back to article Catholic clergy surveillance org 'outs gay priests'

A Catholic clergy conformance organization has reportedly been buying up tracking data from mobile apps to identify gay priests, and providing that information to bishops around America. The group, Catholic Laity and Clergy for Renewal (CLCR), was formed in Colorado in 2019 and relocated its principal office to Casper, Wyoming …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Omnipresent Heavenly God

... or man made Hell on Earth?

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Religion

No not creepy as hell.

Nooooooooo

Yikes!

1. Insert sadsack pun here

Re: Religion

That dating app was just resting on my smartphone.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"That dating app was just resting on my smartphone."

Amazed I'm the first thumb up a perfectly subtle Father Ted reference. Well done Sir.

1. Kevin Fairhurst

That would be an ecumenical matter

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An example of this was done by a couple of Catholic reporters in the US last year. A new Catholc journal called "The Pillar" bought tracking data from Grindr and found that it was being heavily used in a particular church residence.

It resulted in the resignation of the gentleman from a significant position in the Catholic hierarchy in the US and ended his chances to become a bishop. The account can be found at https://www.pillarcatholic.com/pillar-investigates-usccb-gen-sec/

Yes, one of the reporters also lives in Colorado.

There are lots of questions about privacy here and apps selling data.

4. Bear

I would have thought the important thing about the chastity thing is that priests aren't sleeping with anyone, i.e. keeping chaste, rather who they aren't sleeping with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And that was Pope Francis' point.

But, "I was just browsing Grinder to better relate to my flock" has a teensy credibility gap baked in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That man can’t be described as Catholic in any meaningful sense of the word.

2. mevets

At the risk of being anti-CatLick

I am a recovered Catholic; but with my Irish heritage, a recovered Cat Lick.

The institution of enforced chastity had nothing to do with morality.

The key problem was that the serfs were set to have the first (male) inherit the lot; the second goes to service the army of the (land)lord; and the third goes to the church.

Process wise, the second almost always died before the parents.

So the inheritance was split between the primary, tertiary, and surviving others.

The one given to the church's family would process inheritance in a similar fashion.

This hurt the church's reach, so preventing the priest from having a family insured that all inheritance eventually fell into the church.

It is a nice example of how, despite so much evidence, the church isn't stupid. They are just playing a different game than you.

And you thought MicroSoft were evil.

1. Kane
        Devil

Re: At the risk of being anti-CatLick

"And you thought MicroSoft were evil."

Given the church has been around for circa 2k years Microshaft don't even get a sideways look in the evil stakes.

Although, give them time...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: At the risk of being anti-CatLick

> [Enforcing celibacy to prevent] the priest from having a family insured that all inheritance eventually fell into the church.

Interesting, but ironically- in the context of the original discussion- that's the one thing that *wouldn't* historically have been a risk with gay priests.

Indeed, purely from that specific angle, you'd have thought it might be in their own interest to encourage homosexuality as a "safe" outlet for sexual frustration.

3. Headley_Grange Silver badge

That would be rational.

4. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I was thinking the same thing, Priests are supposed to be chaste, so why are they targeting some, and leaving others?

1. theDeathOfRats

Do you really have to ask?

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Going to assume it was probably meant as a rhetorical question.

2. Stork Silver badge

It is not exactly new, the flexible view of celibacy: in Portugal they say “the best children are the priest’s “

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It turns out that they are targeting all priests who are using dating apps, not just gay dating apps.

5. jmch Silver badge

A lot of evils and troubles are stemming directly from the strictures that (a) priests should be celibate and (b) priests have to be male. It has much more to do with control and imposition than any spiritual function. There's plenty of evidence that the books / gospels of the New Testament were cherry-picked from many different available ones, and the 'rejected' ones (many of which were rediscovered in the dead sea scrolls) describe an early church that was far more woman-friendly than that imposed later on (4th to 6th century AD) by Rome.

In any case, outing anyone is really not OK.

Collecting and reselling this type of personal information is really not OK

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
        Boffin

There's quite a bit of evidence that suggests that at about 30,000 years ago women were worshiped as the most significant humans ... virtually all prehistoric statues are women, not men https://mymodernmet.com/the-venus-of-willendorf/

/joke I wasn't thinking about that yesterday but I made up, and told a joke ... Walk around the neighborhood and you see cats and dogs, the dogs run out and bark at you, the cats just sit there and purr. Have men evolved from dogs, and women evolved from cats?

2. the spectacularly refined chap

There's plenty of evidence that the books / gospels of the New Testament were cherry-picked from many different available ones...

The Dead Sea Scrolls didn't contain any candidate New Testament texts, most of them are too early and the rest are mostly of a secular nature.

What they did show, since it is Catholism at issue specifically here, is the heritage of many Old Testament books. A Protestant Bible has a section in the middle labelled "Apocrypha", neither Old or New Testament and not considered divine work. Catholic Bibles include them in the main body of the Old Testament. The Protestant argument for exclusion centred on they must be more recent since they had never been found in Hebrew.

Until the Dead Sea Scrolls found many of them in Hebrew...

Yes, the Churches (any Church) have a lot to apologise for, but making up fantasy to suit an ad hoc argument does not really advance your cause.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Ah but Catholic priests do not take the vow of chastity, they take the vow of celibacy.

It's the nuns that take the vow of chastity, demonstrating once again the positively Midieval mindset of the Roman Catholic Church. Men ? Don't marry, but you can diddle. Women ? Ain't nobody touching you but the Holy Ghost in your dreams.

Personally, I couldn't care less if a priest is gay or not.

Just leave the children alone.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Childcatcher

@Pascal Monett

Thanks for saying what needed to be said. +1. And thinking of the children.

Maybe if the men of the cloth could find their adult counter parts, we wouldn't have them molesting children...

7. abend0c4 Silver badge

The important thing is surely the hypocrisy.

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/16451/hexham-and-newcastle-in-turmoil-after-inquiries-launched

But you can't have religion without it.

5. trindflo Bronze badge
    Thumb Down

Prigs

"seeks to help clergy live by the church's teachings"

I don't think so. This isn't about evil priests harming anyone, and as far as I'm concerned celibacy is about making sure that all property acquired by the Catholic church remains in the church and is never diverted to heirs. You don't act like a devil to do holy things. This smacks of everything foul about religion. The priests are generally the best thing about the church with few exceptions and digging up their dirty laundry just because you can is vile. This is no public service; it is stroking someone's self-righteous ego.

1. Richard Jones 1
      Thumb Up

Re: Prigs

Sorry, I can only give you one up vote.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

Look at the person most hypocritical in the general area... bishops, cardinals, large families with 'traditional roots' that are also of said religion, etc etc etc...

You'll be surprised by what you find.

I'll just point at the dynasty that Alex Murdaugh stems from (yes, that lawyer dude recently convicted in South Carolina of murdering his wife and son over his shady dealings and his debts) - Same deal there, just nothing to do with Catholicism.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Look at the person most hypocritical in the general area... bishops, cardinals, large families with 'traditional roots' that are also of said religion, etc etc etc...

Nothing necessarily strange about that. As Monty Python explained, every sperm is sacred. Sex is for procreation only, because that way you can grow your flock. Or sell indulgences for impure thoughts or acts. Ok, so they eventually banned that one, and it's just a few Hail Marys. Plus because procreation only, birth control is also banned. So Catholic families tend to end up large, despite any problems that might cause. So that's kind of up to the Pope to change, or other versions of Christianity are available. Fundamentally though, it's not our job to judge each other, that's up to the Big Guy and is true for many religions. Perhaps these outraged outers will meet their makers, get reminded about throwing stones, and discover their souls now weigh somewhat more than a feather.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"and is never diverted to heirs."

There's almost always heirs in the bloodline. The "employer" is very far down that list. It's certainly not a given that the church will get the inheritance. Although I'd imagine there's great pressure on the employees to stipulate the church as the prime or only benefactor in their wills.

4. DoctorPaul

That's why I tend to Cathar beliefs - "never trust a Church that needs bishops and their ilk"

6. Bebu Silver badge
    FAIL

Doubt the provenance....

"Pope Francis suggested gay priests should be celibate or leave the church."

I am pretty sure a Jesuit such his Holiness would know the difference between celibacy and chastity.

I would think these quasi-religous KKK types would better apply their efforts to eradicating the kiddie fiddlers and other abusers from their Church. Perhaps a task for the (Spanish) Inquisition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Doubt the provenance....

What is the difference?

2. Kane
      Joke

Re: Doubt the provenance....

"Perhaps a task for the (Spanish) Inquisition."

Who would expect them?

7. mevets

Its 2023.

Why would gay people hide behind the cloak of a religious superstructure?

Pedophiles maybe, I guess definitely, but they have nothing to do with gays.

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: Its 2023.

It is 2023, which means that many priests currently in service could have been ordained as far back as the 70s. As the stigma of being gay gradually recedes (and you can be certain that in some conservative* communities that stigma is still strong), less and less gay men will take refuge in the church to cover their sexual orientation. But also, less and less people will want to become priests. Churches in 'the west' are already having to 'import' priests from 3rd-world countries. Ultimately the church will die out unless it allows female priests and/or married priests

*I mean it in the mentality sense not the political sense although there surely is quite some overlap there

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Churches in 'the west' are already having to 'import' priests from 3rd-world countries.

So the solution is a captive breeding program, like with pandas?

I don't think gay priests are going to help much.

2. Orv Silver badge

I think, back in the day, a great many men with sexual desires that were seen as unacceptable joined the church in the hopes that the enforced chastity would keep them from indulging.

Don't forget the fantastic frocks

3. martinusher Silver badge

Thanks for that last remark.

I'm neither religious or gay but I obviously have friends and neighbors in both camps. I cannot say strongly enough that the idea that all gay people are pedophiles is total crap. This 'nudge-nudge' type BS is propagated people people who don't understand the relationships involved in pair bonding and are probably hideously insecure in their own sexuality.

I think Pope Francis has the right approach -- its a sort of "Don't ask / Don't tell" approach that recognizes how frail human will can be but at the same time recommends that if sex is a world you can't live without then you're probably better off not in the clergy (or join the Orthodox mob -- their priests not only can marry but are encouraged to).

8. Snapper

Wouldn't it be more useful to check when priests or shamans of any particular sky-fairy cult spend a lot of time alone near children's dormitory's.

I think that would be far, far closer to Christ's teachings.

9. Rikki Tikki Bronze badge

I feel that some commenters are rather missing the point, with their desire to slag off the Catholic church.

This is about privacy, not the moral status of the church or of individuals. In this case, an organisation is "digging dirt" on individuals who may be doing something that is not illegal, but contrary to their employer's policies and feeding said information to the employer.

If the article had been about people digging online for information about, say, women seeking an abortion, then feeding the information to an employer or another third party, I'm pretty sure the vitriol would be directed differently.

Incidentally, also, although I believe the Anglican church does allow clergy to enter same sex civil partnerships, they would in those circumstances also be expected to remain celibate.

1. Filippo Silver badge

It is about privacy, but it is also about the catholic church. To clarify, I quote you:

>In this case, an organisation is "digging dirt" on individuals who may be doing something that is not illegal, but contrary to their employer's policies and feeding said information to the employer.

If that employer was, I dunno, a mega-tech such as IBM, Alphabet, Meta or MS, and that employer had a policy that explicitly discriminated against gay people, you can bet that said employer would have extreme amounts of vitriol directed at it.

Similarly, when the problem is that someone is violating the privacy of women seeking an abortion in a state where it's illegal, there's usually plenty of vitriol directed at that state's government.

The fact that this comments page is chock full of vitriol directed at the catholic church is simply because it's well deserved, and another society that behaved in the same way would get the same slagging off.

Privacy is not an absolute right. Sometimes there is a public interest in breaching privacy. Catholic priests are influential people who promote and raise funds for an anti-gay, anti-consensual sex organisation. They're also quite insistent on the importance of personal behaviour. If their personal behaviour contradicts what they preach - there could be a legitimate public interest in exposing that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>raise funds for an anti-gay, anti-consensual sex organisation

Hey it's not just misogyny and homophobia, don't forget the racism, antisemitism and terrorism.

2. Filippo Silver badge

Fine, but let's not play the poor persecuted christian being fed to the lions, okay? This story would be every bit as outrageous - possibly more - if the employer was a private company or the public administration.

10. wolfetone Silver badge

Love one another, as I have loved you.

Unless of course we don't agree with that sort of love.

11. Ken G Silver badge
    Windows

Ignore religion for a minute.

This is a case where an enterprise has a mandatory policy for its staff. The management have confirmed the policy but aren't strictly enforcing it. A 3rd party, who is presumably a customer of the enterprise, feels so strongly about the policy that they are paying to detect breaches of that policy outside of the workplace and publishing those breaches to pressure management to apply it in the case of individual staff so detected.

The question is, if you were in a similar situation, would you be happy with this arrangement? (let's say your employer had a no drugs policy but you lived in a country where they could not require urine samples and you smoked up at weekends). If not, what would you do about it?

1. Filippo Silver badge

Re: Ignore religion for a minute.

It's very difficult to ignore religion for the sake of argument, because if you ignore religion, you end up in a completely different situation: if it was a regular for-profit company adopting a policy similar to the catholic church, the employee would simply sue for discrimination well before any 3rd party even had a chance to come into play.

The drugs example is also not terribly helpful, because drugs are illegal or at least regulated almost everywhere, and can easily be argued to impact your workplace performance. None of that applies to being gay. I'm not saying whether I'd be fine or not with such a policy, only that it is a poor metaphor for the original situation. Too many critical differences.

Overall, I don't think "ignore religion" leads anywhere useful, unless we also imagine that organized religions have to play by the same rules as every other employer. I'd love that idea, but it would be an entirely different discussion. As things stand now, the fact that this employer is an organized religion cannot really be separated from the matter at hand.

12. Paul Smith

Land of the free

I am so glad that I am not an American.

Re: Land of the free

>I am so glad that I am not an American

Quite glad I'm not a priest

13. Rol

What would Jesus have done?

It really is extremely hard to get your head around the fact that the most "devout" followers of a religion, are more likely to diverge 180 degrees from the teachings of their prophet and saviour.

Jesus, supposedly, did not preach hate. In fact quite the opposite. Yet his hardcore fans are nothing but soulless, hate-filled, misanthropes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: What would Jesus have done?

Yes, but remember, Jesus is the child of a rape victim; the father being a narcissistic, genocidal, racist, sexist, homophobic bigot who didn't give a shit about him, even when the child was being executed.

So no wonder he rebelled

Also being your own father is likely to be confusing, if worthy of a special edition of Oprah

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

It does beg questions about his relationship with his mother.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It's a Reverse Oedipus: first you're the father, then the son, rather than the other way around.

Eventually it became too much trouble and he gave up the Ghost.

14. Rol

"Hello. How can we help you?"

"Well I'm starting this new business up and could do with some help with the PR"

"Well, you have come to the right place. We at 'Chew it and Spit PR offices' are the world leaders in advising in these matters, so what is it you're selling?"

"A new religion. Well, a newer version of an older religion I suppose"

"Ooo. Let's just stick with new religion, don't want the two business models getting confused. Has it got a name?"

"I was thinking, 'Bugger You All' "

"Ah, I don't know."

"Well, with all this hate going on in the world, I thought I'd capitalise on it and get some of that market"

"It's been played to death has that one. All the major religions have focussed on that tribal us and them exclusivity thing. You're gonna have to come up with something new"

"You've taken the wind out of my sails, I'm not sure what to suggest"

"Tell you what, the whole love thing hasn't been tapped into yet. Now that would make your religion stand out a mile from the others"

"Love?"

"Yeah, love. Instead of hating anyone who isn't in your gang, you love them. Then they might think about joining"

"Oh yeah, that's a great idea"

"OK, so what about a better name than 'Bugger you all'. What's your name?"

"Jesus"

"Err, err. You're not giving me anything here. Middle name?"

"Christ"

"Err, yeah, that might have some mileage. Tell you what, I'll get an opinion group together and they can brainstorm some ideas for a name. Some play on Christ might fit the bill. We'll see"

"Now what are your policies? The tenets of your religion?"

"Beating on queers. That's got to be top of the list"

"Err. Can I stop you there. That isn't really well thought through. Don't forget we're coming from an all inclusive love angle. You can't go beating on anyone."

"Alright then. You're making this very difficult and all I want is some easy money"

"It's not going to be easy Jesus, I'm thinking to really sell this business, you might need to make some personal sacrifices"

"Like what?"

"Well I can see the big picture here, and you being nailed to a cross and crucified would mega-boost the ratings"

"Whoa. You can stop right there. You're mad. I'm taking my business elsewhere"

"Fine, but I should point out, a lot of the makings of this new religion is my IP, and the streets are full of down and outs that would die for this opportunity"

"Fine, you do that. I'm off to the stoning to cheer myself up"

And so the PR company that had up to that point concentrated on manufacturing boy bands started a new department manufacturing religious ideology and the rest as they say is history...rewritten and edited to suit the narrative through the ages.

No it was just an advertising campaign.

Cohen's bread, wine and model crucifix company of Jerusalem needed a new gimmick.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did El Reg reach to CLCR for comment or are they just copying press releases from a third party? I would hope that they followed some ethics after criticising others for perceived moral failures.

1. Rol

The piece doesn't really come with an editorial. El Reg's opinion in this matter is not stated. It is as you put it, copied from other sources, and presented as such.

The discerning reader can form their own opinions. And as this publication tends to attract a higher than average cohort of discerning readers, I think it can be said that this article is unlikely to change the perceptions of those readers, as to the crazed minds of religious zealots.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

No - you will find that they are not targeting gay priests as the headline and story suggest. With 5 seconds of research they would have found out that they are looking at all dating apps, not just gay ones. This does change the story quite bit from "evil homophobes attacking innocent priests" to "uptight Christians trying to keep their clergy on the straight and narrow".

Or is that too subtle for a discerning reader?

Well, that changes everything… not.

Indeed. The privacy-invading inquisitorial creeps aren't exclusively homophobic. Let us dance in the streets.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

' "Reached by phone, a CLCR spokesperson said, "We have no comment. Have a blessed day." '

3. Filippo Silver badge

>Did El Reg reach to CLCR for comment

Er, yes they did. It's in the article. CLCR chose not to comment, so if their point of view isn't represented, it's entirely their fault.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The FCC in the US is hamstrung by the refusal of 3 democrat senators to support Biden's candidate for the vacant commissioner post, leaving the commission split 50/50 and unable to agree to do much about anything (i.e. just how the major Telcos like it).

1. Orv Silver badge

3 Democrats *and* every single Republican. I mean, Republicans have agency too. If three of them wanted to step up and do the right thing that would get the job done.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One Question

Is the app called Gaydar?

1. Barrie Shepherd

Re: One Question

I was under the impression that Gaydar, a leading App (althogh a website) in its day had passed away and was no longer the App of first, second, third, fourth....... choice.

Re: One Question

TBF if anyone could bring an app back from the dead, it would be the Catholic Church

18. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

"identify gay priests, and providing that information to bishops "

Is this to make it easier for the bishops to find a date?

1. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

Re: "identify gay priests, and providing that information to bishops "

Thats impossible, they have been waiting for jesus to return for 2000 years, religions are never good with dates.

>they have been waiting for jesus to return for 2000 years

So how did you treat him last time he stopped by?

But we're so much nicer now!

Oh, wait.

2. Rol

I remember as a lad, hitch-hiking my way down to Bristol and in the pouring rain got a lift in a very nice Jag. The driver told me he was a senior cleric for an evangelical church and his role was to mentor and support the other clerics through times of crisis, which normally revolved around their sexual urges and how they might better suppress them.

Twenty minutes into the journey he pulled off of the motorway and dropped me at the services, as it was clear his offer of dropping me right at my intended destination so long as I sucked his cock was never going to happen.

I imagine he's now some high ranking Bishop and continues to this day to abuse those who are seeking solace and guidance.

19. vcragain

My first question would be - who says the Bishops doing the investigations are beyond reproach themselves ? Seems to me after reading a lot of incidents regarding the sexual exploits of far too many Catholic priests that the whole structure is suspect. I would not be trusting any of them at this point as their profession appears to have been used as a system where they can easily hide, hence all of them are now suspect ! The idea that any of them would be posing as representatives of a higher order of values makes me really mad - HOW DARE YOU !!!

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Joke

Are you bashing the bishops?

Just the one, I suspect. But, who doesn’t?

20. coddachubb

Clemency and transparency

Maybe all the data sets used for these sorts of purposes should be exhumed into the cloud so that a more divine entity can make appropriate interventions?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misleading Headline

It turns out this effort is not actually directed at gay clergy, but ALL clergy who use dating/hookup apps. So it is not about outing gay clergy but misbehaving clergy.

If this were about corporate executives misappropriating funds or embezzling money this effort would be seen as very clever.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Misleading Headline

The money was just resting in my account.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Misleading Headline

Sensible, ethical people would see it as an invasion of privacy and an abrogation of the investigative rights of the State, which themselves should be granted only through due process.

So why don't you take your tiresome refrain somewhere else, eh?

22. CowHorseFrog Silver badge

But Jesus was gay, isnt this hypocritical.

And yes any jewish man who was not married by 20 would have been considered strange back then, so 30 can only mean one thing for them.

He was a nice Jewish boy who was also God, where is he going to find a girl his mother approves of?

Certainly not some Welsh tart

I quite like Welsh tart.

But then I'm not the messiah...

>But then I'm not the messiah...

Are you a very naughty boy?

Gimp

That is what my "play partner" tells me...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And your deep research into the social conditions of first century Palestine is found where?

23. lamp
    Meh

It's fine for them to be gay

Just leave them alone. Instead, track and hunt down the paedophiles, whatever their orientation.

24. The Velveteen Hangnail

Makes sense

Gotta protect the pedophiles by redirecting attention to innocent scapegoats, right?

25. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Holy shit…

How can this be legal?

Also:

“On Wednesday, FBI Director Christopher Wray confirmed for the first time at a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing that the agency has in the past "purchased some such information for a specific national security pilot project, but that's not been active for some time."”

Project “Treadstone”, presumably?

It's legal because it hasn't been made illegal, and it hasn't been made illegal because it is 1) profitable and 2) useful to those in power.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Outing the priest?

Are they outing just the homo-priest, are are they outing the kiddie-fondler priests as well?

The churches as a whole are clearly just a foundation for men (and women) clergy who don't have the ability to have real relationships with people.

In a few years, I fully expect that we'll be having the lesbian clergy up before the public for fondling 6 year old girls.....

27. martinusher Silver badge

The Church is political in the US

Although we're supposed to have a separation of church and state in the US the Catholic Church does exert an outside influence through lobbying efforts and its presence on the courts. (The Supreme Court has a bunch of Catholics as members and they're not like Biden who is Catholic but 'normal' -- these people are serious extremists). The US Conference of Bishops is also an extreme right wing organization (they'd say "of course not" but judge them by their actions).

So its not surprising that groups of Catholics see nothing wrong in acting like a fascist secret police. Individual Catholics are OK but as an organization they're a nasty piece of work. They don't like that wimp Pope Francis much, either -- he's far too liberal for them.

Re: The Church is political in the US

The Supreme Court has a bunch of Catholics as members

Six of nine: Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Sotomeyer, Kavanaugh, and Bryant. But the latter two have only been on the bench a few years, and it's hard to see Sotomeyer joining the other five in some sort of Catholic cabal.

And this is a historical aberration. Only 15 of the 115 SCOTUS judges have been Catholic, so nearly half of them are presently on the bench.

I'd argue more for undue organized-Christianity influence of various competing sects in US Federal and state government. The pressures applied by various Evangelical organizations since the late nineteenth century are well documented, for example. That's not to give the Roman Catholic Church a pass – they put their thumb on the scales whenever they can – but it's a scrum, not a coordinated movement. And even in the RCC there are many differences of opinion; it's not nearly so consistent as it likes to pretend.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like