back to article Pentagon shoots down UFO rumors but says 650 cases are still pending

The Pentagon's recently-established All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) - set up to investigate unidentified flying objects - has not found any evidence of aliens in its analysis, its director has said. At hearings (one open and one closed) held by the Senate Armed Services Committee's Subcommittee on Emerging Threats …

1. spold Silver badge
    Alien

>>>"All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office"

Being "All-domain" I expect they also have investigated fairies at the bottom of the garden, pink elephants, and things that go bump in the night.

Money well spent.

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Perhaps the money came from the same funding pot as their p-teleportation study:

https://sgp.fas.org/eprint/teleport.pdf

2. Little Mouse
      Black Helicopters

Being "All-domain" I expect they investigate anything you could file under "X"

What's the wage bill for a couple of downtrodden public servants with no hope of promotion, and a single dingey office?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What's the wage bill for a couple of downtrodden public servants with no hope of promotion, and a single dingey office?"

Sounds like the workplace for the cast of The IT Crowd?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2wQhs4YVvU&list=PL0PTdhK8s-5RpYr_-f-rjJpqMfyVmdjq7[/url]

2. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Trollface

Ha! They just say that because they are alien invaders themselves! We know who you are truly, you lizard people!

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge

not aliens, but monkeys wearing top hats?

3. xyz Silver badge

In other words: It's not aliens.

But one day it will.

4. cookieMonster Silver badge
    FAIL

Hmmm

“ AARO was launched last year with the goal of working together with different defense and intelligence agencies to detect and identify objects operating in US airspace near sensitive areas, like government or military bases, that could threaten national security.”

So, balloon spotters then??

1. IglooDame

Re: Hmmm

Plus swamp gas. Don't forget the swamp gas.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Of course there are UFOs. If I see a flying object I can't identify it's unidentifiable, at least by me. That's just plain English and common sense.

If you say something's unidentifiable to you and then proceed to hang an evidence-free identification onto it then you're just talking nonsense.

1. jake Silver badge

That's why they changed the name.

That is part of the reason that they aren't Unidentified Flying Objects anymore, they are now called Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena.

More babble, less nonsense. They no longer assume "flying", nor "object".

The new term probably gives somebody, somewhere, the warm fuzzys. How cute.

Other than that, not much has changed since Project Blue Book.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: That's why they changed the name.

Same logic applies.

6. breakfast Silver badge
    Holmes

UAPs sounds right

The evidence for unidentified aerial phenomenae is pretty good, but jumping to "got to be aliens" is a weird explanation. I expect we'll find some weird physical phenomenon that explains many of them - quite possibly some kind of temperature or air-current inversion that creates mirage/reflections of existing aircraft in weird locations.

Even so, I quite like a world with a few mysteries in it, though I guess we've still got the question of why gaffa tape sparks in the dark.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: UAPs sounds right

"I guess we've still got the question of why gaffa tape sparks in the dark."

Triboluminescence.

7. Jedit Silver badge
    Devil

Choose your titles with care

Pentagon shoots down UFO rumours - boring.

"Pentagon shoots down UFO" rumours - now that's news!

8. nautica Silver badge
    Headmaster

Most people get all their exercise by jumping to conclusions.

As Carl Sagan once said--strictly paraphrased--

"If you see something/anything [flying] in the sky which you don't recognize and can't identify, it is, without any question whatever, a UFO--an unidentified flying object."

9. bertkaye

I'm just a tourist

Look, I only came to Earth to vacation in the Himalayas and chat with yetis. Just leave me alone, Earth monkeys.

Also, due to my highly advanced alien taste buds, I detected dog meat in your McDonald's burgers. Eeeuu.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm just a tourist

Don’t worry we have this book “To serve aliens”, don’t bother translating it ];)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like