back to article Is Neuralink ready for human brain implants? Allegedly so

Neuralink is reportedly trying to partner up with neurosurgery clinics to carry out clinical trials testing its invasive brain-computer interface devices on humans. The bio-electrical upstart, led by founder Elon Musk, has spent years developing an implantable chip designed to probe the brain's neurons. The latest brain- …

1. alain williams Silver badge

Not in my head!

If Musk wants to do it -- good luck to him, I do not think that it will improve the Twatter share price.

1. corbpm

Re: Not in my head!

Probably would make it a requirement of employment at his plants.

Seriously though imagine your employer getting a 34% available brain utilisation report for the day and deciding your not working hard enough.

Push notifications to your brain implant from the needy machine in the corner all day.

I also like(?) the Sci-Fi idea of your brain being on a beach sipping a cocktail while your body is assembling the latest iPhone, courtesy of "Alternative Reality Inc."

How about "personality overlays" on either you to say be more personable to sell more cars or on the person your having to deal with so they appear to be less "whatever" offensive.

Good side, auto translate interrupting audio to the brain with translated audio, losing the original so it just sounds natural, 2.0 to lip-sync the video feed from the eyes to see natural lip movement.

Look in mirror and see new slimmer you for complete body dysmorphia.

Black mirror time.

2. TheMaskedMan Silver badge

No doubt some interesting science could be done, some useful results obtained. But who in their right mind is going to volunteer for this?? What do they get out of it for their trouble of having a hole drilled in their skull and wires jabbed into their brain?

It would be unappealing enough no matter which company wanted to do it. But how many falcon 9s did SpaceX lose before they got the landing thing right? Yes, I know it's right now, but still. How many glitches are plaguing Tesla? Detachable steering wheels anyone?

I think I'll pass on this one, let some other early adopters have a go first.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Judging by all the various Musk\Twitter, Musk\Cave Guy, Musk\Tesla debacles ad nauseam, it might explain a lot if he was a very early adopter.

Picture cause I found it funny.

https://cdn.mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Reaper-Musk.jpg

2. Filippo Silver badge

My guess would be, someone with some kind of severe neurological problem that might be addressed by this tech. If so, good for them, I hope it works.

Healthy subjects, though? The mind boggles. Ultimately, I think they could find a few, but they would be... interesting individuals.

1. Rafael #872397
        Terminator

Speaking of this, where is Kevin Warwick nowadays?

1. Helcat

Good old Captain Cyborg? He's Deputy Vice-Chancellor at Coventry University, apparently.

His 'Project Cyborg' looks to have completed some years ago with success, and he's been active up to 2017 according to his wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Warwick)

Other than that it doesn't look like he's done anything particularly noteworthy recently. Wonder how long it'll be before he's another research paper out. Or he's say waiting for his new cranial implant to let him unlock doors without needing a key or a chip in his wrist: He'll just bang his head against the door instead.

1. TRT Silver badge

Two and one half badgers, please!

3. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

It'll be ready. As ready as his autonomous cars aren't.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Stop

Why am I suddenly getting a nasty "The Ship Who Sang" vibe about having chips in brains & married with Elons self driving cars.

4. Terafirma-NZ

Move fast and break things

I fully get the mantra when engineering things but as for my brain, that's not a philosophy I am willing to follow.

As for his followers that praise him for anything maybe this will separate the truly dedicated.

5. james 68
    Black Helicopters

Danger: conspiracies ahead

How long before they're ad supported? Tickling the brains pleasure center every time you see a twitter ad thereby making ad watching addictive? Because lets face it, that's the only way Elon will make twitter profitable.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Airport fun

Bob, turn the scanner to “fry”…

7. Bebu Silver badge

Reaper?

https://cdn.mobilesyrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Reaper-Musk.jpg

More dim than grim.

The technology could eventually benefit those with spinal chord injuries or neuromuscular disorders but anything involving Musk has to be heading in the Cyberman/Dalek direction.

Perhaps if he does insert a chip into his brain the US courts might hold that he ceased to be a natural person and can no longer be a director of an incorporated entity. Those courts are typically nuttier than he so there is hope.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Reaper?

Cyberman, Cyberman, does whatever a cyber can.

Surfs the web, then he sighs.

Chats with girls (they're really guys).

Look out... here comes the Cyberman.

8. Potemkine! Silver badge

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

Having your own brain hacked, that's the future!

1. My-Handle

Re: "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

I'm not laughing man.

9. DS999 Silver badge

Make Elon go first

He's always making wild unsupported claims, it is time he lives with the consequences of his hyberbole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Make Elon go first

Maybe he already did?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Make Elon go first

That would explain a lot

10. xyz Silver badge

Can you imagine ...

Google KIAFDTP

(know it all from down the pub).

And you thought LLMs talked crap, imagine some builder from Barnsley pontificating his every thought direct to the internet.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

quick, quick

hyperlink, neuroloop, gotta do something so that people stop talking about that twitter-cluster-fuck! ;)

12. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Are we certain Elon hasnt already had one installed?

I mean with the sh&t coming out of the man, it cant be his normal brain operating, can it?

13. MaddMatt
    WTF?

MoreLeft Pondian references

As a supporter of the official Reg Standards, i have one issue with this article:

WTF is a Quarter - no idea how big this is, not i suspect to anyone not Left-Pondian.

If we are talking length - then Linguini or something more universal is there for the using. Area is an issue though a the Nano Wales is a little too large still.

How about the Pepperoni - specifically the one typically on frozen pizza - about 30mm across. (or an inch and a bit in good old British Imperial units - thanks to the US for maintaining the last bit of our empire).

(Edited to remove typos)

1. Kimo

Re: MoreLeft Pondian references

A US Quarter is just about the size of a £1 coin.

1. very angry man

And soon to be the same value

2. MaddMatt

Just gave me the surreal image (a bit like the valve logo) but of a head with a coin slot...

14. ukgnome

Unless they can make it exactly like MACH1 then it's a no from me.

15. Dave559 Silver badge

"Corrective therapy"

Sadly, I rather fear that there probably will be a "Department of Corrections" (and isn't that a horribly newspeak name in itself, although sadly real) in one of the more corrupt US states that will be only too happy to 'volunteer' prisoners as test subjects for this, as part of their 'correction' and 'debt to society'… :-(

16. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

1024 channels

... but nothing decent on any of them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like