back to article British govt tech supplier Capita crippled by 'IT issue'

Capita, a major business and IT services provider that has scored multi-million-dollar contracts with several UK government agencies, confirmed some of its systems fell over today due to "an IT issue." Staff at the London-based giant couldn't access their own work email, their Microsoft cloud accounts, and other systems …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No doubt more negligent Microsoft shite

Somebody sue them for all their assets.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: No doubt more negligent Microsoft shite

Plenty of doubt

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did someone forget to update some certificates? or was it a targeted Russian attack to find out our secret trade deals that will allow us to sell cheese to Asia?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

..and whisky don't forget.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes of course and to the continent of whisky drinkers at that. I raise a glass to Asia. Next they'll be telling us we are going to start exporting milk. Another popular drink on that continent...

The thing with cheese though and I've been to Asia is that in the whole supermarket I was in it was full of aisles of tinned fish and noodles (I love that stuff btw) I found two rows of four 250g blocks of English cheese. Red Leicester and cheddar. There was American cheese though (yuck, sorry America but it tastes like plastic) so I'm not really sure we're going to get much out of it but if all that lovely dirt cheap quality tinned fish and noodles end up over here I will be in heaven.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Yes of course and to the continent of whisky drinkers at that

They (Asia and India) actually produce some fairly drinkable whiskies. They also produce vast quantities of stuff they call whisky (which is as close to whisky as most of the stuff sold on Wild West saloons - basically raw alcohol with brown colouring and, maybe if you are lucky, some food flavourings in it..). All of it would be illegal to call whisky anywhere outside their contry of origin (and probably inside it as well).

Japan also has some *very* good whiskies.

2. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
        Coat

Aren't Japanese whiskies better?

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Are you saying some people will kill for 0.08%...?

3. Derezed

They need the map for exploring new pork markets too.

4. JimboSmith Silver badge

What about the Pork Markets?

3. sanmigueelbeer
  4. Bebu Silver badge

that nickname?

Had never heard of Capita so was thinking "knee capper" as in "you'll never walk again" but I noticed later in the article crapita which probably better as in "you're up to your neck in it." Where the "you" as always, is the poor customer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: that nickname?

Not to mention the poor employee or umbrella-ed contractor. When Crapita took over the client contract I worked for, I took one sniff of the air and walked.

AC as I am a coward at heart.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: that nickname?

Oh! I thought that was a reference to the Grauniad! ;-)

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Meh

The vulture has lost its bite

In the pre-SitPub days, they would have just called them Crapita like everyone else does..

The reg's new owners are going to earn themselves an unflattering nickname at this rate.

1. 43300 Silver badge

Re: The vulture has lost its bite

I think it was Private Eye which originally came up with that moniker!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The vulture has lost its bite

Remember that they published this half a day AFTER the Guardian...

5. Derezed
    Meh

Slow news day?

An IT issue? With cloud services? The humanity!

1. MatthewSt

Re: Slow news day?

Given it would be bigger news if it was affecting more than just Capita, this is less likely to be a cloud issue and more likely to be an on-prem issue (you can tell Azure AD to delegate auth to your local Domain Controller)

1. Derezed

Fair point. However I’m crippled daily by IT issues. Hey-ho.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Joke

As per the article, with Crapita out of action, they can't provide the contracted services to their customers, so many other company's and organisations are also unable to provide their normal levels of service. On the other hand, customer satisfaction levels are up and THAT is news :-)

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

ou can tell Azure AD to delegate auth to your local Domain Controller

But that would involve Capita actually hiring people with real skills rather than just the ability to use a search engine to pass an MCSE exam..

6. Ashto5

YES

Finally someone found a way to stop them

7. sanmigueelbeer

Payback is a b*tch!

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

... and nothing of value was lost.

I really can't thing of a more deserving bunch of wankers.

9. s. pam Silver badge
    IT Angle

Crapita, kings of finger pointing

Doesn’t anyone notice it’s never Crapita at fault, it’s ALWAYS someone else? This time the excuse is Microsoft next time it’ll be Cisco then after that it’ll be a PC supplier.

They really are CRAPITAL in the IT world aren’t they?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg Reporting.... oh dear.

Sorry to be an obnoxious pedantic, but.....

1) "that has scored multi-million-dollar contracts with several UK government agencies" I doubt Capita has scored a single multimillion dollar with any UK government agency. Multi-million pounds, yes, but not dollars.

2) "Blighty's National Health Service organizations," Nope. There are no organizations in the NHS. Just organisations.

3) "that use Capita's call centers also". No, Capita has no call centers, but it does have call centres.

4) "did not respond to The Register's specific inquiries" Probably not, but had you made an enquiry, they may have done.

There, fixed it for you.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

further pedantry ...

"organization" is a perfectly acceptable spelling in British English, and always has been; -ise/-ize is a more a "house style" decision than an internationalization. But I'm not that convinced that "house style" is that important - it just tends to lead to stupid rules about Oxford commas &c. and I'm firmly with Vampire Weekend on that matter.

Most British readers will know that multimillion dollar = multimillion pound but many international readers with some idea of what a dollar is worth won't necessarily know. I wouldn't want Japanese contracts reported here as their Yen value, as I can never remember even the approximate value.

And as for insisting on British spelling, I gave up on that years ago: I'm already typing center and color in my code and markup and, unlike pavement/sidewalk or trousers/pants (both cases where the US term actually makes more sense, ironically), there is no ambiguity.

1. claimed Bronze badge

Re: further pedantry ...

I’m with you except for pants and sidewalk making more sense… trousers are a specific item of clothing and pavements are not always to the side of a road. That is a strange assertion I don’t think is common, a better example is elevator (as lifts don’t always lift, sometimes they drop - elevators just change the elevation of things)

Spelling wise I don’t care which arbitrary set of rules we follow as long as we can all read and we don’t change meanings (like their, there), colour and color are fine

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Indulge me...

Pants is short for pantaloons. Underpants are what you wear under your pant[aloon]s. It's shortening underpants to pants that doesn't make sense: like shortening undercharged to charged.

Pavement is the artificial hard covering ("paving") of a thoroughfare: that includes the road itself (hence those road laying machines being called "pavers"). The usually but not necessarily paved surface that allows you to walk down the side of the road would seem to deserve a better name...

Pains me to say it, as I'm a Brit.

Still, none of this excuses MM/DD/YYYY for a second. I'm not that keen on the retention of AM/PM, either. Or Fahrenheit!

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Pavement is the artificial hard covering ("paving") of a thoroughfare

It's also the generic term for any extended horizontal surface of rock (as in 'limestone pavement' - the stuff that people were ripping up not so long ago so sell as garden paving)..

2. claimed Bronze badge

Consider yourself indulged ;)

I’m happy with your logic but I still don’t agree it makes *more* sense to use pants rather than trousers, they’re just different words. Not sure I know enough about the etymology of pants, pantaloons, pantyhose etc to know which came first and is more justified, and I am fine with sidewalk making sense but it’s also not *more* sense than British term. Upvoted nonetheless, also a Brit

1. Strahd Ivarius Silver badge
              Devil

and how to you can a "sans-culotte"?

the wrong answer will lead you to the guillotine...

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
        Facepalm

Obviously OAC was making a Tongue-in-Cheek, Eyes-rolling, or what the Yanks would call Passive Aggressive dig at the recent "AmericaniZation" of the Reg.

There's a lot of bitterness about this crappy relationship that we have with the US, don't you know.. It started with Tony Blair joining the damned Iraq war after 9/11, and since then we've had disaster after disaster in UK politics with only the super rich making themselves even richer, everyone else getting poorer, and politics dictated by Facebook, Microsoft, Google and TikTok.

It's like we've kicked ourselves out of Europe (to please the US, perhaps) only to become a Vassal State of both America and China at the same time..

3. Alumoi Silver badge

many international readers with some idea of what a dollar is worth...

Which dollar? US? Canadian? Australian? Liberian?...

2. nematoad

Re: Reg Reporting.... oh dear.

Thanks for letting me know about all the spelling mistakes in the article. Personally I gave up at "multi-million-dollar ".

Question: Are the Yanks so culturally impoverished and insular that they are unable to translate anything not couched in US terms, so have to be spoon-fed with amounts like X$ instead of the correct X£ ?

Oh, as it happens you are not being obnoxious, it' the enforced USification of El Reg that is getting up my nose.

Center, yeah, right!

3. Scott 26

There was a "ize" word in the BOFH last week - doubly insulting as Simon is a Kiwi.....

4. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Pint

> Sorry to be an obnoxious pedantic, but.....

I think you mean "obnoxious pedant".

Beer or Grammar Nazi, I can't decide.. But it's er, Late Sunday Evening.. Have a Beer.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge
      Trollface

Does that really matter, now that the future of UK is to become the 51st one?

11. DaemonProcess

bill paid?

Maybe they somehow forgot to pay Microsoft for a few months.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

timesheet

Will the staff get into trouble for not being able to submit their timesheets whilst the systems are down? Everyone knows that the main interest in outsourcers is submitting timesheets on time, even if they have to be put in 1 week in advance.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: timesheet

I feel this pain. Many times ours have to be made-up to fit in advance of the bizarre deadlines set by people 5 timezones ahead of us with different public holidays. And at the same time sending us snot-a-grams about how they're "financial documents" and must be fully accurate and on-time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah yes, the timesheets that we can never get the correct project codes for because it takes 2 weeks for them to create the codes, so everything goes down as a generic code. Fucking timesheets are useless and a waste of time if we can't do them correctly

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Ha, when I was blue, this was a major pre-occupation of the bean counters. To make sure we weren't 'delinquent' submitting our weekly timesheets, we had to submit them by midday Wednesday, so the latter half of the week was guesswork.

13. gcarter

When I worked for Crapita several years ago in the Cheltenham offices, I had a facepalm moment, where I needed to book a doctors appointment.

However on contacting my local doctors surgery, was advised I was no longer a patient!

Shocked, I asked why, only to be advised that they had written to me advising that if I wanted to remain on their patients list, that I had to confirm my intentions to do so.

(was because I rarely needed to go to the doctors)

On checking the next day, it turned out that Crapita / my employer, had screwed the pooch with the NHS letters not arriving for several thousand patients (myself included)

That was one of the final straws in my career with this crappy company!

14. JLV
    Trollface

Mistaken ingestion of canine nutritives

- Bill, can you tell me what is going here? I see an invoice for 6.4M for one month of email services, by Capita Communications LLC. Why did you not check with me?

- Well, that's us, innit? Who cares if it's overpriced, it's just the left hand feeding the right hand.

- Bill it is against company policy to purchase business critical services from other Capita departments.

(knock at door) - Ahem, sorry to interrupt, but there's a little problem with our emails...

15. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

Beer O'clock

Came early for some?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Beer O'clock

Hypothetically ..... those employed by the great and powerful C company may have no idea at all of when their systems may be back up and running.

So hypothetically ..... those employed as stated above may be required to sit on their arses waiting to be informed that they can start doing the W word again.

Hypothetically ..... the Easter Fsck Up Bunny (related to the Fsck Up Fairy) has arrived early!

16. Barrie Shepherd

Sounds like revenge of the TV License dodgers was behind it.

17. ecofeco Silver badge

IT issue?

That's a funny way to spell manglement.

18. Mishak Silver badge

"people familiar with the matter," said the outage affected ... video conferencing

Productivity should go up then.

19. elsergiovolador Silver badge

IR35

Gift that keeps on giving.

20. PeterM42
    Facepalm

364½....

.....strikes again????

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like