back to article Arm co-founder: Britain's chip strat 'couldn’t be any worse'

Another of Arm's founders has criticized the UK government over its technology strategy, or rather the lack of it, as the country's long-awaited semiconductor blueprint has still yet to be published. Jamie Urquhart, one of the co-founders of the Brit chip design company and who now works as an adviser, said the government's …

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

The government does care two pence

The government's sole job is to suck up as hard as possible to the USA, even to the detriment of this country.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: The government does care two pence

Not quite. Their role is to sell out to whoever provides them with the greatest personal opportunities although they might prefer those came from the US.

2. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Now there's a challenge

"couldn't be any worse" has proved to be a fairly temporary state of affairs with the current government. This is the same group that gave us Brexit, The Hostile Environment, Trussonomics and replaced Patel with... Braverman. They're certainly up to this challenge.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Now there's a challenge

Exactly. Makes you weep for the strong and stable administration of Gordon Brown.

The worse thing is that none of the problems around lack of strategy, were anything hampered by EU Membership - indeed Horizon membership and EU equivalent the Chips Act would have. Roughy structured investment opportunities.

It’s everywhere. Look at the clusterfuck around even a single Battery Giga-factory.

1. Red Ted
        FAIL

"...a reference to the tendency of successive governments to tear up the previous administration's policies."

Given it has been the same lot in power for over 12 years now, that isn't really an excuse either!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The Tories successfully manage to get away with repeatedly claiming the previous accumulated clusterfucks have nothing to do with them after every change in leadership. It was wearing a bit thin but then luckily for them Truss came along.

2. codejunky Silver badge

@Red Ted

"Given it has been the same lot in power for over 12 years now, that isn't really an excuse either!"

Not quite. While the same party has been in power for 12 years including a stint in coalition with the lib dems it is difficult to say the same lot have been in power all the way through. There have been moves left with a jaunt to the right here and there but the Tories are a bit fragmented. Kinda like labour when the commies took over. Hell they even had to plot against one of their own who was voted in by conservative members to get the existing government. And it seems Boris and his group are against Sunak.

Just a bunch of infighting tribes it seems instead of a government to run the country.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Well the government did decide to give bankers their uncapped bonuses back - is that not what matters to modern Britain?

Oh and we got our "red white and blue" Brexit, but of course that mix is really rather brown...

1. JohnMurray

And blue/black passports (although with my new implanted lenses in my eyes, they look dark purple!)

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
        Facepalm

Ah, yes our proud new Brexit passports! Made in the EU (specifically Poland https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/22/new-brexit-blue-british-passports-actually-made-poland-12283240/)

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

There is no good reason why they should be made in Poland. I imagine that practically no other country in the word outsources their passports.

2. Rol

I would imagine an IT industry becoming a runaway success in the UK would have the financial industry in a tither.

As it currently stands, the UK's financial industry is by any measure our only industry, and that gives them clout in every political decision that has ever been made in this country, and by their hopes, ever will be.

In America, where the IT industry, by its shear might has political power, that perhaps in some scenarios outguns that of the financial world, our financial services sector has perhaps looked on that and taken steps to ensure their dominance in the lobbying halls of Westminster will never be challenged.

It is clear, the IT sector in the UK is not short of mega star talent to get us there, but the finances required will never materialise, beyond a smattering of venture capital and woefully inadequate government grants, which will no doubt filter back towards some rather dubious "investors" via consultancy fees to their associates.

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Technology strategy

I don't think we've had a government technology strategy since Tony Benn - at least we got Concorde and Post Office tower out of that

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Re: Technology strategy

While we were in the EU things were rolling along quite nicely (on the tech investment and education front), but only because of EU. Now the ship is totally rudderless.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I seem to remember the having and maintaining of R&D and regional investment strategies that lasted longer than The party in power at Westminster was seen as a good thing. It does look like a new generation is having to relearn the lessons of the 1970s & 1980s…

Large amounts of political competence that doesn't exist within the UK influenced UK positively. Now we are stuck with a bunch of incompetent toffs trying to steer the ship.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Large amounts of political competence that doesn't exist within the UK influenced UK positively.

Are we really going to try and argue the EU's record on political competence given that just sitting in the top headlines at the moment we have the Ukraine war caused by the EU greenlighting the invasion to Putin and blocking Ukraine joining NATO at Putin's request, a continent wide energy crisis caused by EU policies, a worldwide food crisis caused by EU policies, and even the Guardian (the staunch EU nationalist paper) is arguing that running the same regulations as when we were in the EU is risking a disastrous food scandal from dangerously unsafe food imported from the EU?

"EU greenlighting the invasion to Putin and blocking Ukraine joining NATO at Putin's request"

Bit of rewriting history, and simplifying stuff going on there, I believe?

So EU blocked NATO? What was UK doing at the time?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

About food imports, if the UK were still party to single market agreements it could do something about substandard food. As it is, the whole of the EU knows that the substandard stuff can be dumped on the UK which now has no in-market controls or legal remedies and has chosen to waive import controls to avoid slowing down the supply chain even more. Before this food would probably have been destroyed.

2. PhilipN Silver badge

Sadly reminded of TSR2 and HS146 :-(

5. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

The Tories are only interested in boosterism. Reality is irrelevant to them. First the Fat Spaffer, then airhead Liz-Inflation-Truss.

Sunak is more rooted in reality, but sections of his party will fight him hard.

UK's FPTP system is now beyond repair and defunct.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Sunak = better than Boris and Truss

I bet his mum's so proud

2. JohnMurray

Sunak is rooted in his personal bank balance...

1. Altrux

Well, no - arguably it's a good thing. He's not doing this job for the money.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

I'd dispute that. While Sunak is probably the wealthiest Tory, most of the them are what would be considered wealthy with wealth running from a couple of million to hundreds of millions. Just because they have enough money to live comfortably, even luxuriously, on, does not mean they don't want more. In fact, the kinds of people who get their bank balances up that high often aren't satisfied with a few million. They want 4, then 8, then 16 and so on.. If people didn't think like that, we'd have fewer billionaires, as they'd get to a couple of million, think "I'm comfortable now" and give up.

That's not to say everyone is like that. I've known people who got their bank balances up into the low millions, and actually did decide they can live comfortably on that, and give up working.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But Sunak isn't starting wars doing deals so he can get a few $200,000 speaking tours in the USA to fund his retirement

6. alain williams Silver badge

"locate manufacturing over the next five to 10 years"

That is more than one or two electoral cycles into the future. What interests politicians are things that they can brag about when next at the hustings. Even worse the other lot might be in power then, so why do work today to help the opposition in the future?

7. nautica Silver badge
    Meh

You neglected one very obvious option

"I think the government are just either unwilling to grasp the nettle or maybe they've got way too many things to do and aren't thinking about it."

...OR, the obvious option: perhaps they simply don't know anything about how to go about solving the problem.

And, not to put too fine a point on this: "...aren't thinking about it." is a foregone conclusion, and direct evidence of not knowing anything about how to solve the problem.

Re: You neglected one very obvious option

I'm not even convinced they think it's a problem.

As long as they're alright, Jack.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Stupidity, ignorance and failure to consult come to mind way before they actually start thinking about anything ....

2. Roo
      Windows

Their strategy is not to have a strategy. Meanwhile the Finance industry is quietly packing it's bags and leaving now the cupboard is bare and the action is happening over in the EU, again the strategy is not to have one.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DCMS?

"The government's official semiconductor strategy was expected at least as far back as April last year, when Lord Callanan informed the House of Commons that the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport was working on one "to be published shortly.""

Err, why would the DCMS be looking at semiconductor strategy? Surely it ought to be a science or technolgy or business-led strategy/policy/whatever? !!! :(

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: DCMS?

Well given the changes at DCMS, suspect the strategy is on hold until the reorganisation dust has settled…

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

But, look! It says "Digital", so it must be science!

3. DanDanDan

I read elsewhere that it is no longer under the remit of the DCMS, but now under the newly formed "Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT)". Quite bizarre that it ever fell under the same department as sport in the first place, but at least it's been promoted to a sensible department now.

I bet the DSIT is lead by some no-mark toff as usual.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The Science, Innovation and Technology Minister is Michelle Donelan (History and Politics from York). She was minister at the old DCMS from September before that. Before becoming an MP in 2015 she worked in marketing, according to Wikipedia.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
            Facepalm

Hurrah, just the CV you need for sciencey stuff.

As she's just moved to the DSIT from the DCMS, she's brought the chip strategy with her in her briefcase/pocket/on the back of a postage stamp, so that bodes well.

2. JohnMurray

Sensible govt department?

That's gotta be an oxymoron

9. pimppetgaeghsr

Nothing but deluded oxbridge BA graduates in the Cabinet room, so no surprises there. Even go to the tech capital of the UK, Cambridge where ARM is headquartered and you will find nothing but out of touch upper-middle class folk from the private school system in leadership positions well beyond their skill level. It's an old boys club and anyone with talent is exploited and underpaid to keep the class system structures in place.

All ARM's serious designs are done in the US for that reason and their little cores will probably follow suit. 110 Fulbourn road is full of do-nothing jobsworths and middle managers and Softbank hasn't copped on that all the real talent got fed up and left years ago.

1. captain veg Silver badge

oxbridge

This analysis is broadly correct, but let down by:

"Nothing but deluded oxbridge BA graduates"

and

"the tech capital of the UK, Cambridge where ARM is headquartered"

The "bridge" part of "oxbridge" stands for Cambridge. Where ARM is headquartered. You can't bash Oxbridge while praising Cambridge, unless you've got a serious downer on Oxford.

Which is possible, I suppose.

-A.

1. BebopWeBop
        Devil

Re: oxbridge

Wwl Cambridge is always where the serious maths is done. Oxford used to have physics, but the PPE has really driven down the standards of the place.

1. Tim99 Silver badge

Don't forget "Greats" (Boris Johnson, Literae Humaniores). The last STEM PM was Margaret Thatcher (Chemistry, Oxford), maybe not all of us would want that? Disclaimer: I'm a Chartered Chemist...

1. NeilPost Silver badge

As a Chemistry grad… I’m personally embarrassed by Dr Therese Coffey, currently Secretary of state at DEFRA and Chemistry PhD.

As an ordinary Briton I am personally embarrassed by Dr Therese Coffey, currently Secretary of state at DEFRA and Chemistry PhD.

-A.

2. Roo
              Windows

She has added Chief Turnip to her qualifications.

2. Andy Landy

ah yes, the three proper universities... Oxford, Cambridge and Hull

3. pimppetgaeghsr

I wasn't intending to praise Cambridge, it's just the reality that companies have consolidated here or tried to open small satellite offices, you've got 5 big name companies all within 500m of one another at the train station. But the culture in Cambridge is reflective of the UK tech scene in general, the only way to get to a 500k house is getting a management position, through your friends and alumni network and it turns out to be an old boys club, tech workers are exploited and not even on 40k and quickly leave, the better negotiators can get to 80k/90k, but still, there is many unseen networks in such a small city.

ARM Cambridge is representative of this, lots of product managers and very few skilled CPU designers. Everyone wants to be a manager because the UK class system dictates that "manager" is higher up the importance and salary ladder as someone with 15 years of in-depth experience. Very few have the chops to keep up in something as competitive as computing these days. We are seeing Intel and IBM in the late stage of this culture and the results are not pretty.

1. Altrux

And your 500k house will only have 2 bedrooms if you're lucky. (I'm from Cambridge but found it a very difficult and unfriendly place to operate in, so I left many years ago now).

4. jotheberlock

'Oxbridge /BA/' - so arts degrees, not the techies (well, I say that, I'm a techy and my degree's in history, but by and large).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ian Bush
          Headmaster

Note both Oxford and Cambridge give BAs for all their first degrees - I hold a BA (Oxon) in Chemistry

But a large part of the problem is successive ministers have seen the science and technology budget as there to fund their own pet projects, rather than supporting any coherent national plan. IMO millions have been hived away and wanted that way. Boris Johnson and George Osborne are especially at fault here.

That's nice.

Don't you just pay for your second degree? Presumably acquiring an appropriate title.

-A.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Unless it's changed, the upgrade from BA to MA at Cambridge is free. They get you back to update their address list for where to send the begging letters, and charge you for the fancy dinner, but the degree is free.

10. BebopWeBop

"I think the government are just either unwilling to grasp the nettle or maybe they've got way too many things to do and aren't thinking about it," Urquhart said.

He was being polite. They don't have a clue and are filling in their time looking busy pursuing anything that will distract the public.

11. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

World Beating Brexit Britain

What's odd is that Tories are usually chasing 'the next big thing' as a means of putting tax payer money in their bestest pal's back pockets, earning a back-hander and party donation for their efforts, ensuring a lucrative career when they leave politics.

So what does it say that there's no sign of any interest in having a tech strategy?

It makes me shudder speculating on what they might know which no one else does.

I presume they see tech as some kind of manufacturing industry, incompatible with their brexit vision of making Britain a third world country while they wall themselves up in their Singapore on Thames enclave with the bankers and the rest of the elite mega-rich scum.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: World Beating Brexit Britain

>It makes me shudder speculating on what they might know which no one else does.

What it says is "There's more money in buying up smaller landlords and jacking up rents" (for example). Why work at building an industry when you can just squeeze monopolies?

To give you some idea of the kind of mess we're in the US's much vaunted "lets bung 50 odd billion at the industry (but with this restriction, that restriction and we'll need oversight to make sure China isn't getting any of it indirectly) is rather larger, but not that much larger, than the pot of money on offer from just one Chinese province.

The deLorean......remember it?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Leaning to Port

Good Lord, it seems the commentardariat seems to have swung quite a lot away from the Right since I joined in 2007. Or maybe it's the Right that are getting further away. Interesting.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Leaning to Port

I think it's more about people having started to recognize clowns as clowns.

Not my country and I am no expert, but I seriously doubt Britain has ever during my adult life been run by anything as incompetent and clownish as this Brexit government.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

One back Tony Blair. You were largely competent, and just a tiny liar.

"Small state" can be taken too far. When the government stops governing, what't the point of having it?

The minimum task for the government is to uphold a balance that makes the country run well and the people reasonably happy, and free from suffering.

The Tories have failed in doing this for a very long time now -but the people is used to this sort of thing, and seems to positively enjoy hardship. (As long as arriving small boat people can be made to suffer more.)

3. TimMaher Silver badge
      Coat

Perhaps it’s “posh”?

As in “Port out, Starboard home.”

13. ecofeco Silver badge

Couldn’t be any worse?

Wanna bet?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power strategy first ...

It's very hard to have a chip fab strategy when you don't even have a stable power supply strategy.

Fabs need a lot of stable power. Taiwan has multiple power stations dedicated to supplying theirs. Its not the kind of facility you can run off generators if everyone decides to put the kettle on.

1. NeilPost Silver badge

Re: Power strategy first ...

Next to Hinckley Point C then ??… Though the fab maybe completed before the power station.

You are implying that planning is an option. These Tories don't do planning.

1. JohnMurray

You jest.

Just look at the planning behind the pandemic troughing

I didn't say they can't do planning. They just won't do it to benefit anyone but themselves. Such as benefiting the plebs.

15. codejunky Silver badge

Hmm

If the government doesnt know what to do it would probably be better getting out of the way. The government at best is a small collection of people and central planning does not work. So leave it to the people who do know what they are doing and get out of their way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So leave it to the people who do know what they are doing and get out of their way.

The problem is that the average "people" have no idea what they are doing, which is not just evidenced by the fact that the same "people" happily vote for snake oil salesmen and autocrats (as it happened numerous times throughout human history).

Ancient Greece already knew that for democracy to work, an educated populace is required. With "people" mostly voting based on fear and ignorance, it shouldn't come at no surprise that the resulting government is subpar.

16. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Is our government actually doing *anything* for the benefit of the country? They only people they seem to be serving are their friends. They've done nothing that might even look like it might help the country.

17. Binraider Silver badge

How does this differ from a complete lack of a whole bunch of other strategies needed for Agriculture, European and International Trade, Energy, Teaching, Workforce planning, or a hundred other areas with well documented failings?

There's one consistent feature about it. It's the incumbent government behind it.

Fully expecting downvotes from die-hard defenders, but it is time for the incompetents and charlatans to go.

1. Commswonk

Fully expecting downvotes from die-hard defenders, but it is time for the incompetents and charlatans to go.

As someone whose political views are more "conservative" than anything else it grieves me that I cannot at the moment think of a single argument in support of the current government.

Perhaps it really is time "for the incompetents and charlatans to go" but I cannot find any enthusiasm for anything any other party is likely to bring to the table. As a constituent of the present Mr Speaker I will have no vote at the next General Election so at least I am to be spared the agony of having to make a choice.

1. Binraider Silver badge

A very fair point. Old-school conservatism has certain desirable features.

Labour aren't exactly top of my favourites list; but in the absence of a voting system that allows people to meaningfully vote for an option of their choice (i.e. MMPR instead of FPTP) your only options are the ERG-lead Conservative party; or Labour.

I'll take a change over the status quo, if only to force the issue of addressing the incompetence and cronyism of the incumbents.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Words fail me

So, people with "expertise" in media and sport are working on our industrial policy. Even if they were to come up with one, would we actually want it?

19. Ken G Silver badge

"couldn't be any worse than it is at the moment."

Michelle Donelan

Hold my beer!

20. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Don't go grasping nettles

Not too familiar with UK traditions, but why is the gobermint responsible for the chip industry? Just build the fabs already and start burning silicon; it's called free market. If nobody wants to buy from you because somebody else is doing it better and cheaper then go think of something else you can manufacture better than anybody else, like cars for example.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Don't go grasping nettles

The car industry got screwed up by non-tarrif barriers due to the B word, which everyone is trying to pretend hasn't happened. Any new fabs will face much the same problem.

Also, no money will be forthcoming unless directorships for chums are available.

Re: Don't go grasping nettles

All over the world establishing major new plants tend to require loans, cheap or free land, and tax concessions. That's the price to get the jobs.

21. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Government Strategy?

Since when has any Gubbermint in the UK had a strategy for any industry other than to let it wither on the vine?

I'm old enough to remember Mr Harold Gannex and Pipe Wilson cancelling the TSR2 and buying the US made Phantom 4. That killed a lot of the UK Aerospace industry. Subsequent Governments of both parties have continued this trend. BREXT killed more investment in one go than the last 7 PM's combined.

We are Doomed....

22. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Unhappy

I can write the semiconductor strategy that most governments over the last 50 years have favoured in two sentences: "for sale to the highest, preferably foreign, bidder. Brown envelopes welcome."

23. herman
    WTF?

Private Enterprise and Capitalism

The government should stay out of the way, init?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Whats New

Successive governments have been killing off UK industry since they helped destroy the car and then computer, chip, and electronics industries, among others. Their only interest has ever been in the short term finance and "service" sectors and they seem to have cleverly even managed to doom these sectors now. They can't even provide a sensible strategy for UK farming and are in the process of subjecting us to the worst of the world's agriculture with GMOst thrown in for good measure.

In the EU they did not have a clue how to cope with state sponsored industries from other companies and let them do what they liked in the UK at the same time encouraging foreign takeovers of anything remaining in the UK that looked promising.

Cleverly we are now out of the EU and instead of supporting UK they are doing the opposite.

Every other country in the world looks after its own except th UK - what a mess.

Just for good measure the NHS no longer exists.

Oh - one success story - UK libel laws are so appalling that the rich and famous choose to litigate here.

25. Tron Silver badge

Game over.

quote: we are waiting for the government to come out with a semiconductor strategy.

Why are we waiting? Everything the British government touches, fails. Especially in tech. They are the last people you want to involve themselves in your sector.

Nationalised tech has always been little more than a sexy version of British Leyland. I guess they want free money to build a chip plant and replicate what half a dozen other countries are now doing. The nationalist dream is not very green is it? It also costs billions and takes a decade. The UK doesn't have the cash any more and Sterling is worth 25% less courtesy of Brexit and everything is priced in USD, so what we do have doesn't go so far.

The UK needs better water management. It needs green power and EV infrastructure. It need to grow more fruit and veg. All of this needs subsidies. What do you prioritise?

Maybe the biggest problem is that VC in the UK works like an ATM. Money in, money out. Never much of an attempt to build a GAFA-style business. The US have Google. We have Crapita.

We do have great innovation. Sir Clive was attempting to build electric vehicles decades before Musk. Imagine what a decade or two of development in association with someone like Lotus might have come up with.

Does the UK even need to be technologically self-sufficient, when we build bugger all? We were brilliant in the 80s. But aside from the Raspberry Pi, how much retail tech do we build here? The jewel in the crown, ARM, got flogged off, with big payouts for some folk.

The future is not in AI, but it may be in distributed processing. Only nobody is trying to build GAFA 2.0 by doing that. And it is actually quite cheap - no subsidies required.

quote: Europe and the UK needed to have access to critical technologies so as not to be dependent on other countries such as the US.

Why clump Europe and the UK together? The EU is now a competitor. A dependency upon the EU is no different to a dependency upon the US or Japan. We jumped out of the window and we haven't even hit the floor yet. The UK is now isolated. It doesn't have enough people to dig up carrots, it can't afford the energy to plant tomatoes and some hospitals are ending gas painkillers for giving birth - switching back to old school screaming I guess. This is (badly) managed decline and you want free cash to build a miniature silicon valley here? Building anything increases your carbon footprint at a time when people are being fined for driving into cities and have to crawl from A to B in residential areas at walking pace in their EVs. Drought incoming for the summer again, despite plenty of warnings. This country has no future. You want to do well in tech, emigrate.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like