back to article NHS threatened with legal action over £480m patient data platform

Campaign groups acting on behalf of doctors and patients have threatened legal action over NHS England’s procurement of a £480 million ($582 million) “federated data platform”, as questions about patient consultation and compliance with data protection law remain unanswered. Lawyers acting on behalf of The Doctors’ Association …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ask???

Campaigners ask if Palantir's 'must-win' contract could see tech giants build products on NHS data ...

Do you really have to ask?

It is a bloody given!

Still selling the UK by the pound.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ask???

Still selling the UK by the pound.

It has been coming for a long time now.

Have a read here: 'Direct Democracy: An Agenda For A New Model Party'

From p.78:

“Our ambition should be to break down the barriers between private and public provision, in effect denationalising the provision of health care in Britain"

The Conservative screed was co-authored by Jeremy Hunt, Michael Gove, Daniel Hannan, Greg Clark, David Gauke, and Kwasi Kwarteng.

Published in 2005, 18 years ago.

Can anyone say they are surprised at what is going on?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Published in 2005, 18 years ago."

It'd be interesting to get a frank and honest answer from them to the question "Do you still believe that". Politicians have been known to change their views. Sometimes on a whim, sometimes in an attempt to gain votes and sometimes, though rarely, because they realised they were wrong. 18 years is quite a long time and most of those named have changed their positions on other policies.

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

"It'd be interesting to get a frank and honest answer from them to the question "Do you still believe that". " Of course they to. It started with Maggie.

They have always denied it, obfuscated etc., but it is still their basic belief.

Leopard. Spots.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

"Still selling the UK by the pound." Maggie started it then Brexit cemented it. I find it hilarious that so many Tories (and MAGAts and GOPs) claim to be Christians when they epitomise everything JC stood against.

2. Tubz Silver badge
    Trollface

Stop worrying, its the NHS, UKGov, Mega Corps USA and their spying cousins, what can possibly go wrong, not like we have a working GDPR/DPA laws with the USA holding our data, recourse in US law courts if they get it wrong and no track record of everything going titsup and over budget ? Smile and enjoy knowing that they will probably know when your going to catch something, when not to insure you and even better how long they can tax you before you die.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> they will probably know when your going to catch something

Well, I haven't had a major health crisis for a couple of years so it's probably due now..

3. Camilla Smythe

Death, Taxes....

Sell your shit cheap.

4. Dr Paul Taylor

Foxglove

I put my name on their mailing list, so they tell me about other campaigns and ask for money.

But they have no campaign info website and I got no answer when I asked for a form letter to send to my GP.

I did write to my GP in November and a month later demanded an acknowledgement, but I have still had no substantive reply.

Does anyone know of a coordinated campaign website?

1. Lil Endian Silver badge

No Palantir in Our NHS

I'm interested too. I found this No Palantir in Our NHS, which I assume is not the mailing list you subscribed to, although it is a Foxglove initiative. I hope that helps a bit. I will continue to dig.

[Edit: regarding your GP, make it a GDPR/DPA SAR (Subject Access Request), they'll be legally accountable then.]

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Foxglove

"I did write to my GP in November and a month later demanded an acknowledgement, but I have still had no substantive reply."

Probably because your GP knows even less about it than you do and s/he is probably quite busy being overworked by more patients than the practice can actually handle.

1. 43300 Silver badge

Re: Foxglove

GP practices normally have practice managers and admin staff - which should include someone with formal responsibility for data protection. There is no excuse for not responding to requests like this.

5. Lil Endian Silver badge
    Go

Thank You

A thank you to Dr Nicholl et alia.

6. gandalfcn Silver badge

"NHS threatened with legal action" Wrong.

NHS England, i,e. the Department of Health and Social Care threatened with legal action.

Big difference. NHS England is not the NHS.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Then, Now, The Future........NO Compliance With The Law.....

Quote: "...........pseudonymized data still counts as personal data, requiring consent before sharing....."

Yup....true.....but obviously Google/DeepMind and the Royal Free Hospital are EXEMPT:

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/03/google-deepmind-16m-patient-royal-free-deal-data-protection-act

Yup.....six years......no consent......1.6 million medical records.........no penalty for complete 100% avoidance of GDPR.......

More of the same to come with Palantir..................

8. Matthew "The Worst Writer on the Internet" Saroff
    Big Brother

I'd sooner give my medical data to Ernst Blofeld than I would Peter Thiel.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

something tells me

NHS England directors obviously fishing for future jobs in the tech industry.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like