back to article NASA tweaks Voyager 2's power supply to avoid another sensor shutdown

NASA boffins seeking a way to postpone instrument shutdowns on the venerable Voyager spacecrafts have worked out a solution they say will get another three years of power to Voyager 2's five remaining scientific tools. The trick involves repurposing Voyager 2's onboard voltage regulator, NASA said. That device is designed to …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Pint

This is proper engineering.

For all those involved, both those long gone and still those operating the craft. Some craft beer =>

1. UCAP Silver badge

Agreed. These are Real Engineers, not quiche eaters.

1. Joe W Silver badge
        Pint

Real men eat onion, leek and egg pie...

1. IglooDame

Real men eat onion, leek and egg pie...

Blargh. Glad I'm not one of those, then.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"Real men eat onion, leek and egg pie..."

Is that what that is next to my bit of lamb and mash?

2. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

There will be no major leaflet campaigns for these engineers

(Red Dwarf ref for those who are currently scratching their heads)

1. wolfetone Silver badge

It's 2030, and the final transmission from Voyager 2?

"GESPATCHO SOUUUUUUUUP"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Smmmeeeg heeeaaaad!

3. NoneSuch Silver badge

I Nominate Boris...

...to head to space immediately to swapout the power core on Voyager.

Sure, he'll be gone a few hundred years, but think of the view Boris. Just think of the view.

2. anothercynic Silver badge
      Pint

Truth. I am always heartened and amazed every time there's yet more Voyager news. "Oh, we discovered this" and "well, we shuffled this around and that helps us carry on for another 3 years" just prove that well-engineered stuff that is not necessarily 2nm sized electronics still makes things tick and teaches us new things about our solar system and beyond every year.

Kudos JPL, kudos NASA.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"just prove that well-engineered stuff that is not necessarily 2nm sized electronics still makes things tick and teaches us new things about our solar system and beyond every year.

"

Most things that are destined to last aren't built on bleeding edge tech. The Voyager satellites were knocked up rather quickly once the chance alignment that gave them a grand tour of the planets was worked out. There wasn't time for new science, just solid engineering to make it to the launch pad on time.

1. anothercynic Silver badge

I know... hence my saying. :-)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Yes, as we know from all the best SF shows, the answer is always "re-route the power to the sensors" or, "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow"

3. RegGuy1 Silver badge
      Pint

I thought craft beer didn't have a head. No matter, let's get these engineers pissed. ==>

2. chuckufarley Silver badge
    Headmaster

I bet some smartass...

...PFY will rename it BeFORTRAN shortly before I die, just so I can have a stroke while reading about it.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
      Joke

Re: I bet some smartass...

nope, it will be iFortran

or, god forbid FortranAI

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

I remember when it was THREETRAN.

1. ian 22

When I were a PFY we used pebbles for memory. Cold pebbles…. Cycle times were measured in minutes.

3. IglooDame
    Pint

Can you imagine getting hired on the Voyager team as a PFY and figuring you'll have a few good years of it to start your career, then carrying on with it till retirement, then reading a decade or so later how the younglings are still eeking out another year or three out of the probes?

I can't either. Good show all around.

4. FatGerman
    Pint

Remote working at its best

Considering how nervous I get kicking something new off in real time through a VPN to my office 20 miles away, I salute the people responsible fir this, it's just incredible.

5. spold Silver badge

These people have been really "stellar" at making an old Reliant Robin perform like a Ferrari.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"These people have been really "stellar" at making an old Reliant Robin perform like a Ferrari."

Well, compared to probes today, the Voyagers are Robin Reliants. They've also be going as Reliants for better than 30 years without being put on the hoist which is amazing for anything manufactured. How many things built today will have that sort of longevity?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!!!!!!. You mean Reliant Robins!!!

2. Atomic Duetto

Yeah, nah

Methinks your reliable performance measure (Ferrari circa 1977) is somewhat at odds with err,…. the actual reliability of a ‘77 Ferrari or any other Italian or (insert here) manufacturer. I refer you to YouTube and “Influenzo” by Number27

That said, I expect if Voyager had been styled (as opposed to engineered and constructed) by Pininfarina, Bertone, Gandini or Giugiaro.. we’d have likely been contacted and visited by the “owner of the hippest place in the universe”* by now looking to argue about matching numbers, original parts, patina (it’s only original once!) and fitted luggage (and an Insta opportunity).

* “Vell, Zaphod's just zis guy, you know?"

6. Ashto5

Amazing

Whenever I read about the team behind Voyager I & II I am just blown away with the amazing ness of those people.

Makes me look at my new shiny website and go “ what a pile of shit” will it make the end of the year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazing

When people ask about "this or that" sh1t website, I just point out that there is a hierarchy of software production:

Website : something produced at Kindergarten level from borrowed script building blocks and coloured crayons

Customisation of commercial software : High school level (see all the stories about SAP/Oracle/etc. configurations over budget and not achieving their goals)

Commercial software : Degree level - if the company if relying on the product then they will have at least specified the features and tested them

Certifiable software : Doctorate level - properly designed and tested by people who know why and whose ar5es are on the line if it doesn't work

Cost increases hugely as you go up the scale, but then so does reliability. Do you want your car brakes software written by a script-kiddie?

Anon as I have software and hardware, that I was in charge of, going into space on a regular basis, and with multiple operators, some of whom are more sensitive than others.

Expecting plenty of down votes by web site 'designers' and up votes from 'engineers'.

1. My-Handle

Upvote from me, as a man whose main experience is in e-com website development. Recently made the jump from that to your "Commercial Software" category, and boy was that a learning curve.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

and Free software is toward the top (I mean things like the Linux kernel, GNU Compiler Collection, BSD and Clang, not some random first-time side project that doesn't compile obviously...)

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Expecting plenty of down votes by web site 'designers' and up votes from 'engineers'."

Don't worry, the coloured pencil and crayon department aren't technical enough to read El Reg. At time of posting, it's overwhelming clearly that it's mainly technical people reading here :-)

4. tiggity Silver badge

"Website : something produced at Kindergarten level from borrowed script building blocks and coloured crayons"

Plus the borrowed scripts normally should be nuked from orbit.

As someone who for safety reasons visits a "new" website to me with scripting disabled, I get irritated by the number of sites that cannot even manage to present me with a single line of text with JS disabled.

A site should render the basics with JS disabled (depending on what the site does there may be an occasional argument for a small bit of JS for some functionality, but a visitor should be able to get a site basic functionality without JS enabled).

Each time I find such a site as a new visitor its the usual decision.

Do I experiment a while and see what JS to enable that gives basic functionality for the site and then set up the script "allowlist" for that site or do I just go elsewhere & ensure I never visit that site again if alternatives exist elsewhere.

7. MysteryGuy

And I thought my Model M keyboard was long lived...

And I thought my IBM Model M keyboards longevity (still working today) was impressive. :-)

In comparison the Voyagers have worked even longer. And in space...

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

Re: And I thought my Model M keyboard was long lived...

No spilled coffee in space....

8. Youngone Silver badge

Stupid Humans

Why don't they just go and get it? It hasn't even reached the nearest star yet. They could upgrade it then send it out again.

Sometimes the simplest solution really is the best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stupid Humans

"Why don't they just go and get it?"

Well, you'd need a mighty big rocket, with plenty of fuel onboard just so it catches up with the Voyagers which are travelling at around 40,000 mph (960,000 miles per day).

And given that both Voyages are about 115 AU (about 10.7 billion miles) away from the sun (or about 114 AU away from the Earth at it's closest to the craft), a spacecraft to go and collect them would need to be going very, very fast just to catch up.

Such an imaginary craft would need to have a velocity of at least 440,000 mph (say 11 miilions miles per day) and it would then take at least 3 or 4 years (about 1100 days?) just to catch up.

And once it got to either Voyager, it would need some extreme braking to slow it down, then capture the craft, secure it and then turn around and return to Earth at a very high velocity, as otherwise, the engineers with the knowledge to fix/upgrade Voyager would be long dead.

Adding the time to slow down, turn around and then accelerate back up to 400,000 mph for the return journey and the entire mission might take 10-15 years? And for what? To retrieve an old 1970s era metal craft that has been in space (by then for 50+ years) and is so irradiated with cosmic radiation, it might be untouchable (by humans) for a hundred years.

Much better to leave both craft as they are, until the DSN loses contact with them around 2036. But in the meantime, you could send out Voyagers 3, 4 5 and 6 in other directions, just so that Kirk can find V'Ger in the future?

https://web.archive.org/web/20170919144222/https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...long after the probes have exhausted their radioactive batteries and Earth has hopefully moved beyond operating legacy Fortran code."

In 300 years, when Voyagers reach the Oort Cloud, I don't know what amazing discoveries our scientists will be making, but I'm betting that some of their data will be crunched by Fortran (and their pay will be processed by COBOL).

1. Franco

Nah, payroll is still going to be handled by the "database", an Office '97 format Excel spreadsheet.

2. Snake Silver badge

You forgot

In 300 years Voyager [6] will fall into a black hole, emerge at the opposite end of the galaxy, be found, and sent back. Only to achieve sentience whilst doing so.

Didn't you get the memo??

10. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Hmmm....

With a 22+ hour one-way delay in signalling, I'm thinking our definitions of "emergency" might be a LITTLE bit different...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm....

Sounds pretty much on a par with current emergency ambulance response times.

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Alert

Head office called

They want us to try what?

12. Alistair
    Windows

Voyagers I and II

Now, let me tell you, *thats* working remotely.

/old fogey voice

13. RockBurner

"... the two craft still have around 300 years of traveling around a million miles a day to make it to the edge of the Oort cloud, the outermost limit of the Sun's gravitational influence.

The icy, comet-like objects that reside in the Oort Cloud will be the Voyagers' last impression of the Solar System as they coast for 30,000 years to reach its far side,....."

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

14. Mishak Silver badge

"legacy Fortran code"

People are still writing new stuff using it, but I really hope it will be gone by then...

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: "legacy Fortran code"

People are still writing new stuff using it, but I really hope it will be gone by then...

No chance whatsoever, Fortran and COBOL are eternal by now, the installed base is too large to be replaced.

2. cman52

Re: "legacy Fortran code"

I taught myself fortran using a found book, a teletype terminal to a mainframe. It started me on a career in programming. I actually was quite fond of the language though I eventually went on to COBOL, C and others.

15. Red Ted
    Happy

Deep Space Network

The DSN Now page indicates that Goldstone is currently receiving 160bit/s data from Voyager 1 at an RSSI of -160dBm.

Given that the transmitter on Voyager is 23W (+43.6dBm) this means that they have over 203dB of link budget!

1. trindflo Bronze badge

203dB of link budget

A link budget (the total anticipated loss) of only 203dB getting to Earth is pretty amazing. An estimation rule for signals in free space is that use lose 22 dB in the first wavelength of distance and an additional 6dB for each subsequent doubling of the distance: https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/free-space-path-loss

The Voyager transmitters work much better than free space loss because of a special antenna that focuses the X-band microwave signal directly back to earth:

https://www.wondriumdaily.com/voyager-2-sends-messages-from-interstellar-space-with-minimal-signal/

In the 1980s the receivers were enhanced with FFT analysis to improve the signal to noise ratio so that anything can be understood at -160dBm.

Additionally the distance means that in the 22+ hours it takes to receive a signal from Voyager the Earth will complete nearly a full rotation. The communication needs to shift between the 3 stations of the deep space network, and because the link is fragile, the shift between stations needs to be phase continuous.

The more you know about the technology involved the more amazing it becomes.

16. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Go

Bring the Jubilee

If they can keep Voyager 2 working until August 2027 it'll have worked for 50 years. That would be amazing.

17. johnB

Great Stuff

Just brilliant.

Hats off to the guys at NASA.

18. Franco

Truly incredible, 46 years and bods at NASA are still finding new ways to keep them running.

For comparison, my company sent out a 6 month notice email recently for users with Samsung A40 phones that they're going EoL cos they're too old and no longer supported in September.

19. AndrueC Silver badge
    Happy

No one else has asked so I will: How do they do this stuff? Did they actually build switches into the electronics so that they could rewire them like breadboard?

Seems like it would be difficult enough to design a space probe let alone one whose wiring could be reconfigured.

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. spireite Silver badge

Buying more time for Spock to find it...

Seriously, this is impressive stuff.

What it does do is shine a disdainful light on the current crop of NASA/Boeing engineers who can't hold a candle to the guys that dealt with this stuff back in the early 70s.

1. trindflo Bronze badge

Re: Buying more time for Spock to find it...

It is amazing what was accomplished with Viking communications (the baseline technologies that Voyager launched with). Some of the tricks used at the time, like Maser amplifiers, are exotic. However, what we are seeing now could not have happened without the continuous reworking of the technologies in the receiving stations. My hat is off to all of them past and present.

22. MarkTheMorose

I hate to be 'that' bloke, but...

"NASA extended the Voyager 1 and 2 missions to travel to Neptune and Uranus..."

No, only Voyager 2 made the trip to the ice giants; Voyager 1's observation of Titan ruled-out the possibility of further planetary encounters. From Wikipedia: "Because observations of Titan were considered vital, the trajectory chosen for Voyager 1 was designed around the optimum Titan flyby, which took it below the south pole of Saturn and out of the plane of the ecliptic, ending its planetary science mission.["

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like