back to article Where in the world is Terraform Labs villain Do Kwon? Montenegro, actually

The US Justice Department charged fugitive crypto bro Do Kwon with fraud on Thursday, just hours after Montenegro's minister of interior announced he had been detained by local authorities. According to a tweet by minister Filip Adzic, Kwon was "deprived of his liberties" at the capital city Podgorica's airport after being …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Where in the world is he?

Well he's certainly no Carmen Sandiego...

2. Grunchy Silver badge

It’s just as well, the only good time to visit Dubai is during Ramadan anyway. Well, because that’s the only time the attractions aren’t completely overrun by tourists, isn’t it. Just don’t let the po-po catch you with any food or water, or anything. Wrigleys? You can get chucked in the slammer if you can’t live without your chew.

… but outside of Ramadan, the whole place is a non-stop zoo.

1. Catkin Silver badge

Why would it be a problem to have food during Ramadan if you're not a Muslim?

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

I've been in Morocco and elsewhere during Ramadan and cafés serving (run by non-muslims, for non-muslims) used to put up newspaper to cover the windows so people observing Ramadan couldn't see you eating. You're not even supposed to smoke in public. A lof of variation across the Arab world of course, as you'd expect, and that was how it was in the cities - no doubt different in the tourist zones.

1. Catkin Silver badge

It's a shame that they can't understand that others might have different beliefs.

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Try going into an Italian Church in shorts, blowing your nose in a Japanese restaurant, putting your feet up on chair in Africa, eating beef in India, holding hands with your same-sex partner in good chunks of American sometime.

1. Anonymous Coward
  3. Potemkine! Silver badge

He should have known

When you steal money from the poor ones, it's called business. When you do from rich ones, it's a crime.

4. tony72

In these days of biometric passports, how can one travel so easily across multiple countries with forged documents? I mean, he got caught in the end, but there must have been a few legs between Singapore and Montenegro. Are the forgers able to fake biometric data too?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Chile started issuing biometric passports in September 2013, according to the Infallible Oracle, and Chilean passports are good for 10 years, so it's still just possible to have a forged non-biometric passport from Chile that hasn't expired.

No idea if that's what these gents were carrying.

5. GBE

Are there any legit "crytpo" businesses?

I'm beginning to wonder if there are any honest people running cryptocurrency businesses. Yea, I know, only the crooks make it into the news. I once saw a checklist to be used to determine if a business was a scan or not. It comprised a single question:

1. Does it involve cryptocurrency?

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"as true as Kwon's tweets"

Another fine, upstanding member of the funny money criminal underground.

Oh wait, there is no underground in the funny money market. It's all right there, above ground, and yet many people still don't see it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like