back to article When Google cost cutting goes molecular: Staples, sticky tape, and PC sweating

Google's beancounters are hunting down ways to satisfy corporate expense bill reductions, with many staff asked to sweat PC assets and some noting things like availability of staples and sticky tape becoming more limited. In an email to Googlers, Ruth Porat, the chief financial officer at the ad search and cloud biz, described …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Google will no longer provide staples and sticky tape at print stations in offices"

This begs the question : are staples and sticky tape a necessity ?

If so, then where will Google provide such necessities ?

Or is Google become a BYOS (Bring Your Own Staples) environment ?

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Alert

Re: "Google will no longer provide staples and sticky tape at print stations in offices"

BYOLP (Bring Your Own Loo Paper) - If ever the Google bean counters impose that, it would no doubt cause a stink

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: "Google will no longer provide staples and sticky tape at print stations in offices"

BYOLP (Bring Your Own Loo Paper)

Reputedly Twitter has already become that joke.

1. Efer Brick

Izal steal that one...

2. EvilGardenGnome

I'mma just gonna leave this here...

Milton's stapler

3. fidodogbreath

are staples and sticky tape a necessity ?

Sure, to attach Google Doc pages together or tape a Google Keep note to your monitor.

4. Mark 65

No staples and they only made $13bn profit in Q4. Hate to think what would happen if they weren't absolutely making bank.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Hate to think what would happen if they weren't absolutely making bank

Their major shareholders would only be able to afford one tropical island..

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Providing they buy enough string and sealing wax to keep the servers from falling apart it should be OK.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I suppose the objective is to keep the activist investors off their backs - and off the board.

But didn't the decline of HP start with cutting the daily doughnuts?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

To be honest, most of the reductions are understandable and much more reasonable than a lot of the shit that beancounters come up with in cost-cutting exercises that tend to cost more than they cut. By "reasonable", I mean: refresh rate and choice for notebooks and phones; catering and transport. The staples and sellotape thing sounds a bit odd as it will be peanuts in total. But I suspect this may be more about the provisioning of items that routinely go missing. Centralise distribution and you've reduced the need for someone to go round and replenish supplies. More important is probably a print-to-me system so that documents are only printed when you're at the printer. Better budgetting and fewer reams of stuff that go unclaimed.

Of course, most accountants will point out that anything that business expenses are nearly always offset against tax and so don't end up costing companies much. Of course, reducing office space and services will have a noticeable affect on the local economy.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Centralise distribution and you've reduced the need for someone to go round and replenish supplies."

It probably costs more in that it means a lot more individual trips to & from stores.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

One place I worked decided they were going to cut janitorial costs by having everyone empty their own trashcans into the big bin in the hallway. Just how much is an engineer's time cost versus that of office janitorial staff?

1. DS999 Silver badge

But how often does your trash can need emptying? Back when I last had my own desk (20 years ago!) I could probably have emptied it once a year since I was putting paper and aluminum cans in the recycle containers down the hall.

Having a janitor go around and empty one tissue or one candy wrapper per can per night on average seems like a bigger waste of time than making an engineer bring his trash can along with him to the bathroom to empty on the way once in a while.

1. Orv Silver badge

It takes me about two weeks to fill mine. Ever since COVID lockdowns the janitors only empty them on an erratic, maybe-once-per-quarter schedule, though.

2. original_rwg

Trash Cans?

You have trash cans? We don't have them any more. (I feel a "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch coming on...) We have recycling bins and paper shredding but no one has a waste-paper bin by their desk anymore.

1. Ace2 Silver badge

Re: Trash Cans?

I worked at a place that very sensibly ditched the plastic liners. Anything smelly or wet was supposed to go in a bigger, centrally-located bin. It seemed like a good system.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

That's certainly a possibility, but this could also be used as an incentive not to do so. I'd expect Google to have metics on this. They might even switch to robot deliveries.

3. NeilPost

… and central procurement skim volume rebates.

Hopefully they aren’t a profit centre !!

2. Brad Ackerman
      Holmes

It seems a bit of a stretch for cutting coffee and doughnuts to be in any way responsible for Carly Fiorina buying Compaq and spinning off Agilent.

1. fidodogbreath

Coffee cutbacks might explain the Autonomy purchase, though. Clearly the board was not fully awake during that meeting.

3. NeilPost

Gross extravagance

https://amp.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jul/28/google-commits-to-vast-london-office-despite-rise-of-remote-working

Catastrophic Strategic errors and vast wastes of money like the above massively expensive building and the London workers in it.

Re: Gross extravagance

They have to do something with the pile of cash. Expect them to sell any excess capacity at a profit.

1. NeilPost

Nothing that could not be done on a business park on the outskirts of Cambridge, Manchester, Dundee, Sheffield, Cork, Swansea, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Carlisle, Derry, Leeds, Coventry etc.

Stop

I don't see how your comment is applicable to my statement. At the worst, the investment in prestigious offices in London is a tax-deductible for Google, at best it returns a profit because property in London remains desirable. This is not necessarily the case in any out of town business park.

4. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Buses...

...are tricky.

Are you paying a contract or per trip?

Do you have to run a bus with no passengers from the City centre to the suburb early in the morning so people can get into the centre on the return journey?

If you cancel the bus because there is only one passenger how does that passenger get home?

(In Google's case a park and ride pre-order system would suggest itself. Nice little form filled in a week ahead. Vehicle sized appropriately).

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Buses...

Also, if you don't run the buses on a regular schedule people stop using them at all, because they're not reliable. Now you have a parking problem.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Buses...

"(In Google's case a park and ride pre-order system would suggest itself. Nice little form filled in a week ahead. Vehicle sized appropriately)."

So, what happened to Googles driverless vehicle program? The intercampus bus, with an app to book one as needed seems like the sort of "own dog food" Google ought to be eating. If a bus is due at 4pm and no one has booked it, is it really there?

5. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
    Joke

Google will no longer provide staples and sticky tape at print stations in offices.

"Hey, Boss, here's that report you requested. Be careful, though, as it's all loose sheets, in correct order, at the moment."

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Pirate

Seems to me that the cost of multiple employees spending ten minutes trying to find staples for the important document they just printed, or half an hour re-collating the printout they dropped is far more than the cost of providing staples at every printer.

After all, there aren't many printers. It'd almost certainly save far more to remove one printer. Pick one where there's another printer nearby.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge
        Joke

They never print anything at Google. They don't want to leave a paper trail.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

We've done a few deployments of "follow me" printer services. On install, the users are often surprised and impressed that the whizz-bang printers can even staple the print jobs for them. Initially, the "gimmick" is attractive, and many people choose the stapling option just to see it in action. Some months down the line, when the novelty has worn off, no one ever seems to take responsibility for ordering a new staple cartridge when the last one is empty.

Strangely, most of these whizz-bang multi-function printers, despite being clever enough to, and programmed to monitor usage rates and automatically order toner and other consumables direct from the warehouse and addressed to the specific site and printer, they CAN'T tell when the stapler is empty, DON'T count each usage of the stapler and NEVER order staple cartridges automatically. Any time someone gets called out to service one of these beasts, invariably the stapler cartridge is empty and often there is a manual stapler on the nearby desk.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

Ha ha, Chromebooks

Where Ctrl-C or Caps Lock is a problem.

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Ha ha, Chromebooks

So, Google is not (or rather was not) eating their own dog food.

Says all you may need to know about Chromebooks, really

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All the Googlers I know have Chromebooks.

Though they also have a "proper" computer because they can't do everything with their Chromebook...

2. snowpages

Control-C has worked as expected on any Chromebook I have used.

There is a two-key shortcut for Caps Lock, but it is not intuitive so I just had to look it up..

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Try running Linux GUI software, text won't copy/paste between Linux/Linux software and Linux/ChromeOS software if you use keyboard shortcuts. Or at least it didn't when I had the misfortune of using one for a while a few months back.

7. SnOOpy168

There was no mention of their generous free staff canteen. Something that I looked forward to , when I visit Google office :-)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

availability of staples and sticky tape becoming more limited

In my experience, when they start worrying about the cost of staples rather than making money the business is already circling the drain.

I mean, FFS, how out of touch with reality do you have to be to think that this bollocks is relevant to a business the size of Google?

You can get right to the top of a career in management without having a fucking clue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: availability of staples and sticky tape becoming more limited

... how out of touch with reality do you have to be to think that this bollocks is relevant to a business the size of Google?

Surprised?

Being out of touch with reality is one of the basic traits of the beancounter culture.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But the scale is what makes the difference. Maybe the staples aren't the best example, but it gets most clicks from news sites like this. The comment about the $1000+ phone is more interesting. According to a quick search, they have 190k odd employees at the end of 2022. If they all have phones and you take a $600 device instead of $1000, that makes a huge difference.

And the other reductions? Less muffins - save on food waste and energy. Empty buses - save emissions. Unused yoga classes - move it to a time it will be utilised.

1. Mark 65

Surely if they're all Google phones then they get them at cost not full retail price?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Surely if they're all Google phones then they get them at cost not full retail price?"

Don't be silly! if you ever worked in a large company, you'd know that ever subsidiary, every division, every department, every office, charges other parts of the business at the going rate for ever service provided to prove they are a profit centre not a loss leader :-)

9. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Communication

Once upon a time, long, long ago (well, the 1980's), when I worked for ICL in Reading, we had a company meeting arranged at Wembley Stadium conference centre. The day before I was at the canteen and casually asked the serving lady what they were doing the next day as no-one would be in the building. It was the first the catering stuff had heard of it. I think they were able to take some action to prevent substantial food wastage.

10. Bebu Silver badge

Monty Pythonesque

I have visited a Google building just once and my abiding impressions were echoed in Arthur's words on turning away from Camelot

"Well, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

Well I suppose what should one expect from the play blocks company?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like