back to article Now Google to shove its answer to ChatGPT into Gmail, Docs, apps via APIs, more

Google has promised to offer API-level access to its large language model PaLM so that developers can build it into their apps and workflows, and thus make the ChatGPT-like text-emitting tech available to world-plus-dog. The web giant is also threatening to bake the model's content-generating capabilities into Google Docs, …

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Unhappy

Gah

Why did I experience a sense of creeping dread as I read this article?

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Re: Gah

The problem with AI-generated text is that it's so verbose and waffly. It takes fucking ages to parse out what it's trying to say, and half the time it's wrong. And now you can have two different bots emailing each other to talk bollocks ad infinitum!

1. Dinanziame Silver badge
        Joke

"I bought two chess computers... And set them up to play against each other, so I have peace and quiet"

2. Falmari Silver badge
        Happy

@Insert sadsack pun here "The problem with AI-generated text is that it's so verbose and waffly."

So is the text I produce. AI generated text will be perfect me as the style verbose and waffly will be indistinguishable from mine own. No one will know some report or other was AI generated, because I was too lazy to write it. ;)

2. CatWithChainsaw
      Holmes

Probably because these developments are creepy and dreadful.

"It looks like you're trying to write an internet comment about the coming AI-fueled armageddon, would you like me to insert myself into your workflow?"

2. Kiss

Does it have to work?

So watch this space in AI. If AI fails, MS has an out to blame a 3rd party, Google does not.

MS software does not have to work for MS to be financially successful - this happens in a monopolistic world.

Monopolies remain successful by financially destroying their competition by giving away inferior software for free and copying innovative features from the competition. Once competition is gone you become the world leader and own the market.

Please name an originally innovative product from MS.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Does it have to work?

Please name an originally innovative product from MS.

Clippy!

2. MrMerrymaker

Re: Does it have to work?

"Please name an originally innovative product from MS."

Paint

3. xyz Silver badge

I cant read PaLM without..

Thinking about her 5 sisters.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like