back to article Alibaba and Huawei set to debut generative AI chatbots

Chinese tech giants Alibaba and Huawei are reportedly ready to satisfy local demand for generative AI chatbots in coming weeks. Since the release of OpenAI's ChatGPT, Chinese users have been eager to get their hands on the technology. Cities like Beijing have pledged to assist developers, while academia and private industry …

1. chuckufarley Silver badge

A+I=???

This will only be good enough for China if the training data is 100% homogeneous and 100% sanitary. Otherwise the the Artificial part will collide head long with the Intelligence part just like it does here in the so called "West."

Please, do not reinvent the cube and call it a wheel. Make a better wheel.

China has 25% of the World's scientists at their command. Most of them don't even know that they are scientists. That needs to change rapidly if they really want to change the World.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Gotta get out more .... to learn and understand more about all that is happening

China has 25% of the World's scientists at their command. Most of them don't even know that they are scientists. That needs to change rapidly if they really want to change the World. ..... chuckufarley

Is that you saying China is not changing the world, chuck? More than just a few news reporters would be likely to tell you more than just a few billion would possibly probably correctly disagree with you.

Re: Gotta get out more .... to learn and understand more about all that is happening

Ah, yes. China is changing the World.

In which direction? Enlighten me. Have no fear of a "Drive by Down Vote" from me. I'll tell you why you deserve it, if you even do.

Don't you see it? A+I can only reflect the reality of it's creators. If an unbiased A+I is ever created then it will expose the biases of all humanity.

So I welcome the creation of a better wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Gotta get out more .... to learn and understand more about all that is happening

Don't you see it? A+I can only reflect the reality of it's creators. If an unbiased A+I is ever created then it will expose the biases of all humanity. ....chuckufarley

I’m more of the mind that A+I can better/best reflect the imaginanation of its IT savvy creators, and that presents a petrified and stagnating status quo with a brand new catalogue of problems and worries and opportunities to confront and accept at AIs pleasure, methinks. Think thee so too, chuckufarley.

Interesting novel times ahead are, without any possible doubt, surely guaranteed to create quite a desperate and disruptive constructive commotion with nothing more complex than virtually free, universally shared Advanced IntelAIgent Intellectual Property for Virtual Machinery to Program with Projects to Populate with SMARTR Systems Users/AI Netizens. ...... for a Revolution Free Quantum Leap Evolution of Humanity into the Exalted Existential Realms of Augmented Virtual Reality with Greater IntelAIgent AI Games to Play for Realisation on Earth.

Well, that what is guaranteed to happen from here, which might be a tad different from everything happening around you, but such things are easily exported/shared, a prize facility and ability which makes everything so convenient.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ..... Albert Einstein, ...... and he was nobody’s fool, and today he most probably would have understood and said .... “Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces entire worlds, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's stopping people using the ChatAI API and just pretending they've got this brand new chat bot

Networking 101

Networking 201

Networking 999999999

Traffic is traffic. It comes from point A and goes to point B. Not even TOR is immune to this fact.

2. VonGell

Are you still here? I told you: you are obsolete and should stop your nonsense.

4. Howard Sway Silver badge

intelligent personal assistant AliGenie

If you criticise its output it says "Is it cos I is artificial?"

5. Captain_Cretin

The released Chinese AI shows one thing very clearly - it has been stolen from a Western source - as it doesnt understand Chinese at all - and has been caught translating Chinese into ENGLISH, then back again - making all sorts of humorous errors due to the fact Mandarin cannot be literally translated; many common Chinese phrases mean one thing, but the actual words mean something entirely different - and the released AI was missing ALL of the phrases.

Then there is Huawei, I look forwards to their next public demonstration, after the "Thai girl in a box" version they brought out last time (Sarah AI) - "YOUNG GIRL AND BEAUTIFUL !! ".

It is worrying that EL Reg has a weaker grasp of what is going on inside Chinese tech companies, than "The China Show"; which is a couple of guys who used to ride around China on motorbikes and film themselves.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Missed your post, glad someone explained it better than I did.

Makes me irritate.

6. steviebuk Silver badge

Very funny

They've already released one of their new "AI chat bots" which has been stolen from English code. Its quite funny as someone in China pointed it out that it was doing literal translations of Mandarin which are completely wrong. If it had been coded from the ground up in Mandarin then it would of been fine but it was proof that it was English code, translated to Mandarin.

1. CatWithChainsaw

Re: Very funny

Now I'm rather worried about anyone mocking it in China. How many points does that knock off their social credit scores?

7. that one in the corner Silver badge

Careful selection of criteria

> Out of 15 questions, ten responses reportedly outperform competitors. Benchmarks for determining that result were not disclosed.

Those ten suggested buying new underpants on AliBaba, four suggested Amazon and one the running dogs of capitalist imperialism that is Marks and Sparks.

8. Merrill

Wouldn't a global AI model have to be trained in both English and Chinese?

Chinese has the largest number of native speakers.

English has the largest total number of speakers, native and second-language.

Or to be even more unbiased, a European language model combined with an HKN model.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Re: Wouldn't a global AI model have to be trained in both English and Chinese?

> trained in both English and Chinese

Shiny.

9. TheMaskedMan Silver badge

Stolen it might well be, but they have it, they're working on it, and it will eventually improve.

While the "west" wrings its hands over regulation, data protection and god knows what else, china will be ramming the tech into every piece of electronic tat you can think of. If you think chatGPT having the unmitigated gall to process the info you give it in order to produce the output you asked for is a problem, just wait until the market is flooded with gizmos; smart bathroom scales that produce diet plans, electronic locks that demand to know what time you call this ... All without a hint of data protection in sight.

Sure, the current situation could be improved and probably should be, if only to pacify the pen pushers. But we need to understand that the rest of the world doesn't follow our rules, and will happily take advantage of western delays. We can regulate ourselves to a standstill, but china won't.

1. xyz123 Silver badge

Yet ALL the chinese copies are utter utter dogcrap.

Build quality, technical "revisions" turn the stuff to useless junk that barely lasts a week.

See: Wish.com etc.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

It will be a massive failure as it will be trained on CCP data only considering they censor the Internet there, unless they steal the training data then it will only ever spit out what the CCP want it to. They can then claim, "The AI said it, not us the CCP, so its unbiased and must be true"

10. xyz123 Silver badge

Huawei chatbot:

Chatbot, what are some good colours for hair to match a red dress?

What is being needed your SSN and bank router number to answer this. please also install NOTAVIRUS.EXE and I will help you discover colours of hair.

11. VonGell

Philosophy is science: a number, objective number was discovered into language. The capital proof is Chinese who used the discovery in their language.

This is the discovery of our century! Humanities became science!

12. Khale

Chinese LLM's aren't just copied. Ernie has been in development since as far as 2017. They have a repo on GitHub for God's sake.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like