back to article Facebook puts a price on privacy for US users and it's not enough to buy a cup of coffee

In 2018, Facebook was sued multiple times for allegedly selling access to account holder data, contrary to privacy commitments. The complaints arose from accusations that Facebook allowed political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica to access the personal data of 87 million Facebook users, information the firm allegedly used …

1. NeilPost

99c coffee

You can get a coffee for 99c from Stewart’s/Cumberland Farms/Wawa.

Not great coffee, but it will be fully funded by this settlement. Not everyone coughs up $5 for a Grande Skinny Mocha Oat Latte at Starbucks.

Sounds like the only people getting a decent payout from this class action are the lawyers.

1. RockBurner

Re: 99c coffee

"Sounds like the only people getting a decent payout from this class action are the lawyers"

That's what the US legal process is for..... putting money in lawyer's pockets, it doesn't seem to server any other useful purpose.

2. Marki Mark
    Facepalm

Pah

Sounds like the only people getting a decent payout from this class action are the lawyer

Has there ever been a class action where that wasn't the case?

1. Mark 85

Re: Pah

Sounds like the only people getting a decent payout from this class action are the lawyer

Has there ever been a class action where that wasn't the case?

Maybe it time to take the advice of Shakespear about what to do with lawyers?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Pah

Taking young William's advice about the lawyers would be a start, but America's problems go much deeper than that.

This is another example of a vast corporation breaking the law and being mildly inconvenienced by a fine that is a tiny percentage of their annual profit and goes no way to providing a remedy to the people who were hurt by the lawbreaking.

Which is to say the system works as designed.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

"minus attorneys' fees of no more than 25 per cent"

25% of 725 million is 181 million.

$181 million is way too much for someone who has not been impacted by the issue that they are now involved in.

It is wrong. Just wrong.

An attorney is paid by the hour. If he's a good attorney, he gets to bill an outrageous sum, but he shouldn't get his fingers in a pie he doesn't deserve.

And if he was impacted by the issue, then he gets to submit a claim, just like everyone else.

It is time to put a stop to this nonsense.

1. CommonBloke

Re: "minus attorneys' fees of no more than 25 per cent"

If you think that's awful, imagine a system where the judges can also gain bonuses depending on cases' settled values.

*cough*brazil*cough

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AFAICT, that's exactly what you want: the attorneys' bill is included in the payment. Not a single attorney, but a whole team, billing hundreds an hour per team member, for several years. Lots of money, yes, that's already been paid. Even attorneys can't spend years without food nor drink.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Consider - the US Congress is primarily made up of law school graduates. Not all, but quite a few. They are not going to pass laws affecting their private practices.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

I wonder if Feckbook got more money from the deals "with Cambridge Analytica but also [giving access to] tens of thousands of third-apps to download user content and information, and of selling access to customer data to business partners like Airbnb, Lyft, Netflix, and Yandex" than it has to pay now. In that case violating the law was a good deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course it has, that's where the expression "the cost of doing business" comes from. Given the volume discount mass offenders get when it comes to privacy, I'm not surprised nothing really changes.

For example: Equifax. They were fined $700M for exposing the details of 150M people, which works out at a charge of less than $5 per victim, whereas your average mon and pop shop will get fined hundreds for a single accident. Until such major offenders face getting fined into oblivion for getting it wrong instead of getting that volume discount, absolutely nothing will change. I would propose at a minimum by law cancelling the right to privacy for the board members so they get to enjoy the same sort of problems as their victims, and this volume discount rubbish should go because the impact on victims does not lessen because of the quantity of people affected.

I am waiting for the day when companies like Equifax finally work out that the fines are so much lower than the gains from selling personal details on the black market that they might as well go ahead. According to reports I read a while back, on the black market such a verified set of personal details as they can offer is easily worth $75 per person, so on that volume and that level of fines they would still have been a shade over a billion USD up in profit. Given how keen these companies are on money and with what they get away with I cannot see them resist that much lucre for long.

Laws only matter if they come with real consequences, and even then only if those consequences get personal for the decision makers instead of just becoming a bookkeeping exercise. I give it at most a few years before someone will do this.

Yes, I am paranoid. Logically, I have to be.

5. IglooDame

Blech

If we apply for our tiny share of the fine, is it a "Fool me once, shame on you..." situation? Would I be giving them personal data (the form requires a snailmail address) that may then get used/sold, despite the "The personal information you provide below will be processed only for purposes of effectuating the Settlement" disclaimer?

1. Mark 85

Re: Blech

I'm waiting to hear the large sucking sound of more data be slurped up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can-Can

The lawyers involved can also claim up to a quarter of that $725 million...

But they probably won't need to.

7. bertkaye

*I* plan to buy a house with my settlement amount.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do Hasbro sell single 'Monopoly' houses now !!!

:)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like