kind of waffle undermines the credibility of the entire agency.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they want more IT professionals in their employment

Then maybe stop discounting all of the ones that smoke marijuana. Which is a lot of them.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: If they want more IT professionals in their employment

Yes. While I don't partake myself,1 the enormous wastefulness and injustice of the Federal government's War on Drugs, and particularly against marijuana, has cost the US tremendously. It's a patently failed policy that needs to be terminated completely.

1I worry it will interfere with my being a sanctimonious know-it-all.

8. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
    Black Helicopters

Section 702 == Death (in some countries)

"Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which allows the FBI to conduct warrantless surveillance"

Be careful of the agents being used abroad. In some countries, such colaboration, by law, are punished with DEATH. No kidding.

9. OhForF' Silver badge

FISA compliance

the Bureau is taking significant steps to ensure it complies with regulations governing the use of Section 702

Interesting choice of words - it seems to imply the FBI is aware it is not even compliant with the regulations of FISA (which gives them powers that many think they should not have).

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

China

The more competent version of what Russia tried to be.

11. Julz

Why

Is it I'm reminded of the cold war missile gap. Answers on the back of a government founding application please.

12. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

How do they know its 50 and not 49 to 1 ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like