back to article Germany to court Indian IT talent – starting with easier visa application processes

German chancellor Olaf Scholz has expressed his country's intention to import more qualified IT workers from India. "India has so much talent to offer and we want to benefit from that cooperation here in India but also with an eye to recruiting and attracting those talents to Germany and employing them there in our industry …

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Joke

experts suggest that skilled Indian nationals that go abroad often stay abroad

May be Satya Nadella and Sundai Pichai will buck that trend and move back to India

1. Down not across

Aren;t they already bucking the trend by staying? The experts were talking about "skilled Indian nationals"....

2. Denarius
    Trollface

so what happened ?

Germany was supposed to have very good universities producing many skilled engineers. Has everything been outsourced to China, India and bits of Eastern Europe leaving western Europe a mere producer of wokes ?

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: so what happened ?

It still has very good universities producing skilled engineers. But there's need for many tens of thousands of engineers in the various industries in Europe and the current crops from all universities put together probably sums up to not even ten thousand engineers. Most universities produce maybe 100 engineers a year for things like mechanical engineering or IT related topics. There simply aren't enough people over here interested in the field.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

"There simply aren't enough people over here interested in the field" at the prices companies are willing to pay.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

No, just the amount of people going to university for tech/beta fields isn't enough to satiate the need for the majority of tech jobs (including chemical, electrical, mechanical engineering). That's before any of them decide to have a job in the industry or not. Just west of the border (Netherlands) there's still a lot of demand for IT jobs at very decent pay too, but not enough locals to fulfill those functions.

2. Ken G Silver badge

Germany's population has been retiring at a faster rate than it's graduating for decades. Like many European countries, it relies on immigration to maintain the economy.

Anyone who can speak English can easily learn German.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anyone who can speak English can easily learn German.

Have you tried?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Have you tried?

Pfft, it's easy! Achtung schweinhund! Schnell! Schnell! Raus! Raus!

<coughs>

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Schweinhund" would be capitalised in German (it's a noun).

/pedant

:)

2. Ken G Silver badge
          Facepalm

Yes, of course. I work with French and German speaking colleagues and clients.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Except for Mark Twain.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

"Anyone who can speak English can easily learn German."

yeah.... just No.

Das meinst du nicht wirklich doch? Deutsch ist nicht ganz so einfach.

1. Lars Silver badge
          Happy

@imanidiot

You are mixed up with the "easily".

4. OhForF' Silver badge

German language skills not required

If you have one of the skill profiles requested by the German industry and are willing to work for not much more than a minimum salary and speak English there is no need to learn German.

I am not based in Germany but work for the German industry. I am fluent in German but a lot of meetings with people based in Germany are done in English as >15% of my co-workers do not speak German (well enough).

As far as i know none of the non German speaking co-workers is from India though.

5. Lars Silver badge
        Coat

@Ken G

Very true.

Anybody can learn a second language and English and German are both Germanic languages.

However the thing is that the Germans get along in English quite well. I worked in Germany in IT and used mainly English but I did improve my rubbish school German (my second foreign language in school) as it's good for your off work life, and why not.

Having people from India working in IT in Europe is of course nothing new, and is true in many European countries.

6. sketharaman

When I lived in Germany, they'd tell me, "German is a very difficult language. Just because you can speak English doesn't mean you can learn German so easily. There's only one You in English. There are two forms of you in German, Sie and Du."

I'd tell them, I come from India, in Hindi, there are three forms of you, namely Aap ("Sie"), Tum and Tu ("Du"), in some parts of India, mother calls child "Aap" and in other parts of India, everybody calls everybody else Tu, so don't worry about me. That'd stop all hints that I couldn't pick up German.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"anyone who can speak English..."

I wish you were right, but I've been trying to learn German on and off for years and I'm still bloody useless at it. Perhaps you could change it to "Anyone who can speak English can easily learn German unless they are bad with languages in general, went through the English school system when grammar was regarded as an instrument of the Devil, and are constantly bewildered by German's rich case system, gender structure and word-ordering".

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: "anyone who can speak English..."

Genau

2. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

It's weird that I'm so bad at German considering my cousin is completely fluent. I'm sure the minor fact that she's German has nothing to do with it.

1. Ken G Silver badge

Language skills aren't genetic.

3. Ken G Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I considered myself bad with languages until I was dropped in a job in Germany for a few years without the expected support. My German clients all spoke excellent English but that still left me tongue-tied at lunch and in the evenings until I picked some up. A similar experience in Brussels before that taught me more than 6 years of French in school. I don't speak either well but I can generally understand what people say to me and get out a response, though if it's important/work related I will speak in English and listen in the other language.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a difference a change in government makes

A former German Federal Minister for Technology once campaigned with the slogan “Kinder statt Inder” (Children instead of Indians). suggesting Germans needed to have more children in order to have more IT workers, not import Indian workers. That was in the year 2000 and he was from Angela Merkel’s CDU party

1. sketharaman

Re: What a difference a change in government makes

I was in Germany at the time and I remember the slogan very well.

2. Ken G Silver badge

Re: What a difference a change in government makes

I'm not sure government breeding programmes ever go over well, or that factories can employ children legally these days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like