back to article China launches yet another crackdown on social media

The Cyberspace Administration of China has continued its drive to clean up the internet, on Sunday taking aim at the behaviours of independently operated content producing accounts on sites like Weibo and WeChat, known as “self-media.” The move is part of Operation Qinglang, launched by the CAC in 2021 to create an online …

1. Plest Silver badge

"Hate the sin but love the sinner"

Much as I hate this crack down on free speech by the CCP and they are rather a nasty lot, speech it's a basic human right, I do have to give some props to the CCP for cracking down on vile social media. Social media is a curse on humanity, raising suicide rates, causing depression and basically screwing up lives for the most part, sure some positive aspects there but mostly just a boil on the bum of mankind.

China owns TikTok, they come down hard on it in China ensuring it only carries wholesome messages for the youth, outside China it's TikTok that's just a cesspit of complete shite, you could almost say that policy is deliberate but wash your mouth out for saying such a thing!

1. ChoHag Silver badge

Re: "Hate the sin but love the sinner"

First they came for the social media,

and I did not speak up, because it's a cess-pool.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Social media is a curse on humanity

You'll be able to find some scientific research that backs that statement up easily then.

Off you go.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I can watch a livestreamed shooting to back that statement up, there should be another one along in a minute.

1. iron Silver badge

Which is caused by easy access to guns, not social media.

You should try banning guns first, it works quite well. Just ask any country other than the USA how many school shootings they've had this year for evidence.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

We could ask New Zealand:

Facebook finally responds to New Zealand on Christchurch attack - social media's fault.

Christchurch shooting videos are still on Facebook over a month later - social media's fault.

A Year Later, Christchurch Attack Videos Still on Facebook - social media's fault.

2. localzuk Silver badge

There have been dozens, if not hundreds, of studies and papers on this topic now. This site has quite a number linked throughout the article - https://childmind.org/article/is-social-media-use-causing-depression/

1. sabroni Silver badge
          Facepalm

Re: his site has quite a number linked throughout the article

That article has this sentence in the first paragraph:

"Does that mean that Instagram and TikTok are actually causing depression? These studies show a correlation, not causation"

But at this point it's clear that asking you lot for actual evidence is a waste of fucking time.

2. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge
    1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      1. Lil Endian Silver badge

Be vewy, vewy qwiet. I'm hunting wabbits...

3. Ken Y-N
    WTF?

A rip-off of NVidia's I Am AI

This is the only thing I could think of watching that:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/about-nvidia/i-am-ai/

The voice-over even seemed like it was voiced by a text-to-speech engine.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

" '1984' was not supposed to be an instruction manual"

1. Lil Endian Silver badge
      Pint

But it is a great album.

1. FirstTangoInParis Bronze badge

Eddie will be wowing them up there

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1984? 1943 & 1949...

"Unity is strength" is a phrase first used in China in 1943. George Orwell wrote it into his "1984" when he wrote it in 1949. So yes, Orwell did his research and took his phrases from Communism, not the other way around.

5. FirstTangoInParis Bronze badge

One rule for them ....

Wondering what the CCP would say if Gary Lineker lived there .... for non-Brits, see here https://news.sky.com/story/the-bbcs-guidelines-on-impartiality-explained-and-do-they-apply-to-lineker-12830830

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: One rule for them ....

They don't say anything, the person causing the inconvenience just vanishes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like