back to article Meta's Zuckerberg paid $27M in 'other' compensation for 2022

Meta boss and human person Mark Zuckerberg was paid a nominal $1 in salary again in 2022 and took home no bonuses, yet he cost the company tens of millions in compensation to cover expenses including security and private jet travel. The founder and CEO at the advertising-cum-social-media biz, which includes Facebook, Instagram …

1. Roopee Bronze badge
    Trollface

Oh well...

...I guess that’s my assassination attempt scuppered then!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Oh well...

The trick is to engage Zuck in conversation, then Kirk him by describing a logical paradox and letting him self-destruct on his own. Bodyguards won't help with that.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Devil

Will he ever move on...

Really? Will he? Would it make any difference there at Meta?

We really need a replacement icon for Paris and whuh?

3. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Travel costs

We've all had a couple of years or so where business travel simply wasn't a thing, and we learned to find ways around that obstacle. After that, it surprises me how many companies - especially those in the tech sector - have fallen back to the old time and cost burdensome ways....and doesn't Meta have some sort of online virtual meeting/collaboration space of its own creation anyway?

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

that zucks

One might legitimately cry foul at the 9100% mark up, but there are many other behemoth corporations that fork out such obscene sums to their board members and executives. Interestingly, 'executive' originally meant folks that carried out the instructions and orders of others. Now it means folks that tell others what to do. Grade inflation?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: that zucks

> executive' originally meant folks that carried out the instructions and orders of others.

They are under instruction… from unqualified city analysts and “investors”..

5. Groo The Wanderer Silver badge

"Year of Efficiency?" Does that mean they're going to come to their senses and abandon their 3D cat video plans (which is all the "Metaverse" would be used for in reality in exchange for you buying $1000+ 3D glasses)?

6. Howard Sway Silver badge

His increased personal security detail accounted for $14.82 million

Seems a bit excessive for a guy who only earns a dollar a year. He'll have nothing worth nicking if he's being paid as little as that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: His increased personal security detail accounted for $14.82 million

Yeah they're afraid he'll wind up being another old wino rolled by drunken lager louts on the lash.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Why do we indulge corporations by allowing them to get away with that weasel word "compensation"? They mean "pay".

1. Patrick R
      Meh

Re: Why do we indulge...

Because the people deciding on the matter benefit from the same scheme.

8. Doogie Howser MD

Can he be paid in Metaverse tokens and not real cash? Paying yourself a $1 salary and trousering cash from other sources is a canny way to avoid taxes if you can do it.

9. DS999 Silver badge

Amazing how afraid

He is for someone who thinks privacy is an outdated concept.

Are there really $14 million worth of threats out there against him? I'll bet Tim Cook, Satya Nadella and Sundar Pichai aren't spending anywhere near that much on security combined, maybe he should take a look in the mirror and figure out why they are hated so much less than he is.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Amazing how afraid

It'll be cheaper for him to check himself into a Supermax.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: t'll be cheaper

only if they throw away the key and cut off all internet access.

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"I'll bet Tim Cook, Satya Nadella and Sundar Pichai aren't spending anywhere near that much on security combined"

That lot all have cooties that protect them.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

According to https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-bodyguards-security-costs-ceos-mark-zuckerberg-tim-cook-2023-3#tim-cook-1358515-in-2022-7

Tim Cook: $1,358,515

Marc Benioff: $1,446,977

Larry Ellison: $1,564,394 (and we know how much he's hated)

Jeff Bezos: $1,600,000 in 2021

Sundar Pichai: $4,309,583 in 2021

No info for Satya Nadella

According to an Insider investigation into Facebook's security operations, Zuckerberg has 24/7 protection, and one of his Bay Area homes has a panic room.

The investigation also found that there's a rumor among Facebook employees of a "panic chute" at the Facebook office in case Zuckerberg and his team need to evacuate.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Panic rooms and the like are way more common that you might expect. When I has a student I worked with guys who installed them and other pretty exotic security stuff. There was no shortage of work. That was around the time the Red Brigade was clarifying German business people's thoughts about social injustice.

1. DS999 Silver badge

A fortified room can serve a dual purpose, in the event of a tornado, earthquake, hurricane etc. having one place you will be safe even if the rest of house is destroyed. It is far more likely to be used in that role than the "hide from international thieves/kidnappers" like they are shown in the movies.

A lot of slightly above media price homes where I live in the US midwest are built with a tornado shelter, which is basically one 50-100 sq ft room in a corner of the basement that's got a reinforced concrete ceiling along with all four walls and a steel door. Maybe people selling spec homes around here should give the inside walls an upscale finish to make it more homey than bare concrete and throw in a video screen to monitor the security system and they can call it a "panic room" and add $100K to the selling price!

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The investigation also found that there's a rumor among Facebook employees of a "panic chute" at the Facebook office in case Zuckerberg and his team need to evacuate.

Believable. I think of all of Facebook as a "panic chute" into which Zuckerberg and his team continuously evacuate.

10. Eponymous Bastard
    Coat

Philanthropy?

Well let's hope the little cunt dies happy / soon.

He could do so much good with that kind of wonga - maybe he does in a Smashie & Nicey kinda way mate . . .

Then again look at Gates. He had the potential to be a great philanthropist but all he does is buy / encourage / promote misinformed climate change mumbo jumbo clickbait opportunities with the main stream media cunts who will happily fellate the fuck out of him in exchange for his stinking $$$. No better than that prick Musk firing fucking rockets all over the shop, digging fucking tunnels, smoking dope; dickhead.

I'll get my coat because it's fucking cold again here on the peninsula, but that's just the weather innit.

11. MachDiamond Silver badge

The $1 myth

The beauty of being an exec in a mammoth company is the amount of expenses that can be absorbed by the corporation and swept under a rug. That can include housing, wardrobes, food, insurance, travel and all sorts of other things. Many companies have cars leased for executive use but aren't required to disclose the details so if one or ten are allocated to the head boss and kept in various locations, who's to know? Their kids might be tutored privately with the cost winding up under an account for employee training and education reimbursement. Nanny's and domestic staff will be shown as building maintenance staff on payroll roles. With a major portion of luxury living expenses covered, an executive can advertise a $1 salary. In some places it has to be more as everybody must be paid at least minimum wage. The real money will come from generous stock options, bonuses and so forth. A grand golden parachute is also set up for those once they've done their time.

12. Kev99 Silver badge

And he only paid 0.0367866% into social security.

13. steviebuk Silver badge

Private

Jets. I still don't know why people use them. They seem to crash more than commercial airlines. At least he could afford 1st class every time, I'm wondering if it would also be cheaper.

But the other point is. This is the tit that wants us to all live in the META verse and all have virtual meetings. So why doesn't he do that instead of pissing plane fuel all over the sky with flying.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Private

"Jets. I still don't know why people use them. They seem to crash more than commercial airlines. At least he could afford 1st class every time, I'm wondering if it would also be cheaper."

They don't crash so much more that the real chance of dying in a crash is that much greater. Even in first class, the accommodation isn't on the same level as flying private. With a smaller private jet, more airports are available so it's easier and faster to get from and to. The TSA isn't tossing the luggage of people on private jets and having a nail file isn't going to lead to being tackled by 'security' with a serious dose of public shaming thrown in. The lounges are often on the opposite side of passenger airports and those lounges are for people that aren't just allowed to have their limo bring them directly to the plane. People that subscribe to a shared service have to go through the FBO's office, but some of those are really nice with catered meals and fresh cookies hot from the oven. They'll even offer private rooms with internet and someplace to catch a nap if the plane isn't there and ready.

First Class on a public airline is much cheaper. Elon flies on the biggest of the Gulfstreams and a cost in the neighborhood of $5,000/hour might even be on the low side all in. It's been some time since I've been told what the going cost is. I know fuel has shot up and many rich execs will insist on two pilots and an attendant.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Re: Private

Didn't think of the small plane benefit. Good point. Also, yeah not going through TSA is a massive benefit.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose that in the US, he doesn't have to pay income tax on the value of those company benefits?

He sure would need to around here, the point being precisely to avoid that kind of abuse...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like